UT vs. VT @ Bristol

For or against the Bristol game idea

• Total voters
I'm For it.

The view will be bad for the people in the existing front rows. The higher you go, the better chance to see the field you will have, until you get real high. The 14,000 or so seats they add to the track and infield, will have a pretty good view.

I'm for it because of the exposure it will give our program.

I'm for it because of the money that our "struggling" Athletic Department will get.

I'm cautious because if we were to lose, we would NEVER hear the end of it from the red-headed bastard babies from Blacksburg.

I'd like to see them play it in 08.

2008 Schedule
@ UCLA
NC State
Florida
San Jose State
@ South Carolina
Mississippi State
@ Georgia
Alabama
Wyoming
@ Auburn
@ Vanderbilt
Kentucky

They should buy out Wyoming, and play it then. Bruton has said it would need to be played in November because of the work to be done after the August race, but I think that the spot that Wyoming is in on that schedule above would be a perfect time to play it.

ESPN radio today said that Tennessee could buy out the Cal game at Cal in 06, and then play the game in Bristol on their November off-week, but that would make them play the whole season without an off-week.

I am against it. I think it's too much of a gimmick. We don't need it and it would be one of those nothing to win everything to lose games.

This is bad on so many levels I don't know where to begin.

If you're looking to gain in recruiting from this just consider how it would help recruiting if we lost in the biggest venue in CF history.

That's not exactly the plum most people think of when looking at the recruiting angle of this. It could happen though folks.

Playing there would be disconcerting to both teams. Anything could happen.

This, from another member, on another board........

I don't like to do anything "half-ass" since I am a perfectionist in some areas of my life, especially when it comes to things like math and science. And so I decided to find some good aerial photos of the speedway and do some measuring of distances to calculate things much more precisely. And it is MUCH uglier than I realized previously, for anyone who would be sitting in either endzone!!!

To begin with, the straight sections of the track are 650 feet long (217 yards rounded off). Since a football field is 120 yards long, the straight sections of the track are 97 yards longer than the length of the football field. If the field is centered in the middle of the stadium, this means that the back line of each endzone would be 48.5 yards closer to the middle of the stadium than the points where the straight sections of the track end.

I also took measurements in all four "corners" of the track, to calculate an average for the distance that the track curves away from the center of the stadium. These measurements were necessary to calculate the distance that the first row of the endzone seats (in the center of the endzone) would be away from the field.

And here are the UGLY results.

I was surprisingly accurate with my previous estimate when I said the width of the area available for the football field would be at least 200 yards (based on the curves being 910 feet long (303 yards). It turned out to be 207 yards wide according to my measurements. So if you subtract the width of the field (54 yards, I think), that gives you 153 yards for the two sidelines.

So that means that if you were sitting on the first row of the stands on the 50 yard line, you would be 76.5 yards from the NEAREST sideline. But it would actually be further than that, because the stands don't come all the way down to the edge of the track, especially on one side of the track.

And as I pointed out previously, you would want to sit higher up than usual, because of the long distance you would be away from the field, to make sure you have some semblance of depth perception and to see over all the players and coaches on the sideline. So in actuality, you would probably be about 100 yards from the NEAREST sideline.

And the endzone seats would be MUCH worse! Based on my measurements and calculations, the first row of the endzone seats (in the center) would be about 157 yards from the NEAREST part of the field! And when you add the length of the field, those seats would be 277 yards from the farthest end of the field (the back line of the far endzone)!!! And people sitting higher up would be further away than that.

I cannot conceive of trying to follow the football from more than 250 yards away! I'm sorry UTAD and Bruton Smith, but this venue would be a DEBACLE/FIASCO for watching a football game. And there is no argument to the contrary that can be made effectively, IMO, even though I am sure UTAD will do their best to try, when they are trying to sell tickets.

:wacko: an engineer maybe?

Interesting.

Originally posted by vol_freak@Aug 27, 2005 11:07 PM
I am against it. I think it's too much of a gimmick. We don't need it and it would be one of those nothing to win everything to lose games.
[snapback]132001[/snapback]​

UT doesnt need $20 million?

As far as nothing to win, everything to lose, you dont live in NE Tennessee. Just to the north of me, about 20 miles is the Tennessee/VA state line. North of that line of some of the most arrogant, pathetically ignorant college football fans, in the form of VT fans (not the Big Orange fans). For us up here, I would love nothing better than to see VT get humiliated in front of the greatest spectacle in college football history. Its bad enough that VT accepted the original idea back in 2000 (a $3.5 million deal).

I know recruiting has a lot to do with it. We dont recruit that many great players out of VA and the NE TN area isnt exactly a hot bed of recruiting. But, the money, the exposure, finally being able to shut up, as Beltwayvol put it, those "red-headed bastard babies from Blacksburg", is worth it.

Are you saying we should be afraid to play this game? (just playing devils advocate)

If I remember correctly we already hammered the mighty Hokie Pokies before, but I would go to the game and watch us hammer them again. Would be kinda fun. I am living in Yorktown VA right now which can be considered Hokie country, well actually it depends on who has the better record as the season progresses, could be considered UVA country as well.

Thank God I am moving to Rocky Top on Wednesday of this week. The timing is impeccable! LOL...

GO VOLS!

Originally posted by tnvoln77@Aug 28, 2005 2:13 PM
If I remember correctly we already hammered the mighty Hokie Pokies before, but I would go to the game and watch us hammer them again.  Would be kinda fun.  I am living in Yorktown VA right now which can be considered Hokie country, well actually it depends on who has the better record as the season progresses, could be considered UVA country as well. 

