UT should be ashamed scheduling a team

Coach Brown said last night that there was “no better place to receive the news” of Wade’s death than Knoxville given the overwhelming support they’ve received from everyone there.

So, while the game may not have grown the Lady Vols’ game or RPI, it most certainly served a far grander purpose. A-PB was exactly where they needed to be, and we can all be proud and happy that our university and all it’s representatives (including fans) were up to the task of providing something a bit more important to BOTH programs last night than just a game.

@DeerPark12, please correct this if I am wrong. Hart told Pat (I believe when he first came here or very soon after) that the LVs had to play more home games...he wanted the money. You don't get good teams to schedule only away games for them. They expect a home and home. The schedule was done under the previous 🤢 AD's parameters. IMO this money grab worked against UT in more ways than one. Hopefully Phil wants a more challenging schedule. Kellie has certainly said, or at least insinuated, she would prefer a tougher one. Who knows what will happen?

Sorry. @VA_VOLFAN, Traveling and hit a bump.
😁

Last edited:
Like APB!

Its embarrassing and is doing nobody any good playing a team of this caliber.
All we are doing is risking injury.
You do understand that not every team in the country has the resources that UT has. These small D1 schools need that revenue to compete. Every school does it and it works. Those girls at APB can always say they played on "The Summit"

@DeerPark12, please correct this if I am wrong. Hart told Pat (I believe when he first came here or very soon after) that the LVs had to play more home games...he wanted the money. You don't get good teams to schedule only away games for them. They expect a home and home. The schedule was done under the previous 🤢 AD's parameters. IMO this money grab worked against UT in more ways than one. Hopefully Phil wants a more challenging schedule. Kellie has certainly said, or at least insinuated, she would prefer a tougher one. Who knows what will happen?

😁

No problem I was like this is getting good (eats popcorn)

Reactions: Smallvol#1
Mo St schedules tougher OOC teams than we do. 🤷‍♂️
Missouri State getting paid to play these games they still do not have enough support not to take a lot of away games that put money into their program. Lucky for them they have the team this season that can win those games.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Ashamed? It's just one ballgame.

If you're upset about this, it says a lot about you.
Lady Vols should NEVER schedule a team this lacking jn talent, size, etc. YES... Its like watching a baby seal being clubbed. I understand that this game was scheduled prior to KJH coming onboard, so... she isnt to blame.

Reactions: mcannon1
Lady Vols should NEVER schedule a team this lacking jn talent, size, etc. YES... Its like watching a baby seal being clubbed. I understand that this game was scheduled prior to KJH coming onboard, so... she isnt to blame.

Well it’s going to happen again along the way so get used to it 😂

Ask the real coach K and calapari about scheduling lesser teams and LOSING TO them on your home floor 😂

If you schedule anyone outside the top 6-7 conferences you would need a crystal ball to ensure decent competition.

Reactions: jeff1vol
I for one see no problem with it. Our inexperienced team got some playing time, APB got paid not only by money, but when a student looks into going to a smaller school and sees on the schedule that you get to play big teams like this. That may help with the recruiting. Who knows? Plus the class this team and community expressed towards APB and the loss of their player was nothing short of a very proud moment for this fan.

What was embarrassing was the way our coach stood or sit on the sideline and did not demand the girls to play better in the second half. This is never about the opposing teams as Pat always said . I did not see a contested jump shot the entire second half, which is inexcusable. This is out time to get better and we watched after shot with no effort to even put a hand up. I am ready for the criticism, but you see what I am talking about when we get into the conference schedule. I don't much different than last year in our coach holding the girls responsible. This is 6 games into the season and I being a Lady Vol fan for over thirty years was hoping she would become a little bit more demanding, and do a little more in game coaching.
Or maybe our coach and our team knew that they were the far superior team and maybe didn’t give the killer instinct we want to see, because of the circumstances surrounding the opposing team. I’m sure the Lady Vols could’ve buried this team but I’m also sure this APB is hurting and I’m not quite sure what the benefits of destroying them at this time would’ve been. I have no idea if my theory is legit or FOS, I’m just sayin’.
GBO!!

