UT under potential NCAA investigation for NIL

I really don't want to rea thru 23 pages of posts. Can someone bullet point what we are accused of this time?
Basically we’re being investigated for violation of rules that didn’t exist at the time these supposed violations occurred. NCAA is looking at retroactively punishing for violations of rules that didn’t exist.

Part of it specifically involves the Nico NIL deal possible enticement, flight from Cali to Knoxville.

They will be subpoenaing the flight logs of Signature Aviation. Likely will find a donor lent his jet to Spyre for Nico and family to travel to Knoxville. Spyre owns no aircraft but likely leverages alumni’s jets.
NCAA can’t subpoena and Spyre can say we are doing a Harbaugh you can go pound sand we don’t report to NCAA.

I have a hard time believing anyone knows of a real impact in the 9hrs since this broke
You don’t think kids are already asking the staff questions about it or don’t believe other programs are using it against us. You’ve heard that saying a lie can travel around the world before the truth can get its pants on.

Idk if there’s any long term lasting consequences but it definitely isn’t helping.

What was the FSU punishment?
The NCAA placed sanctions on FSU, assistant coach Alex Atkins and an unnamed booster for impermissible recruiting activity and facilitating impermissible contact with a NIL-related booster. In spring 2022, "Atkins is alleged to have driven a prospect and his parents to a meeting with a leading member of the school’s NIL collective, Rising Spear," according to Yahoo Sports reporter Ross Dellinger. Reports said the effort was to recruit a Georgia transfer for $15,000 per month.

Chief among Florida State's punishments is a two-year probation period, as well as a reduction in scholarships and a three-game suspension for Atkins. Here is a list of punishments against FSU:

• two years of probation;
  • scholarship reductions of five over the next two academic years;
  • a reduction by seven in official visits for 2023-24;
  • a prohibition on recruiting communication for six weeks over the next two academic years;
  • a prohibition on communication with athletes in the transfer portal from April 15-21;
  • a reduction by 18 evaluation days this spring;
  • and a financial penalty of 1% of the athletic department’s budget.

They will be subpoenaing the flight logs of Signature Aviation. Likely will find a donor lent his jet to Spyre for Nico and family to travel to Knoxville. Spyre owns no aircraft but likely leverages alumni’s jets.
How do they subpoena? How is the plane use an issue anyways since it's a Spyre donation at that point?

Reactions: volz2wallz
The NCAA placed sanctions on FSU, assistant coach Alex Atkins and an unnamed booster for impermissible recruiting activity and facilitating impermissible contact with a NIL-related booster. In spring 2022, "Atkins is alleged to have driven a prospect and his parents to a meeting with a leading member of the school’s NIL collective, Rising Spear," according to Yahoo Sports reporter Ross Dellinger. Reports said the effort was to recruit a Georgia transfer for $15,000 per month.

Chief among Florida State's punishments is a two-year probation period, as well as a reduction in scholarships and a three-game suspension for Atkins. Here is a list of punishments against FSU:

• a prohibition on recruiting communication for six weeks over the next two academic years;
  • a prohibition on communication with athletes in the transfer portal from April 15-21;
They also punished Miami because Ruiz had dinner with kids in the portal and tweeted about it.

You don’t think kids are already asking the staff questions about it or don’t believe other programs are using it against us. You’ve heard that saying a lie can travel around the world before the truth can get its pants on.

Idk if there’s any long term lasting consequences but it definitely isn’t helping.
You said it "already is" like you knew it already hurting us to be true. Asking the question isn't a bad thing. It's bad when they don't care enough to ask

We'll be fine.

You said it "already is" like you knew it already hurting us to be true. Asking the question isn't a bad thing. It's bad when they don't care enough to ask
All I’m saying is it hurt us before when we were under investigation bc of the negative recruiting. That was directly from Heupel as well. A lengthy investigation whether it’s BS or not won’t help our recruiting. This going away fast would be best for all parties.

Thanks for info. Those are pretty heavy sanctions.I hope FSU appeals and gets them reduced so the precedent is not set. We can’t stand many more scholarship reductions.

Reactions: Volbrando
A head coach can pay his starting qb for years, take him to multiple schools, and provide all kinds of extra benefits, and said qb turns around and buys head coach a house they clearly don't need , but a collective can't get a kid an effin ride in a plane.. messed up world we live in .

Reactions: MemphisVol77
The univ booster rules haven't been changed
I've zero idea what the rules are or were but Miami was the first "post NIL" punishment by the NCAA.

IF the rules are that boosters can't contact recruits directly and we sent a booster in their private plane to pick up Nico, the NCAA might have something. Lots of IFs and little facts, at least for me.

Again, my concern is how is the NCAA finding out about this kind of thing.

Another poster seemed to point to the booster having a big mouth and telling too many people about the flight. That's possible, I suppose, and that's all on the booster but there's also been comments here suggesting UT asked the NCAA if it was okay to do that before Nico got picked up by a booster.

As usual, lots of unknowns but I'm pretty sure the NCAA has been disallowing boosters having direct contact with unsigned recruits.

I think, and I'm definitely not sure, Spyre can have some contact with recruits but lone boosters still can't.

Reactions: 508mikey
I wonder if there is a lawyer who can weigh in on whether the NCAA is risking a tortious interference suit by trying to control what is in compensation packages for NIL deals? If private flights are part of it, or if the flight is provided by the collective to try to gain new business, then it is no business of the NCAA's. They can't regulate what a private entity does. Any action they take would potentially be interfering in contractual arrangements between private parties.

Unlike Nico, that won't fly.

It seems like the NCAA is asking for a class action suit for damages if they punish or attempt to keep kids from selling their NIL as they see fit, or if they prevent collectives from competing for clients.

Reactions: Gandalf
I wonder if there is a lawyer who can weigh in on whether the NCAA is risking a tortious interference suit by trying to control what is in compensation packages for NIL deals? If private flights are part of it, or if the flight is provided by the collective to try to gain new business, then it is no business of the NCAA's. They can't regulate what a private entity does. Any action they take would potentially be interfering in contractual arrangements between private parties.

Unlike Nico, that won't fly.

It seems like the NCAA is asking for a class action suit for damages if they punish or attempt to keep kids from selling their NIL as they see fit, or if they prevent collectives from competing for clients.
I THINK the issue is the booster isn't affiliated with Spyre other than as another donor.

Basically, I'm a donor too. I can't contact recruits and do things for them like buy dinner AS A DONOR to Spyre.

BUSINESS REPRESENTATIVES of Spyre apparently can have contact with recruits. I'm not sure what the extent of that contact can be.

I think the issue is UT may have known a booster was bringing Nico to Knoxville, not Spyre as a business and the booster apparently isn't an official of Spyre. Apparently, boosters STILL cannot provide benefits to a recruit.

Reactions: TartanTurff

VN Store

Back