UT would have gone 6-6 if they'd played a normal schedule last year....

and might still have ol' Tater head for the coach. With wins against the same teams in conference - Missouri, SCe, and Vandy, and 3 OOC wins - 6-6. Would you rather have that or the current situation?
The record last season is inconseqential to Pruitt's firing. If we'd gone 7-3 instead of 3-7, that informant would probably still have gotten word of cheating to Donde Plowman, and she would've still initiated an investigation. As soon as it became evident the cheating was considerable, she would've still called in the outside law firm to assist. And they would've still found the same violations. She and Randy Boyd would have been compelled to fire Pruitt and the others involved.

Almost none of that changes, whatever the record is. The only possible difference would be if the informant hadn't informed. Not knowing who that person is or what motivated them, we can't be sure how they'd have acted under different circumstances (say, if we'd been 4-2 with wins over Kentucky and Arkansas, rather than the 2-4 we were at the time...or even 5-2 with wins over a couple of cupcakes added in).

[you can choose to believe Plowman is not a woman of character, and wouldn't have taken these steps if the on-field situation had been better. That says more about you than her, I think. I believe she does have strong values and would've done exactly as she did. Even if we'd had a winning season]

Last edited:
Reactions: Behr
and might still have ol' Tater head for the coach. With wins against the same teams in conference - Missouri, SCe, and Vandy, and 3 OOC wins - 6-6. Would you rather have that or the current situation?
They wouldn’t have beaten Missou if they had played them at the normal time. This team peaked in early Sept. I’ll grant you the other two, but they could have easily had a Georgia State moment on the schedule.

Well, since only a couple of people actually answered your question...I would say, I would overwhelmingly take our current situation over going 6-6 last year. Like someone else said, cut it open, remove the problem and fix it.

Well, since only a couple of people actually answered your question...I would say, I would overwhelmingly take our current situation over going 6-6 last year. Like someone else said, cut it open, remove the problem and fix it.
It's better to be one step from Hell walking away from it than to be a thousand miles from Hell walking toward it;)

I would rather that the current situation. Just like when Jones was here and Trevor Lawrence wanted to come here. If he had then Butch might still be here. I think we are about to blow up. If the current HC can put 40 on the board then the offensive players will come and will we have excitement in TN again.

Difficult times are possibly ahead.......more difficult than the past 20 years...........All I want is some stability with the HC, Admin and boosters. CJH is going to need more than 3/4 years to turn this crap-show around. Let's give him that time and see what happens.

We all want UT back to where they are competing for championships, but realistically 7-8-9 wins on a regular basis is good for the foreseeable future.

I'm happier with CJH (without coaching a game yet) than I would be with JP as HC.

Missouri was player far far better than us later in the year. 5-7 was the ceiling and I wouldn't even lock that in for this team with how badly it melted down.

Last year, though, would have originally still seen the schedule shift toward Tennessee playing Missouri earlier in the season.

UT was originally scheduled to play them on October 3 (UT’s 5th game of the season) before the schedule changed due to the pandemic.

Tennessee Football Announces 2020 Schedule - University of Tennessee Athletics

They wouldn’t have beaten Missou if they had played them at the normal time. This team peaked in early Sept. I’ll grant you the other two, but they could have easily had a Georgia State moment on the schedule.

Last year, though, would have originally still seen the schedule shift toward Tennessee playing Missouri earlier in the season.

UT was originally scheduled to play them on October 3 (UT’s 5th game of the season) before the schedule changed due to the pandemic.

I hate to say it, and I am sure there are going to be tons of arguments against my opinion...but I think the torching of the entire program from the AD on down is what had to happen. I honestly don’t think there was any other way to break the cycle of mediocrity and the good-ol-boy network that was essentially running everything...and running it badly.

I hate that the team I have followed for 40 years had to be disassembled right down to the ground like it was, but I can’t see any other way they could have truly made it possible to start from scratch and rid the program of its worst enemies.

Hopefully the self-imposed necessity of having stability in the program is going to work out. I happen to think it will.

I could be wrong.
I wonder if this will help us when it comes to sanctions. Basically, the admin that should have been policing, and the guilty coaches, are gone.

If I’m not mistaken, Oklahoma was on the “normal”schedule and I highly doubt we would of beaten them last year.

Normal SEC schedule is 8 conference games with 4 OOC games. TN’s 4 OOC games would have been: OU, Charlotte, Furman, and Troy.

I think the OP was trying to say - though he didn’t word it clearly - that TN would have gone 3-1 among those games.

There's no way to know for sure. I think Missouri would be a loss if played later in the year. The only game I think we win if we replayed the 3 opponents we did manage to beat would be Vandy.

We beat SC only because of HT's interception return for a TD.

After the GA state debacle, I don't think it would be safe to assume any wins with our prior coaching staff.

Worth noting, but last year’s original schedule would have originally still seen the schedule shift toward Tennessee playing Missouri earlier in the season.

Reactions: buckfama
Would have been blasted by Oklahoma. So wouldnt have been 3-0 OOC

The schedule would have had 4 OOC games (per the normal schedule for each SEC team).

TN would have played Oklahoma, Charlotte, Furman, and Troy. I think the OP was trying to say that UT would have gone 3-1 among those games.

Like Jerry Jones said..."Look, my daddy grew up on a farm in southwest Missouri. Every so often in the spring the wind would come from a different part of the country, and the moon would set in a different way, and the owls would start f---ing the chickens." Tennessee going 6-6 last year? That makes no sense. The owls are f---ing the chickens, and thats a good thing for us.

Reactions: VolMarine1371
Don’t count on the OOC wins either. Wasn’t to long ago we lost to Georgia State and BYU in the same season.

Reactions: dlobh
OP is assuming the Vandy would have fielded the same team as they did. They wouldnt have. They had more "opt outs" than anyone. Pruitt's cast of disaster would have probably lost to them.

Add to that the NCAA trouble was still brewing and was gonna be exposed Covid or no Covid. Just face the facts...Pruitt was a terrible hire, maybe the worst in SEC history. Tennessee needed a complete housecleaning.

Reactions: VolMarine1371

VN Store

Back