UTSA fan here

I’ll be making the trip from San Antonio! Never been to Tennessee. I almost spent a day in Memphis back in the summer of 21 but there was a major bridge down at the time and it wasnt realistic. Always wanted to visit Neyland for a game so I gotta take advantage during this crazy run UTSA has been pulling off. Might end after this year. Texas can easily choke this last year in the Big 12. A&M might bite the bullet and buyout Jimbo when they inevitably keep falling. Both schools will have Jeff Traylor high on the list and it's been clear to our fan base that he's holding out for one of them. Hence the drive up to Knoxville, may never see this team compete like this again.

I don't think this game will be a layup for Tennessee. We played Texas a week after they had that big matchup against Bama. Jeff Traylor definitely opened up the playbook and threw a bunch of curve balls in the first half, including an onside kick -> first play flea flicker that netted a touchdown. Texas was kinda shell shocked until they realized they were in fact better and ran away with it after halftime. While I don’t think that Tennessee will come out flat like Texas did, I do expect UTSA to also throw the kitchen sink from the get go.

We were a 3OT loss against Houston away from probably having the NY6 bid instead of Tulane. QB is back for his 587056987634 year. WR’s are likely to play in the NFL. TE looks like a man among boys. They all have another year of experience now. Not sure how the play calling will look since Oregon poached the OC during bowl season, but the offense should still be able to score very well. Should be a fun game!

Anyway, Tennessee by 31 tbh. And ya'll better claim the UT title officially and spam horns down when they join the SEC.

I’ll be spending all of Friday (22nd) and Saturday (23rd) in Knoxville. Anyone here have any recommendations as far as food/bars/breweries?
Vols by Fiddy!!!

Vols by fiddly, eat at adopo, stock and barrel, sticky rice cafe, and don't do Calhouns. It's junior high BBQ, especially if you've had real BBQ. Even though Cisco eating vol fans will tell you otherwise.

Agree about Calhouns. It's garbage BBQ. We def aren't beating them by fiddy. More like 17-24.

Vols by Fiddy!!!

Not happening. It's a trap game if there ever was one, vs a good non power 5 school that can play with most teams on any given Saturday. We will win, but def not by half a hundred. They will score 17+ on us and prob more. Def our toughnest OOC game next season.

I’ll be making the trip from San Antonio! Never been to Tennessee. I almost spent a day in Memphis back in the summer of 21 but there was a major bridge down at the time and it wasnt realistic. Always wanted to visit Neyland for a game so I gotta take advantage during this crazy run UTSA has been pulling off. Might end after this year. Texas can easily choke this last year in the Big 12. A&M might bite the bullet and buyout Jimbo when they inevitably keep falling. Both schools will have Jeff Traylor high on the list and it's been clear to our fan base that he's holding out for one of them. Hence the drive up to Knoxville, may never see this team compete like this again.

I don't think this game will be a layup for Tennessee. We played Texas a week after they had that big matchup against Bama. Jeff Traylor definitely opened up the playbook and threw a bunch of curve balls in the first half, including an onside kick -> first play flea flicker that netted a touchdown. Texas was kinda shell shocked until they realized they were in fact better and ran away with it after halftime. While I don’t think that Tennessee will come out flat like Texas did, I do expect UTSA to also throw the kitchen sink from the get go.

We were a 3OT loss against Houston away from probably having the NY6 bid instead of Tulane. QB is back for his 587056987634 year. WR’s are likely to play in the NFL. TE looks like a man among boys. They all have another year of experience now. Not sure how the play calling will look since Oregon poached the OC during bowl season, but the offense should still be able to score very well. Should be a fun game!

Anyway, Tennessee by 31 tbh. And ya'll better claim the UT title officially and spam horns down when they join the SEC.

I’ll be spending all of Friday (22nd) and Saturday (23rd) in Knoxville. Anyone here have any recommendations as far as food/bars/breweries?

Fellow San Antonian here(transplant), since 1982. I have been a vol fan for 68 years. Are your plans to fly or drive? If driving it will be a hard 2-day drive. If you plan on flying, I suggest you fly to Nashville, then rent a car to drive to Knoxville. The drive from Nashville to Knoxville is very pleasant and will only take a little over a couple hours through the Smoky Mtns. If you have any Alabama gear... burn it before you enter Neyland Stadium. lol.

Reactions: VFFL@THE BEACH
OMG, I have so many notes to take. Pretty active forum. Thank you guys!

It’ll be 2-3 adults, no kids. And we love breweries.

I am incredibly worried about the UTSA game. UTSA should be really good and our game with yall is sandwiched right between a road trip to Florida and a revenge game against South Carolina. I do think yall will be ranked in the top 25 so we wont overlook yall, should be a good game

We will likely be in other receiving votes on the first AP Poll. However, we open up the season on the road at Houston who has regressed a little this offseason. The line for that game is going to be very interesting. If we can pull off the win (and not choke to TXSU) , we should be ranked in the 20’s for week3.

Some of the UTSA fans living in fantasyland are already praying to get an undefeated UTSA going into Tulane for a college gameday lmaooo. Not happening though.

