UTSA fan here

Fellow San Antonian here(transplant), since 1982. I have been a vol fan for 68 years. Are your plans to fly or drive? If driving it will be a hard 2-day drive. If you plan on flying, I suggest you fly to Nashville, then rent a car to drive to Knoxville. The drive from Nashville to Knoxville is very pleasant and will only take a little over a couple hours through the Smoky Mtns. If you have any Alabama gear... burn it before you enter Neyland Stadium. lol.

Just clarification, the drive from Nashville to Knoxville does not go through the Smoky’s. But it is a nice little drive.

Yep, I started to tell him the same thing. If you go to Memphis, you have officially been to Tennessee, but it is an outlier from the rest of the State. Also, when he said for us to claim the UT. Blount College/UT Founded in 1794. University of Texas started as 1 room school in 1883 so not even close.

The 10k alumni in Shelby County are glad it is.

Vols by fiddly, eat at adopo, stock and barrel, sticky rice cafe, and don't do Calhouns. It's junior high BBQ, especially if you've had real BBQ. Even though Cisco eating vol fans will tell you otherwise.
Manning restaurant is awful

I’ll be making the trip from San Antonio! Never been to Tennessee. I almost spent a day in Memphis back in the summer of 21 but there was a major bridge down at the time and it wasnt realistic. Always wanted to visit Neyland for a game so I gotta take advantage during this crazy run UTSA has been pulling off. Might end after this year. Texas can easily choke this last year in the Big 12. A&M might bite the bullet and buyout Jimbo when they inevitably keep falling. Both schools will have Jeff Traylor high on the list and it's been clear to our fan base that he's holding out for one of them. Hence the drive up to Knoxville, may never see this team compete like this again.

I don't think this game will be a layup for Tennessee. We played Texas a week after they had that big matchup against Bama. Jeff Traylor definitely opened up the playbook and threw a bunch of curve balls in the first half, including an onside kick -> first play flea flicker that netted a touchdown. Texas was kinda shell shocked until they realized they were in fact better and ran away with it after halftime. While I don’t think that Tennessee will come out flat like Texas did, I do expect UTSA to also throw the kitchen sink from the get go.

We were a 3OT loss against Houston away from probably having the NY6 bid instead of Tulane. QB is back for his 587056987634 year. WR’s are likely to play in the NFL. TE looks like a man among boys. They all have another year of experience now. Not sure how the play calling will look since Oregon poached the OC during bowl season, but the offense should still be able to score very well. Should be a fun game!

Anyway, Tennessee by 31 tbh. And ya'll better claim the UT title officially and spam horns down when they join the SEC.

I’ll be spending all of Friday (22nd) and Saturday (23rd) in Knoxville. Anyone here have any recommendations as far as food/bars/breweries?

welcome to the board MEEP. Hope to see you here often during the lead in to this game.

as others have already stated, you will likely get invited to a tailgate or two if you stay abreast of activities on this board. We almost always have fans from the opposition at our own tailgates also.

So having said that, there are a couple of terms which are used frequently on this board which you will get familiar with as follows....

WGWTFA...this term is best explained in the following short video clip

https://twitter.com/hashtag/WGWTFA?src=hash

Reactions: volmanjr
I’ll be making the trip from San Antonio! Never been to Tennessee. I almost spent a day in Memphis back in the summer of 21 but there was a major bridge down at the time and it wasnt realistic. Always wanted to visit Neyland for a game so I gotta take advantage during this crazy run UTSA has been pulling off. Might end after this year. Texas can easily choke this last year in the Big 12. A&M might bite the bullet and buyout Jimbo when they inevitably keep falling. Both schools will have Jeff Traylor high on the list and it's been clear to our fan base that he's holding out for one of them. Hence the drive up to Knoxville, may never see this team compete like this again.

I don't think this game will be a layup for Tennessee. We played Texas a week after they had that big matchup against Bama. Jeff Traylor definitely opened up the playbook and threw a bunch of curve balls in the first half, including an onside kick -> first play flea flicker that netted a touchdown. Texas was kinda shell shocked until they realized they were in fact better and ran away with it after halftime. While I don’t think that Tennessee will come out flat like Texas did, I do expect UTSA to also throw the kitchen sink from the get go.

