UTSA fan here

Meep

I’ll be making the trip from San Antonio! Never been to Tennessee. I almost spent a day in Memphis back in the summer of 21 but there was a major bridge down at the time and it wasnt realistic. Always wanted to visit Neyland for a game so I gotta take advantage during this crazy run UTSA has been pulling off. Might end after this year. Texas can easily choke this last year in the Big 12. A&M might bite the bullet and buyout Jimbo when they inevitably keep falling. Both schools will have Jeff Traylor high on the list and it's been clear to our fan base that he's holding out for one of them. Hence the drive up to Knoxville, may never see this team compete like this again.

I don't think this game will be a layup for Tennessee. We played Texas a week after they had that big matchup against Bama. Jeff Traylor definitely opened up the playbook and threw a bunch of curve balls in the first half, including an onside kick -> first play flea flicker that netted a touchdown. Texas was kinda shell shocked until they realized they were in fact better and ran away with it after halftime. While I don’t think that Tennessee will come out flat like Texas did, I do expect UTSA to also throw the kitchen sink from the get go.

We were a 3OT loss against Houston away from probably having the NY6 bid instead of Tulane. QB is back for his 587056987634 year. WR’s are likely to play in the NFL. TE looks like a man among boys. They all have another year of experience now. Not sure how the play calling will look since Oregon poached the OC during bowl season, but the offense should still be able to score very well. Should be a fun game!

Anyway, Tennessee by 31 tbh. And ya'll better claim the UT title officially and spam horns down when they join the SEC.

I’ll be spending all of Friday (22nd) and Saturday (23rd) in Knoxville. Anyone here have any recommendations as far as food/bars/breweries?

Last edited:
I’ll be making the trip from San Antonio! Never been to Tennessee. I almost spent a day in Memphis back in the summer of 21 but there was a major bridge down at the time and it wasnt realistic. Always wanted to visit Neyland for a game so I gotta take advantage during this crazy run UTSA has been pulling off. Might end after this year. Texas can easily choke this last year in the Big 12. A&M might bite the bullet and buyout Jimbo when they inevitably keep falling. Both schools will have Jeff Traylor high on the list and it's been clear to our fan base that he's holding out for one of them. Hence the drive up to Knoxville, may never see this team compete like this again.

I don't think this game will be a layup for Tennessee. We played Texas a week after they had that big matchup against Bama. Jeff Traylor definitely opened up the playbook and threw a bunch of curve balls in the first half, including an onside kick -> first play flea flicker that netted a touchdown. Texas was kinda shell shocked until they realized they were in fact better and ran away with it after halftime. While I don’t think that Tennessee will come out flat like Texas did, I do expect UTSA to also throw the kitchen sink from the get go.

We were a 3OT loss against Houston away from probably having the NY6 bid instead of Tulane. QB is back for his 587056987634 year. WR’s are likely to play in the NFL. TE looks like a man among boys. They all have another year of experience now. Not sure how the play calling will look since Oregon poached the OC during bowl season, but the offense should still be able to score very well. Should be a fun game!

Anyway, Tennessee by 31 tbh. And ya'll better claim the UT title officially and spam horns when they join the SEC.

I’ll be spending all of Friday (22nd) and Saturday (23rd) in Knoxville. Anyone here have any recommendations as far as food/bars/breweries?
I am incredibly worried about the UTSA game. UTSA should be really good and our game with yall is sandwiched right between a road trip to Florida and a revenge game against South Carolina. I do think yall will be ranked in the top 25 so we wont overlook yall, should be a good game
As far as recommendations, I'd suggest just walking around at Market Square and Gay Street (right next to one another essentially). Lots of restaurants to look at, one will peek your interest. Will be a nice atmosphere too on a Friday night before a game, probably live music in a lot of places. The Strip (Cumberland Avenue) will probably be recommended alot but there will be a lot of construction and it gets pretty boozy, so thats something to be aware of if thats not your thing or you'll have kids with you

From a fellow Texan-Advance welcome to Tennessee amigo.

Honestly, fall is a great time to make your first visit-both for football reasons and the fact that it doesn't get much prettier than a sunset in the mountains when the leaves have started to turn.

Where to hang out, etc is kinda going to be determined by where you stay. Knoxville is not "that" big, but on game weekends things obviously get busy and traffic kinda sucks lol. Both the downtown area and west Knox have plentiful dining and brewery choices for every taste and age range. Once you finish up your plans, let people know what area of town you will be in and I'm sure many will chime in.

Make sure you also check out the tailgating area of this board as the date gets closer. You will most likely be invited to stop by multiple soirees ha ha.
Your belly will be full and game time will be there before you can make it to many.

Have a good time (well other than the L of course) and take in the spectacle of the Vol Navy, Neyland and the pregame activities.

You may find yourself coming back and exploring sometime when there isn't a game.

Vols by fiddly, eat at adopo, stock and barrel, sticky rice cafe, and don't do Calhouns. It's junior high BBQ, especially if you've had real BBQ. Even though Cisco eating vol fans will tell you otherwise.
I agree with your comments about Calhouns bbq. The location on the river is good for atmosphere, views, and drinks though.

