UT under potential NCAA investigation for NIL

Here's a movie clip that reminds me of where we are right now. "Bob" in this clip is the NCAA, and UT and the states of Virginia and Tennessee are "Clarence".

The comparison of the driving down the highway and speeding is about the most ludicrous thing I have heard.
It is just another simple way of covering up the incompetency of the NCAA. Quite Frankly, BS.

Hey so i understand the courtdate to be 2/13. The RTO response could be today i guess?? Thought I read "by the 6th" so today or possibly tomorrow. Sound correct?

What makes you think the "student" label can be forced on an employee? Can the university force the workers in the registration office to go to school outside of training for their employment area?

What makes you think a business has the right to demand an athlete/employee go to school?

I thought you could clearly deduce from my post that the student athlete moniker is probably DOA regardless of the direction from which you approach it.

If we’re talking about Lafayette or Lehigh or North Georgia College athletics, now that’s a different story.

Of course, the member institutions could require their athletes to be enrolled at the University to be on the team. At last check, UT still does that.

Here's an article with the timeline, if anyone is interested in giving it a look.
"Soon after, the NCAA amended its policy, clarified key parts of its NIL rules and vowed to retroactively investigate schools and collectives that it felt exploited the weakest points of its initial policy."

So, basically, lets investigate schools for breaking rules that were not in place because we didn't clarify anything. Just like Plowman and DW have been saying as well as the lawyers.

I'm not really sure you have read anything on this matter.

First the collective Spyre has in their contracts that NIL doesn't apply to what school they attend.
Second Universities can't go to another university and recruit current players until they enter the portal.
Third when Nico was recruited Tennessee absolutely had a law that athletes could receive NIL. It was passed in 2021
Nico's NIL was signed in California under their laws which allowed high school athletes to receive NIL. Tennessee passed the same law in 2022.

Does Spyre represent any athletes at other schools?

Reactions: StoneColdStunner
I thought you could clearly deduce from my post that the student athlete moniker is probably DOA regardless of the direction from which you approach it.

If we’re talking about Lafayette or Lehigh or North Georgia College athletics, now that’s a different story.

Of course, the member institutions could require their athletes to be enrolled at the University to be on the team. At last check, UT still does that.
WHEN athletes are considered employees, WHY can the school make them take courses legally for subjects unrelated to their job?

Can they make a worker in the landscaping department take a sociology course? I'm doubtful they can force them to enroll in school as a job condition.

What makes you think they can make an employee in the athletic department take geology? Can they make them enroll? As an employee can they tell them, "sorry, you've used up all your eligibility for this job......"

Schools which drop the academics and eligibility limits will be looked at as a better job from recruits. As Cordele Jones famously tweeted: I ain't come to play school. I come to play football.

WHEN athletes are considered employees, WHY can the school make them take courses legally for subjects unrelated to their job?

Can they make a worker in the landscaping department take a sociology course? I'm doubtful they can force them to enroll in school as a job condition.

What makes you think they can make an employee in the athletic department take geology? Can they make them enroll? As an employee can they tell them, "sorry, you've used up all your eligibility for this job......"

Schools which drop the academics and eligibility limits will be looked at as a better job from recruits. As Cordele Jones famously tweeted: I ain't come to play school. I come to play football.

I think it may eventually come down to the terms of the anticipated CBA.

The NFL makes rookies take finance courses. They require players to perform a certain amount of community service. They require drug testing and other medical exams. Certainly there’s arguments that each of those are related to their employment, and I’d anticipate similar arguments in support of requiring enrollment at the institution whenever it comes to that in CBA negotiations.

Of course, I’m not clairvoyant. I can’t see exactly how this is gonna go, and neither can you.

Which position are you advocating?

I think it may eventually come down to the terms of the anticipated CBA.

The NFL makes rookies take finance courses. They require players to perform a certain amount of community service. They require drug testing and other medical exams. Certainly there’s arguments that each of those are related to their employment, and I’d anticipate similar arguments in support of requiring enrollment at the institution whenever it comes to that in CBA negotiations.

