UT soccer coach Brian Pensky leaving for Florida State

What's the capacity of our baseball stadium, and what is the price of a ticket?

I don't know the answers--which is why I ask, but let's call baseball a minor revenue sport. I'm quite sure that is a fair description--and it might
not have even been much of that prior to the last couple of years. I don't think Vitello is overpaid--but I do wonder how a new baseball coach--with no
track record as a head coach--can get a salary of $600K--and then after one successful season (last year) more than double his salary (1.5 MILLION) while other successful and established UT coaches---Tennis (SEC tourney title last year, national semifinalist, ranked No. 1 for a time this year), Swimming (2 SEC women's titles in the last 3 years), Soccer (Elite Eight, Sweeting 16, SEC tourney title) are STILL making $225/$250 K. Certainly they are underpaid. And oh, yea: I forgot Karen Weekly. I don't what she's making--but I read that she and Ralph together were making $467K annually--and well-deserved as they've accomplished more than any of our non-rev/minor-revenue coaches. Now that Ralph has retired she's surely making, as the sole head coach, less than $300K, would be my guess---drastically less than Vitello. A ingrained lack of respect for women's sports? That would certainly seem to be one factor. As I say, I don't think Vitello is overpaid ---happy for him and the program--but he shouldn't be making 4/5/6 times other very good and successful coaches running big-time programs.
It’s Market driven And thank goodness that our AD gets it. Name another non-revenue generating sport that’s sold out season tickets, has a waiting list, and has a Coach who’s done more with less than CTV. SEC weekend tickets are going for up to $200 on the secondary market. Nothing outside of football and basketball comes close. Baseball was a sleeping giant at UT, and it’s been woken up.

Reactions: tbwhhs and KHVol
Season tickets are $325 per ticket. LNS capacity is about 4300, however both will soon increase.

What's the capacity of our baseball stadium, and what is the price of a ticket?

I don't know the answers--which is why I ask, but let's call baseball a minor revenue sport. I'm quite sure that is a fair description--and it might
not have even been much of that prior to the last couple of years. I don't think Vitello is overpaid--but I do wonder how a new baseball coach--with no
track record as a head coach--can get a salary of $600K--and then after one successful season (last year) more than double his salary (1.5 MILLION) while other successful and established UT coaches---Tennis (SEC tourney title last year, national semifinalist, ranked No. 1 for a time this year), Swimming (2 SEC women's titles in the last 3 years), Soccer (Elite Eight, Sweeting 16, SEC tourney title) are STILL making $225/$250 K. Certainly they are underpaid. And oh, yea: I forgot Karen Weekly. I don't what she's making--but I read that she and Ralph together were making $467K annually--and well-deserved as they've accomplished more than any of our non-rev/minor-revenue coaches. Now that Ralph has retired she's surely making, as the sole head coach, less than $300K, would be my guess---drastically less than Vitello. A ingrained lack of respect for women's sports? That would certainly seem to be one factor. As I say, I don't think Vitello is overpaid ---happy for him and the program--but he shouldn't be making 4/5/6 times other very good and successful coaches running big-time programs.
Like I said, I'm not going to get into specifics on all the revenue avenues the baseball program has now, that it did not have 4 years ago. BTW, the baseball team has been really good for 4 years now! That said, I will give you one little insight on revenues.....

They are selling millions of dollars of merchandise the last two years......millions. I'll let you all guess how many millions.

I just went through DFW on the way back from L.A. and saw two baseball jerseys. One said "Honcho" on the back.

Like I said, I'm not going to get into specifics on all the revenue avenues the baseball program has now, that it did not have 4 years ago. BTW, the baseball team has been really good for 4 years now! That said, I will give you one little insight on revenues.....

They are selling millions of dollars of merchandise the last two years......millions. I'll let you all guess how many millions.

I just went through DFW on the way back from L.A. and saw two baseball jerseys. One said "Honcho" on the back.

Why would they be selling a "honcho" jersey in Dallas/Fort Worth? Makes no sense....My assertion remains that UT shouldn't be paying one minor revenue coach 5 times more than other coaches who've accomplished more. For all our recent baseball success, we haven't won any hardware. I don't have a problem with what the baseball coach makes but rather think other excellent coaches are underpaid. That most Knoxville residents like baseball more than soccer or swimming doesn't resonate so much with me--and I played D1 baseball in college. They are national collegiate sports with large followings of sophisticated people, so being strong in those sports puts the university in good company. They generate just as much good PR as baseball.

Why would they be selling a "honcho" jersey in Dallas/Fort Worth? Makes no sense....My assertion remains that UT shouldn't be paying one minor revenue coach 5 times more than other coaches who've accomplished more. For all our recent baseball success, we haven't won any hardware. I don't have a problem with what the baseball coach makes but rather think other excellent coaches are underpaid. That most Knoxville residents like baseball more than soccer or swimming doesn't resonate so much with me--and I played D1 baseball in college. They are national collegiate sports with large followings of sophisticated people, so being strong in those sports puts the university in good company. They generate just as much good PR as baseball.

Oy vey.......I did not remotely indicate that these jerseys were bought at DFW......

You do realize that all UT sports items may be purchased off the internet right?

Anyway, I'm no longer interested in this thread. Wishing I had passed. Just wanted to let some know that baseball has gone from revenue drain to positive and then some. Soon to have a much larger stadium with higher pricing, thus justifying paying the coach higher than soccer coach. And I am a big fan of soccer lady vols btw. UTAD, and all AD's in the SEC will soon have a revenue spike due to tv revs. Estimated $100MM per year, per school in a few years.

So go ahead and pay a Great Soccer Coach $400k - $500k if you want. I don't care. Just don't compare soccer to baseball. No longer apples to apples.

Kind of a silly comment....

What was “silly” about my comment? If UT is going to break the bank for one coach of a non-revenue or minor revenue sport, should it not be the coach who is the most popular?

Consider this: UT baseball coach Vitello just got a raise from $600K annually to $1.5 million annually. Baseball pulls in more money than soccer but remains essentially a non-revenue sport. Pensky was just given an extension, and surely a raise--but I'm betting that his salary was still well under $300K annually and maybe closer to $250K--about 1/6th what Vitello is getting. Had Pensky's salary been raised to, say, $400K, my bet is that he'd still be our soccer coach. I'm happy for Vitello--but no successful non-revenue coach should be making that much more than other successful non-revenue-sports coaches at a university. Matt Kredich, our top-notch swimming coach, makes roughly what Pensky was making and is way underpaid relative to his success level.

Baseball generates revenue. It loses money, but it generates revenue. Soccer does not charge admission and generates zero revenue.

VN Store

Back