You should reserve your room soon if you want a good choice of locations. Parking is difficult if driving in on game day, so staying close by is nice (as long as you don’t plan to drive shortly before or soon after the game). The people in TN are nice and typically welcoming as long as you are not there supporting another SEC team.

Vols by fiddly, eat at adopo, stock and barrel, sticky rice cafe, and don't do Calhouns. It's junior high BBQ, especially if you've had real BBQ. Even though Cisco eating vol fans will tell you otherwise.
I wouldn’t go to Calhoun’s for the barbecue but as far as a “general American” restaurant it’s pretty hard to go wrong. The ale steak is fantastic, and Calhoun’s/Smoky Mtn Brewery have my favorite wings on Earth.

As for OP’s question, Dead End barbecue is good, Barley’s and Jig and Reel in the Old City are both a lot of fun. Wildlove Bakery in Old North Knox is phenomenally good for breakfast or if you’re just craving baked goods. Nama, Holly’s, Litton’s, Good Golly Tamale if it’s still there, Tomato Head has great pizza and sandwiches.

A word of warning, Meep - we don't bbq beef in Tennessee. Pork only. And don't bother to eat the "mexican" food. Get your room ASAP if you haven't already. The hotels get filled up for game days pretty quickly. Knoxville's not quite as big as SA. I assume you've been to Texas games in Austin where the fans sit on their hands? The fans in Neyland aren't like that. Bring some earplugs.

If your team is as good passing the ball as people say, you'll score some points on us. Then again, if your team can't defend..........well..................

Reactions: GameTime

Anyway, Tennessee by 31 tbh. And ya'll better claim the UT title officially and spam horns down when they join the SEC.

Welcome

Reactions: Vols91
Do they still have that great Irish bar in SA, TX down on the river walk where they have someone play and sing on the piano? I cant remember the name of it. I LOVED that place. I loved visiting SA when I was stationed in SE Texas. SA is a great town. Hope you enjoy Knoxville and the game but the game a little less.

My wife is from Knoxville and I am from Memphis area. I was not too happy when Full Service went out of business. The only good bbq I’ve found up there besides Sweet P’s.

After that long post espousing the greatness of your players, this made me laugh tbh lol. Welcome.

Reactions: VFFL@THE BEACH
Neither my dog nor my cracked crystal ball has told me how this game or any of our 2023 games will unfold. However, I believe we will have a better defense this year, and it will show. I also believe that while the passing game will not vanish, it's our running game that will get main billing. This will throw off folks, especially during the first three games. See, they assume they have us figured out, but the RBs will be so effective, we will look like a completely different team offensively. Now, to wait to see what the dog and cracked crystal ball says later on.

Reactions: norrislakevol
Well I have been blessed to live in San Antonio, late 80s early 90’s. Texas BBQ is totally different so don’t expect to find it. Don’t get me wrong we just use a different kind of wood here. If you want chorizo and egg taco’s well that’s a no go. Instead, go for biscuits and gravy, grits and all the fixings. Try Maple leaf biscuit company for breakfast, but if you find yourself in a hurry before the game just go to Biscuitville. Make sure you take in the Vol Walk. You won’t regret it! If you have time, might want to check out the Crockett Tavern museum and pay your respects since Mr. Crockett is buried in Bexar County after giving his life for Texas independence. Take a walk along the Tennessee river, nothing like the River Walk in SA but you won’t find a goal post there. Absorb all the beauty of the Smokey Mountains, The Hill country outside of Austin is close only when the Bluebonnets are in bloom (otherwise Austin sucks except for the double decker interstate). True Texans are friendly and fierce. We are too, Tennesseans always lend a helping hand it is why we are called Volunteers! You’ll discover that our stadium is way louder than Planes flying low over near Thousand Oaks and Wetmore coming in for a landing! You will have a great time, ya just won’t win the game.
Sorry☹️

Do they still have that great Irish bar in SA, TX down on the river walk where they have someone play and sing on the piano? I cant remember the name of it. I LOVED that place. I loved visiting SA when I was stationed in SE Texas. SA is a great town. Hope you enjoy Knoxville and the game but the game a little less.
Durty Nelly's sound right? I drank a few Guiness there a few years ago as I recall.

They used to have Pat O’Briens. The same one as NO

Dirty Nellies. Think that was my first drunk in public experience…other than at parties with friends. Think I was 16.

San Antonio is one of my favorite cities.

Lost a 6 game parlay because yours and Troys offenses played your worst games of the year and could nt cover a measly 56 points between the two of you. I hope we beat you by 80.…… but I’m not bitter…….🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

First off. Welcome. Happy for you and your program.

Second, versus the Vols it is wiser to have maximum expectations but not minimum expectations. What I mean by that is UT could lay an egg. It happens and you may have enough horsepower to shock the world. OTOH, don't feel bad or depressed if UT beats you by 50. Like it or hate it, Heupel doesn't take his foot off the pedal

First off. Welcome. Happy for you and your program.

Second, versus the Vols it is wiser to have maximum expectations but not minimum expectations. What I mean by that is UT could lay an egg. It happens and you may have enough horsepower to shock the world. OTOH, don't feel bad or depressed if UT beats you by 50. Like it or hate it, Heupel doesn't take his foot off the pedal

I really want Heuple to steve Spurrier florida.

VN Store

Back