Thank God I am moving to Rocky Top on Wednesday of this week.  The timing is impeccable! LOL...

GO VOLS!
[snapback]132166[/snapback]​

Been to Yorktown. A great town with a great many historical sites.

Not to mention, the Vicks are from nearby Va. Beach

Maybe a stupid question, but has there ever been a game there?

Lets do a race and a game at the same time, Maybe Sterling will win. just a joke, don't jump all over me now, thanks.

Originally posted by volbrian@Aug 28, 2005 10:49 AM
UT doesnt need $20 million? 

As far as nothing to win, everything to lose, you dont live in NE Tennessee.  Just to the north of me, about 20 miles is the Tennessee/VA state line.  North of that line of some of the most arrogant, pathetically ignorant college football  fans, in the form of VT fans (not the Big Orange fans).  For us up here, I would love nothing better than to see VT get humiliated in front of the greatest spectacle in college football history.  Its bad enough that VT accepted the original idea back in 2000 (a $3.5 million deal). 

I know recruiting has a lot to do with it.  We dont recruit that many great players out of VA and the NE TN area isnt exactly a hot bed of recruiting.  But, the money, the exposure, finally being able to shut up, as Beltwayvol put it, those "red-headed bastard babies from Blacksburg", is worth it.

Are you saying we should be afraid to play this game?  (just playing devils advocate)
[snapback]132114[/snapback]​

I'm sure we could always use the $20 million, but then again we turned down ESPN money to keep from playing on Sunday. I just think the game would benefit VT more, they would have more to gain. With where our program is we don't need to play a game in Bristol, but if we do, then we should get $30 million and they should get $10.

If the AD makes the deal? Lets just curse the AD and support our VOLS!

VT needs to be sent back to pre Vick "Ron" years. Im not impressed never met a fan of the Chokies before that little era.

The ones i know now are about as vulgar as they are NCAA incompetent . Atleast Bama has a past to speak of'.

They swear they lost to the best team in the country Auburn by very little. Maybe im wrong but i didnt see the Auburn we lost to regular season, nor the Auburn we faced in the SECC.

If this is something that ends up happening? I'll try and help everyone here(that makes plans to go) out in anyway i can. From standing in line for tix, to parking and have'n a place to rest up, eat , potty, grill, shower, phone etc.. I see the locals trying to get even richer if this happens, Camp grounds, parking etc..If the VOLs play in Bristol I'll open my home to any or all of you anyway i can and it wont cost a cent!

Originally posted by vol_freak@Aug 28, 2005 10:11 PM
we should get $30 million and they should get $10.
[snapback]132327[/snapback]​

Ok. Ill agree with that 100%. VT has been wanting this game at whatever the payday (even the aforementioned $3.5 million one).

For those who don't feel like thinking that hard about the numbers in the above post, here's the scale diagram I made:

post-652-1125012931.jpg

For comparison, all of Neyland would roughly fit between the track edges on the straightaways, and would be WELL INSIDE the margins of the turns. In other words, the best seats at Bristol would compare to the absolute worst at Neyland, and with a crappier viewing angle.

Originally posted by kiddiedoc@Aug 29, 2005 10:55 AM
For those who don't feel like thinking that hard about the numbers in the above post, here's the scale diagram I made:

post-652-1125012931.jpg

For comparison, all of Neyland would roughly fit between the track edges on the straightaways, and would be WELL INSIDE the margins of the turns.  In other words, the best seats at Bristol would compare to the absolute worst at Neyland, and with a crappier viewing angle.
[snapback]132391[/snapback]​

Unless you make it into the 14,000 or so that they add inside the track.

IF this works - the links are to satellite views of Neyland and Bristol Motor Speedway from the same distance or scale.

Bristol

Neyland

Open them up in seprate browser windows to compare. If one were so motivated, you could photoshop one over the other.

I was just in Bristol for the race this past weekend. I think this is a fantastic idea and fully support this. I don't think anybody's mentality should be, "we have something to lose". It should be, "lets be a part of the biggest college football game ever played". I think that takes TN to the next level and gives us bragging rights over Michigan. I was sitting in a box at the race and the views were unbelieable. I don't think the stadium is as big as you think it is. It's only a 1/2 mile track. I was eyeballing and thought the field would fit inside the track nicely. Not a ton of room left over. How could anybody not want to be a part of this?

really good article in the tennessean about this.

but seems like everything i read is so sarcastic. i want to read some real serious info on this.

but this bruton smith guy is offering 20 mill apiece.

they have to do this.

vols in bristol

I don't really want to see it. However, if we have a home and away with VT and it is our away game,and we still have 7 home games that season, and get $20 million and/or more then VT maybe.

Originally posted by NashvilleVol@Aug 29, 2005 3:17 PM
I don't think the stadium is as big as you think it is.  It's only a 1/2 mile track.  I was eyeballing and thought the field would fit inside the track nicely.  Not a ton of room left over.
[snapback]132462[/snapback]​

See the above diagram, or if you are skeptical, official track dimensions can be found at:

Bristol Motor Speedway

The most easily-grasped size discrepancy can be found in the "total infield area" figure. A football field is almost exactly ONE acre. BMS's infield is approximately TEN.

Still sure about that "eyeballing" estimate?

The sports talk guys around here seem to think the scheduleing is no problem since all teams are addinga 12th game anyway.

:bad: no terrible idea im with vol freak this would hurt us big time if we lose but if we did win what would we get but a pat on the back and good job...so lets stay out of Bristol and lets jus stay in the south. B)

VN Store

Back