'21 VA CB Tony Grimes (North Carolina commit)

I think the difference for 2020 is in the trenches. Currently, OU has us beat at the skill positions. The secondary is likely a push. But in the trenches is where we "should" really control the game. We should have one of the best OLs in the country next year. We are returning every starter and possibly (likely) have Cade Mays added to it if the waiver is approved. That's a ton of experience on an OL that was pretty good in it's own right last year. And we have a bunch of quality deoth as well. OU also lost their best DL to the draft and LSU completely owned that DL during the playoffs. Granted, LSU was loaded on the OL last year with several 2020 and future draft picks, but our 2020 starting OL likely has at least 4 future draft picks as well. Looks very good here.

Defensively, our DL was our biggest improvement as the year went on, and we return every player, along with getting Gooden back. OU also returns an experienced OL with at least a couple of future NFL draft picks, but they were manhandled vs LSU. Again, it's hard to compare our talent to LSU in that regard, but we are VERY deep and experienced at DL in 2020. I like our odds here as well.

Other than QB, i'm not even sure they have a leg up on skill position. They have multiple WR's out for our game.

Other than QB, i'm not even sure they have a leg up on skill position. They have multiple WR's out for our game.

That's true. I do like them better at RB with Brooks leading the pack, even though they are a bit thin on depth with Stevenson suspended. I don't know what to make of Rattler at this point. Are the past 5 years a representation of Riley's offensive ingenuity, or more of a reflection of the talent he's had to work with? You get drafted No.1 overall based solely off coaching. I'm more impressed with what he did with Baker, being a former walk-on. Murray and Hurts were both transfers with experience a good 4/5 star pedigrees. We'll see how Rattler plays out.

pit is fandom we do not compare to them at this present time. Their 3 deep is serious while ours is OK and young but nothing special RIGHT now.

Well my friend. If all goes well there will be football this Fall. And the Vols will travel to Norman to see which one of us is right.

I like our defense, and OU will not see one like ours all year.

Thanks

However, Baker to Murray to Hurts didn’t have coronavirus issues and probably started executing with the offense and getting timing with receivers in February not July. I doubt we see a well oiled machine on offense that early in the season.

I get your point but as a coach and offensive guy Lincoln to me is top 3 in the land. He will hv it figured out and ready to rock and roll. I believe in the Vols but what affects them also affects us. It’s a double edged sword. All I’m simply stating is they’re program is a more stable and ready than ours at this point. The players they depend on are further along than ours, and hopefully we’ll both be starting new qbs

I get your point but as a coach and offensive guy Lincoln to me is top 3 in the land. He will hv it figured out and ready to rock and roll. I believe in the Vols but what affects them also affects us. It’s a double edged sword. All I’m simply stating is they’re program is a more stable and ready than ours at this point. The players they depend on are further along than ours, and hopefully we’ll both be starting new qbs
Seems like our best chance against OU is ball control. Create enough long scoring drives that it forces their explosiveness on offense to work against them a bit by exhausting their defense. Add in winning the turnover battle and we have a legitimate shot.

Seems like our best chance against OU is ball control. Create enough long scoring drives that it forces their explosiveness on offense to work against them a bit by exhausting their defense. Add in winning the turnover battle and we have a legitimate shot.
Yeah we'll probably need to be somewhat run heavy that game and sustain those drives.

I agree with you about Lincoln. Brilliant offensive mind. I think our head coach is a brilliant defensive mind also though.Should be an entertaining matchup

They’re going to load the box and force us to beat them passing. Not sure with JG and unproven WRs that can happen. With Covid-19 and lack of practice time HB will be ready for a game like this but he has shown me otherwise before in his Hs career.

Eric Gray should feast on that Oklahoma defense. Trey Smith will be baptizing people.
i think our O line in general should do aight. and we can rotate backs.

conversely, i like our DL and back end. though it'll be a tall order to be really ready for lincoln reily's offense....good news, i guess, is the transition to qb and some other skill positions, and it being early in the season.

it's hard to see us going in there and winning this game. but i do think there's a path.....and it starts on the line of scrimmage. and ends with praying that our qb situations isn't a situation.

i think our O line in general should do aight. and we can rotate backs.

conversely, i like our DL and back end. though it'll be a tall order to be really ready for lincoln reily's offense....good news, i guess, is the transition to qb and some other skill positions, and it being early in the season.

it's hard to see us going in there and winning this game. but i do think there's a path.....and it starts on the line of scrimmage. and ends with praying that our qb situations isn't a situation.
I know our dline is going to be good, but I hope we are ready for their oline as well, I believe they returned everyone.

Reactions: TurnoverTrashCan
From what I've seen and heard, Spencer Rattler looks like he's going to be the truth. I wouldn't be so quick to assume this one of of those typical newb QB situations. Redshirt freshman who has been groomed since day one to be the guy, and he's in OU's QB friendly system. To win that game we will have to run the ball and keep their offense off the field, no doubt.

Reactions: Pacer92
i did not know that. so yeah, that's a match up worth watching for sure.

Don’t hold me to that, but for some reason I thought I saw it somewhere. If that’s the case, it will be a tough game. We both return our oline, and dline. So if we want to win our corners and whoever plays next to Toot is going to have to play All-American ball. They have the better QB and WR’s.

Don’t hold me to that, but for some reason I thought I saw it somewhere. If that’s the case, it will be a tough game. We both return our oline, and dline. So if we want to win our corners and whoever plays next to Toot is going to have to play All-American ball. They have the better QB and WR’s.
i don't think anyone expects us to be better than them, or even equal to, at the skill positions....

the silver lining is their QB is new....but there are worse offensive situations to be thrown in to than OU's. lol.

i don't think anyone expects us to be better than them, or even equal to, at the skill positions....

the silver lining is their QB is new....but there are worse offensive situations to be thrown in to than OU's. lol.
Well when you return everyone, including four 5 star WR’s, it doesn’t matter.

From what I've seen and heard, Spencer Rattler looks like he's going to be the truth. I wouldn't be so quick to assume this one of of those typical newb QB situations. Redshirt freshman who has been groomed since day one to be the guy, and he's in OU's QB friendly system. To win that game we will have to run the ball and keep their offense off the field, no doubt.
Yeah #3 on the Heisman watch list or something. Everyone thinks he'll be great because he's OU's qb throwing against Big12 push over Ds. Putting up video game numbers. Hope we give him a nice welcome to SEC play. Just sayin.

i mean, i get it. talented QB....but it is different, a lot different, going from HS, to this level of P5 football.

and it's the 2nd game....

and if we have a QB this year.....man. i really do think we're a QB away from winning 8-10 games this year...

Reactions: volsagain

VN Store

Back