We were a 3OT loss against Houston away from probably having the NY6 bid instead of Tulane. QB is back for his 587056987634 year. WR’s are likely to play in the NFL. TE looks like a man among boys. They all have another year of experience now. Not sure how the play calling will look since Oregon poached the OC during bowl season, but the offense should still be able to score very well. Should be a fun game!

Anyway, Tennessee by 31 tbh. And ya'll better claim the UT title officially and spam horns down when they join the SEC.

I’ll be spending all of Friday (22nd) and Saturday (23rd) in Knoxville. Anyone here have any recommendations as far as food/bars/breweries?

We got this place called 'The Alamo'. Holds 100,000 people.

Vols by fiddly, eat at adopo, stock and barrel, sticky rice cafe, and don't do Calhouns. It's junior high BBQ, especially if you've had real BBQ. Even though Cisco eating vol fans will tell you otherwise.
Dead End for the win

I’m a native East Tennessean, but only a Knoxvillian for like the past 10 years or so. The amount of neat bar/restaurant places that come and go on the regular here are off the charts. I still have to say that Barley’s Taproom here is my personal favorite, but that might be because they put an emphasis on Predators games and live music simultaneously. You would have to go out of your way to go wrong here. We have a lot of great people and places in this area. You should feel welcome and appreciated wherever you end up.

That being said, this Tennessee team is on the way up, under superb guidance, and backed by the best of resources for the first time in over a decade. They have the full support of the administration and the community. They will have momentum at full force when you guys come to town. They may not beat you by 50, but 35 will be a disappointment on all fronts. Don’t get your hopes up, and please tip your server.

My wife is from Knoxville and I am from Memphis area. I was not too happy when Full Service went out of business. The only good bbq I’ve found up there besides Sweet P’s.
Geez thats crazy place was always packed in Maryville.

Personally didnt like their BBQ, but i'm not a BBQ fan. Most everyone I knew who ate it, liked it.

Reactions: WillisWG

They will definitely become the "Longhorn Steers" once they join the SEC. :)

Quick question for you. Any idea how well UTSA will travel for this game? I’ve got some suggestions on lodging if you need any

Just clarification, the drive from Nashville to Knoxville does not go through the Smoky’s. But it is a nice little drive.
I can if you go back roads and drive 250 miles out of the way...LOL

Since you’re a brewery guy/fam, I’ll give you my list.

Xül- best in the area IMO. Kind of a hype brewery selling mostly IPAs, sours, pilsners and occasionally some fantastic pastry stouts.

The rest in no particular order to try:

Bearden Beer Market- They brew ton of different beers here and some can be hit or miss. More hit than miss though. Check untappd scores on beers before you buy.

Abridged- two locations, regular and Oak Room, the latter focuses on sours. Good beer and great burgers.

Schulz Brau- German style beers and lots to choose from. Worth visiting just for the ambiance alone (looks like a castle and has a beautiful courtyard). Also has authentic German food.

Pretentious- very eclectic in style and their taproom has lots of personality even if it is small. It’s in the Old City which has tons of charm and lots of other places to visit…but that also comes with hard to find parking.

Printshop- a good stop right alongside the Tennessee River and friendly staff with above average beers.

Next Level- nice trendy taproom in a growing bohemian area of Knoxville. Can be very hit or miss.

There’s a few others, but those are my suggestions for a weekender.

Reactions: clarencepeabody
Our guys will be waiting.....
Daniel_In_The_Lions_Den_by_Briton_Riviere_G56.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: StarRaider
The post 2021 Vols and volnation fanbase are a force to be reckoned with for ANY team in the country. We’re going after the SEC title and Georgia. UTSA or USAA whatever y’all are, just another stepping stone in accomplishing that mission. Good luck and welcome

Neither my dog nor my cracked crystal ball has told me how this game or any of our 2023 games will unfold. However, I believe we will have a better defense this year, and it will show. I also believe that while the passing game will not vanish, it's our running game that will get main billing. This will throw off folks, especially during the first three games. See, they assume they have us figured out, but the RBs will be so effective, we will look like a completely different team offensively. Now, to wait to see what the dog and cracked crystal ball says later on.

48-23 TN

VN Store

Back