UT QB commit gets Elite 11 invite

I leave that to individual opinion...but not sure what JT Shrout has to do with it, since he didn’t participate in an Elite 11. Shouldn’t that disqualify him? 😉

I miss the emoticons. You'd have a couple of those cheering you on here. Granted I'm ignorant and far from an expert on that particular camp. If we've got 3 or 4 of their tops on our roster at QB and we've struggled at that position and none of them wrested the job away from a historic dud at the position, just not sure the Elite 11 produces anywhere close to the top 11 college bound QBs. It could be like the Babe Ruth League draft at your local ballparks. After the first 4 or 5 top players, you're then picking kids based on how reliable their parents are for working concession stand duty. OR the proverbial tallest player in a midget basketball league award.

I'm gonna go ahead and say that neither JT or Maurer were better than JG last year or the year before.

What ? what ? What alternative universe involves JG being better than anyone for any team the last two years? Can we just please forget JG. I was having a good night but I just threw up a little in my mouth remembering his play.

I miss the emoticons. You'd have a couple of those cheering you on here. Granted I'm ignorant and far from an expert on that particular camp. If we've got 3 or 4 of their tops on our roster at QB and we've struggled at that position and none of them wrested the job away from a historic dud at the position, just not sure the Elite 11 produces anywhere close to the top 11 college bound QBs. It could be like the Babe Ruth League draft at your local ballparks. After the first 4 or 5 top players, you're then picking kids based on how reliable their parents are for working concession stand duty. OR the proverbial tallest player in a midget basketball league award.

Agree. I looked at the Finalists each year a few years back and noticed that ~30% or less seem to have a meaningful impact in college or pros (not scientifically analyzed by any means) but there are some NFL stars in the bunch. One of my favs made it - a guy named Dobbs. I believe coaching has a lot to do with it. I don’t care who starts but I do want at least two QBs that are very, very capable of running the offense. The real issues for me are Defense and overall depth.

Reactions: butchna
I’ve got WAY more. Those are two OVERALL WINNERS. There’s a large number of PARTICIPANTS who don’t make a dent in college. They’re not ELITE because of what got them invited. It’s what they do at the next level.

Mitch Mustain
I have no data but it seems the way things like this usually work would mean out of 11, probably 1-2 become All Americans, 1-2 all conference, 3-4 starters but not all anything, and the rest bust. So, in any E11 class about half of them don’t ever become a regular starter. That’s just a guess. It’s possible that’s low given we’re talking about guys that are supposed to be the best. That would be interesting data to see.

Reactions: butchna
I have no data but it seems the way things like this usually work would mean out of 11, probably 1-2 become All Americans, 1-2 all conference, 3-4 starters but not all anything, and the rest bust. So, in any E11 class about half of them don’t ever become a regular starter. That’s just a guess. It’s possible that’s low given we’re talking about guys that are supposed to be the best. That would be interesting data to see.

I don't know much about HS camps and so forth, but shouldn't one that bills itself as the elite 11 be producing starters across the board? There are 130 FBS teams so if you pick the best 11, you should be picking guys that are going to start at their position. If half of them don't ever do that, the concept is inherently flawed and the name is meaningless. These are supposed to be the top 8.5% of QBs in the country, rated as such by experts who have been watching them for years. If the data did, in fact, show that over the long term "in any E11 class about half of them don't ever become a regular starter," then this whole enterprise is ridiculous.

Reactions: Remy
I don't know much about HS camps and so forth, but shouldn't one that bills itself as the elite 11 be producing starters across the board? There are 130 FBS teams so if you pick the best 11, you should be picking guys that are going to start at their position. If half of them don't ever do that, the concept is inherently flawed and the name is meaningless. These are supposed to be the top 8.5% of QBs in the country, rated as such by experts who have been watching them for years. If the data did, in fact, show that over the long term "in any E11 class about half of them don't ever become a regular starter," then this whole enterprise is ridiculous.
Sure, but life happens. Grades, drugs, pressure, etc. I have no idea what percentage don’t turn into regular starters but I’d venture to guess it’s more than most people would assume.

Definition of Elite: You beat the tar outta a whole buncha folks and they hate you.

VN Store

Back