UT Receiving Votes in Coaches Poll

Currently 7 non power 5 teams (including ND) are ranked. In my opinion only 3 or 4 of them ND, Memphis, Boise St. and possibly App St. are legitimate teams as I can see no reason for a 2 loss non power 5 school to be ranked unless they have some big wins against ranked or bowl eligible power 5 schools. Even a 1 loss non power 5 needs a little help to be ranked like history or a great quality win. That said Memphis, Boise St., App St., and ND have a combined ONE win against a top 25 power 5 school and that's ND beating currently #22 UVA.

#25 Air Force 10-2 (best win Colorado) , #20 App St (best wins Louisiana, S. Carolina and N. Carolina none ranked) #21 Cincinnati (best win UCLA) and #23 Navy (best win SMU, did not play a power 5 school, played ND and got beat 52-10)

These teams are just ranked because of their records against trash schedules. This needs to be addressed seriously by the NCAA. The polls reward wins over quality of games at a very disproportionate rate.

Other wtfs?
8-4 USC ranked #24 but 8-4 K St is not ranked and they beat Oklahoma?
10-2 Bama ranked 9th while 10-2 Wisconsin is 10th? Bama's best win is Tennessee (t34) and Wisconsin has wins over Michigan, Minnesota and Iowa who are all currently ranked. Wtf?
In fact every power 5 school that is 10-2 (Florida, Wisconsin, Penn St., Minnesota and Oregon) have better wins than Bama. Bama is ranked higher because they never lost big. However, they didn't have the quality wins I believe are needed to be ranked top 10 as a 2 loss team.
Bama has only beaten 4 bowl eligible teams in 2019. That's the same amount as Tennessee has beaten. Let that sink in.

Just my thoughts...
With regard to Wisconsin, I don't think they ever get the respect they deserve. They put a beat down on Michigan this year.

How many of them did you predict we'd lose after the GaSt. Game?
I'll admit that I expected a lot more losses. I guess my thinking now is I know we are vastly improved, but is it reasonable to think we 'can take on the world' based on that improvement against those particular teams we beat?

I'll admit that I expected a lot more losses. I guess my thinking now is I know we are vastly improved, but is it reasonable to think we 'can take on the world' based on that improvement against those particular teams we beat?

I didn't realize we were talking about taking on the world. We (you and me) have no control over the polls. This is a discussion about whether or not we make it in the top 25 if we win a bowl against a ranked team.

Once you get out of the top 10 its a crap shoot, but looking at some of the teams in the top 25 and who they played, I think 34 is reasonable.

Really doesn't mean much in the big picture unless you're in the top 10 anyway, so no reason to make a big deal about it either way.

Would be nice to end this season ranked though. I mean, who'd a thunk it? Lol.

We only beat 3 bowl eligibility teams this year, and they are, UAB (out best win), Miss State, and Kentucky. Mizzou can't go to a bowl, south Carolina doesn't have enough wins and neither does vandy. Chattanooga is a FCS opponent so they don't count for FBS bowl eligibility.
I counted Mizzou since they qualified based in record. The bowl suspension as you pointed keeps them from playing but the record is what gives eligibility. At least that's how I intended to position my statement.
Hopefully that clears it all up.

Go Vols

We would have beaten bama by 10 or more this year if either Bray, Ainge, Clausen, Manning or Shuler are our qbs. Might have even beaten them with Kelly.

This year’s Bama team was not very good.

I have talked to many non-Vol fans about the Bama game, all of them say UT had a good chance against Bama if it wasn’t for the officiating. Everybody recognized that fiasco... If I remember correctly the officiating counted for 2 Bama scores and at least 1 UT score. Sure, they got their blowout wins this year but they were a much more beatable team without Tua.

Regardless of what the poll says - LSU, UGA, Bama, Auburn, UF, Clemson, OSU, and OU are the only schools that I feel should be favored against us right now.
I would like our chances against everyone else (even few of those on that list that beat us this year would probably not want to play us again right now).

Wow, just wow. Have you not seen the inconsistency in the offense?

Beating a bunch of nothing in the past two months does not make us the Number 9 team in the country. Sorry.

Wow, just wow. Have you not seen the inconsistency in the offense?

Beating a bunch of nothing in the past two months does not make us the Number 9 team in the country. Sorry.

I was actually being conservative but since you insist here is what I really think ;).
At this point after watching the way our team came together I believe we would have a real shot at beating all of those teams with the exception of LSU, OSU, and Clemson. By the way one of those nothings we beat that you mention (SCjr) defeated UGA in Athens, and the other (UK) had Gators beat before literally gifting them the game at the very end.

I was actually being conservative but since you insist here is what I really think ;).
At this point after watching the way our team came together I believe we would have a real shot at beating all of those teams with the exception of LSU, OSU, and Clemson. By the way one of those nothings we beat that you mention (SCjr) defeated UGA in Athens, and the other (UK) had Gators beat before literally gifting them the game at the very end.

Okay, then. Carry on.

Regardless of what the poll says - LSU, UGA, Bama, Auburn, UF, Clemson, OSU, and OU are the only schools that I feel should be favored against us right now.
I would like our chances against everyone else (even few of those on that list that beat us this year would probably not want to play us again right now).
I felt that way too until I watched the Vandy game

Should we beat a team like Michigan in a bowl game could it be enough to sneak us into the final Top 25?

Idk....id like to believe. I really think it depends on offense. Is it one who showed up against mizzou or one showed up against vandy. You need balance to beat team like michigan

I felt that way too until I watched the Vandy game

Why? All the teams from that list have had games they won without playing great (even lost some games). To me this is actually a sign we are getting back to the old UT winning ways when we routinely win games like this without having to play great or even close to our potential.

VN Store

Back