There are a lot of Clowns in this world that need to learn respect and humility. I want to see our teams win and win big, just like every other Vol fan, but sometimes, it’s about a little more than wins or losses and it’s certainly about more than winning pretty.
GBO!!

Like APB!

Its embarrassing and is doing nobody any good playing a team of this caliber.
All we are doing is risking injury.

All we are doing is fulfilling an obligation we made months ago.
All we are doing is warming up for the season,,,training wheels to bicycle...maybe wew start with a tricycle, deal with it

I have been on both sides of this type of game.
Both suck

You have to play the game...it is expected

As the David you pray the ref doesn't blow a stoppage
As the Goliath, you toy with your prey

It is done...In comes the Air Force

"Next!"

Reactions: jeff1vol
Just like Duke men scheduling Stephen F Austin. Why would you schedule a team that has no chance at competing....oh, wait. Nevermind.

often to help build their program

They will get recruits from this
Coach'll say

"We played Tennessee Lady Vols last year...whupped em in the third quarter 26-19.....Maybe they will come to our house...Wanna play for a team that plays Tennessee?"

...Guaranteed

Reactions: Smallvol#1
I absolutely LOVE that young women who never get to enjoy the special feeling of playing in a huge arena with a nice crowd watching getting to experience it. It’s the kind of memory that lasts a lifetime, and that’s a precious gift to receive.

What I don’t like, of course, is that giving that precious gift TOO often has resulted in Tennessee having a RealTime RPI of 157. Fans like me always took great pride in the smart, tough way Pat always scheduled — nearly always having her teams in the top 3 in SOS and RPI. After Holly took over it each year it dipped a little more and now this season the numbers are at an all-time low for this many games in.

While I firmly believe that this year’s schedule turned out to be perfect for this team under a new staff, I do look forward to the schedule upgrades that I am sure will come.

Last edited:
I absolutely LOVE that young women who never get to enjoy the special feeling of playing in a huge arena with a nice crowd watching getting to experience it. It’s the kind of memory that lasts a lifetime, and that’s a precious gift to receive.

What I don’t like, of course, is that giving that precious gift TOO often has resulted in Tennessee having a RealTime RPI of 157. For fans like me who always took great pride in the smart, tough way Pat always scheduled — nearly always having her teams in the top 3 in SOS and RPI. After Holly took over it each year it dipped a little more each year and now this season the numbers are at an all-time low for this many games in.

While I firmly believe that this year’s schedule turned out to be perfect for this team under a new staff, I do look forward to the schedule upgrades that I am sure will come.
Yep!

😁

No, it predates Hart to a certain extent, but it's more complicated that just wanting more home games. UT has always played 16-18 home games including exhibitions. The mandate from even the Hamilton/Cronan days was to keep that number.

What changed was that high mid-major teams used to flock to play UT at home without a return game because of the near guarantee that the game would be on TV. For most of them, it would be the only time until the postseason that they would be on TV. As the mid-2000s came around, teams like that started to be on regional cable all the time and suddenly coming to UT to take a 20-point loss was less appealing.

Then you have the opponents that were fixtures on the schedule that decided to change their scheduling philosophies, either for competitive or financial reasons. Rutgers, Old Dominion, Louisiana Tech, Oklahoma, Duke, North Carolina, etc. Many programs, even from major conferences, are only allowed to travel by air for one non-conference game per season. I know of at least two SEC teams that have this restriction. So those programs have moved on.

What that ends up giving you are teams from the Sun Belt, CUSA and the American all in demand to fill out the non-conference schedules of every SEC and ACC program.

Pat used to start the season with 85% of the non-conference schedule done with annual opponents. UT didn't cancel any of those series. The teams that are still interested in playing tough non-conference opponents are still on UT's schedule. And they will be going forward.

VN Store

Back