Of course, I’m not clairvoyant. I can’t see exactly how this is gonna go, and neither can you.

Which position are you advocating?
I'm not advocating anything. I'm hoping for the slow and long demise of the NCAA because I'm unsure another organization can be formed which is "amateur athletics" and not in violation of Antitrust Law.

I'm not sure the SEC and B1G and other interested parties CAN legally form "NCAA 2.0" with the "student athlete" model at the core. From the attitude of the SCOTUS, that model is illegal.

The next step is employee status and that brings a pro league, a CBA, likely some kind of "draft" from HS to maintain parity, free agency, and everything we see about pro sports.

While the NCAA sucks and is most responsible for this mess, they maintain the "student athlete" model, at least for now. Without the NCAA, I'm afraid the next umbrella organization is a "pro athlete" model.

Many, many, many, many schools simply cannot afford the pro model. Without the NCAA, college athletics will be legally difficult to reconstitute.

Does Spyre represent any athletes at other schools?
I don't know that because there isn't a list of their clients available. Their attorney stated that contracts weren't bound to attending a school, so I'll take his word for it.

What further illustrates the NCAA’s idiocy is the fact that they instituted this “collectives are boosters” arbitrarily and with little to no blowback. So they initiate a fight with a member institution for a pre-instituted violation and double down by REFUSING to even talk to Donde. Were they so dedicated to this kamikaze attack that they were afraid she might bring reason to a meeting and possibly dissuade them from this course? Very faulty process…at the least.

I'm not advocating anything. I'm hoping for the slow and long demise of the NCAA because I'm unsure another organization can be formed which is "amateur athletics" and not in violation of Antitrust Law.

I'm not sure the SEC and B1G and other interested parties CAN legally form "NCAA 2.0" with the "student athlete" model at the core. From the attitude of the SCOTUS, that model is illegal.

The next step is employee status and that brings a pro league, a CBA, likely some kind of "draft" from HS to maintain parity, free agency, and everything we see about pro sports.

While the NCAA sucks and is most responsible for this mess, they maintain the "student athlete" model, at least for now. Without the NCAA, I'm afraid the next umbrella organization is a "pro athlete" model.

Many, many, many, many schools simply cannot afford the pro model. Without the NCAA, college athletics will be legally difficult to reconstitute.
Agreed!

It only magnifies the folly of those in Indianapolis more clearly. You’d think post-Alston they’d want to work with the membership effectively.

The ship was listing after Alston, and for some reason they now seem bent on running it aground.

I don't know that because there isn't a list of their clients available. Their attorney stated that contracts weren't bound to attending a school, so I'll take his word for it.
I believe those contracts don’t mention it, and I think they’re usually only good for one school year. At the end of the day, Moonshine Mountain isn’t going to re-sign a kid who transfers to a market where they don’t sell cookies.

Reactions: VolDave53
When will we know if TRO was granted or denied ? The request was by the 6th.
If I had to make a guess, day of. Judge asked for briefs, and responses to briefs submitted. He'll look over them, form an opinion. Day of, he'll listen to arguments and determine if anything he's heard changes his mind. JMO

Reactions: BigALWiLson
I believe those contracts don’t mention it, and I think they’re usually only good for one school year. At the end of the day, Moonshine Mountain isn’t going to re-sign a kid who transfers to a market where they don’t sell cookies.
I think you're talking about deals made with companies. I'm talking about the contract signed with Spyre for them to be legal representation on NIL deals.

a lot of things can be written as part of an employment contract. Behavior, upholding the laws are easy and across the board. any professional employer is going to require that their employees get continuing education or whatever is required to maintain the workers accreditations.

part of the terms would definitely playing the sport, so I don't see why they couldn't include the equivalent of the NCAA rules towards maintaining eligibility when it comes to going to classes and such.

I will be curious to see what the students being employees does for the anti-trust issues. The NFL had to get a waiver when the AFC and NFC joined together. would the P4/P2 top dogs need that if there was still a G5 that had closer to the original NCAA rules or DII/DIII schools? Would they then be competition for the NFL?

VN Store

Back