UTSA? Lose/Lose Situation?

Lady_Vol

A two loss UTSA is coming into Neyland on Saturday. They’re not a powerhouse team. If the Vols win and blow them out of the stadium, it’s a “who cares” win or worse, the team gets the false impression that some serious problems have been fixed, leaving the Vols rolling into the South Carolina game still a mess and setting them up for a beating.

Even worse case scenario, the Vols were to come out flat and lose to UTSA, that would be a disaster.

The UTSA game could be a potential trap game and a lose-lose situation for this team’s mental toughness and SEC readiness.

I like Coach Heupel and I’ve been pleased with the progress of this team since he took over, unfortunately this year we seem to have taken a step back. I still think he is the right guy (although that timeout with 9 seconds to go made ZERO sense). I truly hope that Coach Heupel gets the kinks ironed out. This does not look like a disciplined, driven football team.

Just give me improvement, good tackling and play a lot of young players early and often.
I agree. Its time to see if some of these younger players can contribute, especially in the secondary and OL. And no I'm not talking about Nico even though personally, I don't think Joe is good enough to run Heups O. I would be ok if Gaston Moore played as long as the O doesn't look like a bunch of kids just starting out in pee wee league.

I agree. Its time to see if some of these younger players can contribute, especially in the secondary and OL. And no I'm not talking about Nico even though personally, I don't think Joe is good enough to run Heups O. I would be ok if Gaston Moore played as long as the O doesn't look like a bunch of kids just starting out in pee wee league.
It's one of my big complaints about this program. We always seem to wait until we're up 40 before we put youngsters in and we never seem to get up in games we're supposed to run away with. Then when we do get up big, we put them in en mass with the second and third teams. Instead put the ones that are further along into the game with the first teamers and let's get them some really meaningful reps. I know folks will say I've given up on the season, but I never expected anything more than 8 wins from this bunch. With what we've seen so far, especially from our secondary, what are we going to lose by playing several of the younger players while the game is still on the line? We recruited them because we had confidence they could play so let's get them into the game and let's see what we've got to work with. Play Nico for a few series in every game. Mix in those young DB's and WR's early and often. Play our young, athletic LB's while the game is still in doubt. Show a bit of confidence in these kids. We know what we have in these upperclass starters and it's not taking us any further than 8 wins and maybe Nashville this year.

It's one of my big complaints about this program. We always seem to wait until we're up 40 before we put youngsters in and we never seem to get up in games we're supposed to run away with. Then when we do get up big, we put them in en mass with the second and third teams. Instead put the ones that are further along into the game with the first teamers and let's get them some really meaningful reps. I know folks will say I've given up on the season, but I never expected anything more than 8 wins from this bunch. With what we've seen so far, especially from our secondary, what are we going to lose by playing several of the younger players while the game is still on the line? We recruited them because we had confidence they could play so let's get them into the game and let's see what we've got to work with. Play Nico for a few series in every game. Mix in those young DB's and WR's early and often. Play our young, athletic LB's while the game is still in doubt. Show a bit of confidence in these kids. We know what we have in these upperclass starters and it's not taking us any further than 8 wins and maybe Nashville this year.
Totally agree. And maybe some of these folks step up when given real opportunities

Reactions: Tnslim1
I watched UTSA last week. Not the whole game but enough to know that they are a very good team. An up tempo team that looked a lot like CJH runs. Could give us some problems. Just sayin.

This is a good game to try some different things and try to find what we are missing.

I think we should play both Nico and Moore. Let Milton start but then take him out early and rotate the other 2. Try some new things. See who runs the offense the best and makes the best decisions

Reactions: Pickle1
I heard they got pushed around by Army last week. Well i don't know, Army is tough to prepare for and right now our offense has 3 plays they run and the defense looked charmin soft in the first half. Who really knows. I don't think Tennessee is a very good team right now. Players or coaching so no telling what could happen. Are they better than Austin Peay is what you should be asking.