If your team is as good passing the ball as people say, you'll score some points on us. Then again, if your team can't defend..........well..................

The defense should be better than last year’s only because it was so bad we can only trend up. Think Vols will score into the high 40’s most likely.

Lost a 6 game parlay because yours and Troys offenses played your worst games of the year and could nt cover a measly 56 points between the two of you. I hope we beat you by 80.…… but I’m not bitter…….🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Okay, that one’s on you lmao. Troy offense sucks and we knew that going into the matchup. Though, UTSA had one of it’s two star WR’s Cephus get pulled from the game just days before. Found out after the game that he had a DWI. The backups dropped a couple easy balls, including one in the endzone during crunch time that would have tied the game. I am also not bitter.

6ec5ed_65a59a84a41e452f8ef415c09f2375ca~mv2.jpg

bar-2209813_960_720.jpg

It's still here :)

After that long post espousing the greatness of your players, this made me laugh tbh lol. Welcome.
As a native Tennessean & now having lived in TX for eons now, UTSA has a very good team, albeit not Tennessee caliber. I live right outside San Antonio & about 10 miles from the UTSA campus. Used to work there, got many friends still there. I ALWAYS root for the VOLS and would like UTSA football to do well, but I would be happy if they score 14 pts. The VOLS will smoke the Roadrunners by as many as they choose, probably 40+. VOLS just have too much SEC talent. UTSA just joined the American Athletic Conference and are rapidly moving up the NCAA conference ladder, but they are no match for the VOLS. They have a good experience QB.
Hope you guys show MEEP some good ole Tennessee hospitality. Love the state--wish I could be there. At my house when the VOLS play, everything stops; don't want any interruptions; don't be knocking on my front door, calling, or texting because I'm not responding. LOL.

Being a utsa fan 🤣🤣
Eat ‘em up cats!
Hate to tell you but UTSA's mascot is not a cat, a Road Runner. Where I live outside San Antonio in Helotes TX, we see wild ones all the time in our subdivision. They're beautiful birds, and like the cartoons, can be super fast when they want to.

Hate to tell you but UTSA's mascot is not a cat, a Road Runner. Where I live outside San Antonio in Helotes TX, we see wild ones all the time in our subdivision. They're beautiful birds, and like the cartoons, can be super fast when they want to.
I went to Texas state big man

Not happening. It's a trap game if there ever was one, vs a good non power 5 school that can play with most teams on any given Saturday. We will win, but def not by half a hundred. They will score 17+ on us and prob more. Def our toughnest OOC game next season.
With our defense and especially the secondary, every offense on the schedule worries me. Even bigger...Joe can't go back to being overthrow Joe again. Not saying he has to make us forget Hooker, but he at least needs to make enough plays for our offense to be moderately successful.

Yeah, the ESPN people were saying this might be a tough game. It's funny that you mentioned the flea flicker; Ball St. tried that on the first play of the season, UT intercepted, and Hyatt scored a TD then on the first offensive play of the season, and he went on to win the Bcoff award.

I been going for a few years now as I have 2 kids attending the real UT.

To me the question is are you staying downtown and what kind of food do you prefer.

Based on that the next thing is what is the game time and that will determine how you play the day.

UT has lots of tradition like watching the Band and player walk which is a don’t miss.

Anyway, once you know where you are staying and the game time you can make more definitive plans.
For the night before if you want a nice meal, I prefer Kefi (Kefi) in the old city. They serve tapa style so great to try many different things and don’t miss the cocktail flight.

There are several good brunch places in downtown Knox, and some even take reservations, but most don’t open until 9 and you will need to be there early because even with reservations the line to get to the hostess is crazy. If you do a 9 am brunch in downtown, you will probably miss some of the activities so probably better for a newbie to catch the traditions then have a late brunch.

Check these sites first and then come back once some of your plans fill in as you will get more help here than you can imagine:

Gameday help for Knox newbie

Football Gameday

Good luck with every game this year except that Big Orange September 23 game I hope you lose by fiddy.

Ha Ha. I graduated from there when it was Southwest Texas. 1985.. Seniority. LOL.
Texas State Bobcats. Got it!
My man ! I wish they never changed it ! ok so I had this picture in college of Michael Jordan holding a camp in the 80s in San Marcos. Any chance you went ? it was at the school. ill see if I can find it

FYI Memphis is not really part of Tennessee.

Yep, I started to tell him the same thing. If you go to Memphis, you have officially been to Tennessee, but it is an outlier from the rest of the State. Also, when he said for us to claim the UT. Blount College/UT Founded in 1794. University of Texas started as 1 room school in 1883 so not even close.

I’ll give you 3 pretty good options for each one that I’m familiar with.

Breakfast Options: Plaid Apron, Nick and J’s, Pete’s

Lunch/Brunch: Tupelo Honey, Fieldhouse Social (great place to watch the noon/3:30 games), Sunspot

Breweries: Next Level, Xul, Pour Taproom (they have everything: beer, wine, sours, liquor, mead…everything)

Dinner: Stock and Barrel, A Dopo, Not Watson’s

Drunk at 3AM (only 2 now with Krystal closed lol): Gus’s Good Times Deli, Cookout

VN Store

Back