UT scouting report for Colgate, Iowa, Cincy fans

BACKDOC

UT's strengths............they are a good shooting team both from the field and from the FT line. Do not turn the ball over unless they are playing a really quick active team; see both games vs Auburn. In fact their point guard, Jordan Bone seemed to commit more turnovers towards the end of the season once they were playing tougher teams, whereas he was flawless earlier in the season. UT loves to share the ball; usually they always have more assists than the opponent. They sometimes have trouble blocking out on the defensive end, therefore second chance points are something to look for. They have played better D later in the year, but still have trouble defending the three ball. They can run in transition, or beat you in the half court playing a slow team such as Florida or Missouri. They sometimes play down to their opponent; see the game in Nashville vs Vandy, and the only meeting vs Bama at home. If they are locked in, they are hard to beat, just ask Kentucky, Gonzaga etc. Their biggest weakness is just playing with really quick athletic teams. They have trouble staying in front of athletic point guards, but Harper (Auburn) didn't hurt us in that regard as much as last year, and Waters from LSU was out due to illness in the only meeting, but Smart from LSU killed us.

UT's most consistent players are Williams and Schofield; as it's well documented Williams could stand to grow a couple of inches, but he uses his big body as well as anyone to gain position down low; he uses what his momma gave him about as well as anyone I've ever seen. Williams has developed a 3 pt. shot this year, but it's not like he's gonna hit four of five per game like Schofield. The biggest problem with Williams is even though he is a star player he seems to pick up phantom fouls; sometimes sitting him on the bench. Alexander is kinda on and off; part of his problem is he gets in foul trouble, and fouls out of the game often. But, for a big man he has a nice little jump shot and is a good FT shooter. Probably just needs a little more lead in his pencil like Williams and Schofield. Bone, Turner, and Bowden are all very streaky shooters. Bone went five for five from beyond the arc against UK, and scored 27; the next game he only had five points. If the other two go cold it usually last for a few game; luckily both have been hot lately; hopefully for the Vols it will continue into the tourney. Turner can drive to the basket, but his lack of size hurts him around the rim more so than Bowden. Bone is possibly the fastest player in the nation, but he is a straight line type of player; does not have the shake and bake of a Tremont Waters. Fulkerson is not the greatest shooter, but plays tenaciously, and can get up above the rim for a white guy. If Pons comes in you don't really have to bother guarding him, but the guy can jump out of the gym. Most of his points come by way dunks against the smaller schools of the world. Tennessee seems to play better when they work the shot clock, and don't settle for 3's. Feel free to add; there are people on here that know a lot more about bball than I do.

I read the thread line. Many on this board understand and know our teams weaknesses.
This analysis is fair and accurate and most will agree. Good Job. However a lot of assumptions with T Waters and Auburn after Kentucky Game.
Fans from the schools can venture and benefit from it. Coaches already know.
I guess the question is how do we compare with the teams listed Head to Head.
IOW tell us something that we don't know by listing how TN matches up with each team.

I’m not gonna lie man, this place is dead. Sure there are some threads and convo with the regs, but it just seems subdued. People afraid bc of the Auburn game? People not getting hype from fear? BVS? Let’s freakin go guys and gals.

As a UC alum I'm annoyed that the two teams I root for potentially play the first weekend. 1 has to lose, and I want both to make it past the round of 32.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
I wish Jordan Bone would take over games more. He becomes very passive. The guy is an amazing PG. His vision is 10X better this year.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
I'd add the following:

UT's biggest defensive weaknesses are:

1. Not a very good defensive rebounding team
2. Does not cover the 3 point line well
Tell me about covering the 3 point shot. How the hell do you play man-to-man and leave someone in the corner WIDE open?

Reactions: amorange
Tell me about covering the 3 point shot. How the hell do you play man-to-man and leave someone in the corner WIDE open?[/QUOTE

1. We double team up top leaving a man open. It only takes a split second for a good ball handler to find an open man and the defense can’t recover. I understand why we double team the man up top but it’s hurt us more than helped us this year imo.

2. We Struggle defending guards that dribble penetrate and keeping the other team’s guard in front on defense. Ex. Auburn’s guards blew by our guards and then kicked it out to open man when UT provided help defense.

Just my thoughts from what I’ve seen this yr on tv and at the arena Sunday vs Auburn.

Since the Memphis game, I have come to believe that teams who can need to turn the game into a chaos up and down affair. The Vols are great in transition breaks. But they are so when coming out of typical 1/2 ct sets. Full court pressure and end to end decision making takes this team out of the game that CRB has conditioned them for. If I were the toothpaste guys or another underdog type, this would be my scheme if at all possible.
Memphis should have been a 25-30pt win. Their chaos kept it to 10ish. 2nd half Arky tapped into it. Auburn and their coaching is tailor made for this.

Reactions: horseplayntn
Showing up = Mental mind set.
This is our biggest shortcoming.
The teams physical abilities don't change except for tiredness or injury. So most of the things you talk about as being faults, go back to "mental".

Throughout the year, I felt this was the best passing; best sharing; best overall shooting; and best attitude team we had ever had. The first Vandy games; 1st KY game; LSU game; and the regular season Auburn game were bumps in the road in which we lost our focus, and we did not look like the team we were all season.

The Semi-final Ky game was fantastic. My confidence was sky high. But then came Auburn and the Championship game. It shook me to the core because it was not simply a loss; it was a total disaster. All the outstanding traits of our team seemed to all go out the window, along with the most disturbing part of all; we seemed to not care about even being there. I never dreamed this team would not try at all.

That is why I go into this tournament with less confidence than I have had all year. Hope and pray I am wrong, but if this team can play like that against Auburn, with the championship on the line both times, then they can go into any game now with no motivation or desire to give their all.

Guess we will see very soon. Still love this team; just very concerned.

The Semi-final Ky game was fantastic. My confidence was sky high. But then came Auburn and the Championship game. It shook me to the core because it was not simply a loss; it was a total disaster. All the outstanding traits of our team seemed to all go out the window, along with the most disturbing part of all; we seemed to not care about even being there. I never dreamed this team would not try at all.

Long season back to back games with Kentucky, a physically demanding game. Then Auburn the quickest toughest to defend from the 3 equals tired from a long season! They've had a few days to get their legs back underneath them and I'm sure they are primed to make a deep run in tournament. It's all about match ups from here on in. The stumbling game for me is the Villanova game if it happens. Villanova have 3 guys who has won the show. You can't coach the experience of been there done that! GBO!!

Auburn's 3 point line was half court! It was insane how well they shot for 3 points. Hope we don't meet them again this year.

Yes, that was why it was so hard to guard them. It would be interesting to know if any of our potential opponents spread the floor that far (and are able to consistently hit their shots).

I wish Jordan Bone would take over games more. He becomes very passive. The guy is an amazing PG. His vision is 10X better this year.
His turnovers are when he gets cute and caught in the air. Take the flash out of it and he is damn good with the ball

VN Store

Back