A two loss UTSA is coming into Neyland on Saturday. They’re not a powerhouse team. If the Vols win and blow them out of the stadium, it’s a “who cares” win or worse, the team gets the false impression that some serious problems have been fixed, leaving the Vols rolling into the South Carolina game still a mess and setting them up for a beating.

Even worse case scenario, the Vols were to come out flat and lose to UTSA, that would be a disaster.

The UTSA game could be a potential trap game and a lose-lose situation for this team’s mental toughness and SEC readiness.

I like Coach Heupel and I’ve been pleased with the progress of this team since he took over, unfortunately this year we seem to have taken a step back. I still think he is the right guy (although that timeout with 9 seconds to go made ZERO sense). I truly hope that Coach Heupel gets the kinks ironed out. This does not look like a disciplined, driven football team.
It’s a get back on track game for UT

I question his decision not to kick the FG on 4th and 1 from the 10. I thought the TO was silly, but I think it speaks more to his competitiveness.

Anyone questioning Heupel at this juncture is insane. I’m glad to hear you aren’t lol. What he has done with what he has is nothing short of incredible. He’s not perfect, but he is a good coach and lost a lot of playmakers that were not until he and his staff arrived.

I have felt all summer this easily could be an 8 win team that could surprise me and win a max of 11 games. My gut told me we could lose more. I was concerned about our OL play, because we lost two starters. One of which was a top 10 draft pick. Then when Mays went down, I became very concerned.

Without solid OL play it impacts everything on offense. Even Hooker struggled last year when the OL lost in the trenches. We have yet to see Milton have the time both QBs had to throw last year. He has shown he can perform when he does. Our OL has started out slow before and gotten better as the season goes on.

In fairness to our offense, they didn’t have a lot of opportunities and that is due to our DBs missing tackles that would have been stops and playing soft play after play. We had plenty of 3rd and long situations that would have given the ball back to our O. The refs definitely called a one-sided game which made it even more difficult for a better than average team to beat a desperate Florida team in the Swamp.

As far as the UTSA game goes, we need a game like this to work on some things. Of course if we lose, it’s a lose situation. But a convincing win is a positive. I think it will be nice to have the home advantage for two games as well.

I am still hopeful. We really need Mays back. I also wonder about Pili’s impact as well.

It kind of is, in a sense. UTSA is 1-2, but they're a well coached team with a very respected head coach. They were a borderline top 25 team, and trendy pick to get the non AQ New Year's Six Bowl bid. Problem is, most casuals don't know that, and if they see Tennessee struggle with a 1-2 "UTSA" it's gonna raise some eyebrows, even if it really shouldn't.

This^
Wouldn’t hurt some of our senior starters to get some pine time.
The bench can be a great motivator…….

It's a win if we dominate and win the game.
Agree to an extent but the OP is right. I hope (and think most everyone else does as well) that Milton lights them up and plays great. So what if he does? Hypothetical but let’s say Joes stats are something like 21/30 290 3 TDs 0 INTs, about 45 rushing yards with a TD or 2. Now I would consider those stats pretty good. Wouldn’t you?

But if that happens, on here you will hear oh big deal it was UTSA. I mean there are people who still try to denigrate Milton’s performance against Clemson because they said Clemson didn’t care. Yet Clemsons high draft picks played. But if Milton plays great it will be no big deal it’s UTSA. If he plays bad, it will be look he can’t even play good against UTSA.

This is a lose/lose scenario for Milton and Heupel for a portion of this fan base.

No it’s not lose lose. If we look good and win handily, it will be we took care of business and looked much better. Austin Peay was ugly, UTSA despite being 0-2 has some good offensive players. No it’s not a Lose Lose by a longshot it is a chance to get on track and get some rythmn on offense and get on the same page on both sides of the ball. Only folks with a very narrow and limited amount of football knowledge would even think this is a lose lose. This is a go out and improve and play better no matter the opponent. This is a good game to right the ship, UTSA has a better offense than Virginia or Austin Peay and probably throw it better than Florida. Not that we should win and win convincingly but we only do that if we play better and that is the real win that matters. GBO

Reactions: 24/7vol

VN Store

Back