UT QB All-Time Stats for Comparison

Actually JG is up there in the TD list and way down on the INT list.. so umm try again
He played in 30 games (played in not started) and threw 32 TD's about 1 per game for comparison
Peyton 45 games 89 TD's (unfair comparison) but about 2 per game
Clausen 45 75 still a bit unfair but after that it gets interesting
Bray and Ainge are similar to the above.
Dobbs 37 53
interesting zone
Shuler 33 36 First round pick 3rd overall
Kelley 42 36 was loved by fans
Martin 38 32 natty

Oh and all of them threw more picks than JG a lot more other than Tee Martin and Heath Shuler all the others threw 2-3x more ints than JG. The guy has a career 3-1 TD/int ratio
How can you make half of the list an unfair comparison? They all play the same position at the same school and there have only been a dozen or so 2+ season qb starters in the last few decades. The bottom line is that he hasn’t been a productive quarterback when it comes to scoring. The reason for that is up for debate, but he just doesn’t light up the scoreboard no matter how well he plays. I wish he did! I like him a lot and I think he does a lot of things well as evidenced by his QB rating and INTs

Guarantano’s rank on this list is a classic example of how cold, statistical data can mask the context within which those numbers were compiled, context that can be fully revealed only by game-film analysis. His numbers vs. Missouri this season clearly illustrate that he is capable of stretching the field and performing well against a good SEC defense. At the same time, his QBR, completion percentage and interception ratio have been historically skewed by his risk-averse nature.

Joe Namath played in the old AFL during a time when it was common for quarterbacks to complete less than 50% of their passes, due in part to the fact that tight ends and running backs were less frequently targeted then in the passing game. Namath once responded directly to criticism by stating, “Sure, I could complete 60% of my passes if all I did was dump the ball off to my tight end and running backs.” Like many of his colleagues in the AFL, Namath had a gun-slinger mentality, which was illustrated most clearly on one drive vs. the Raiders in the infamous “Heidi game” of 1968. From his own 3-yard line, Namath dropped back into his endzone and hit Don Maynard on a 47-yard strike to midfield. On, I believe the next play, Namath proceeded to hit Maynard on another bomb for a 50-yard touchdown (Heidi Game - Wikipedia).

Hopefully, Guarantano will continue to improve as a senior, if he is able to hold onto the starting position. I don’t believe, however, that he will ever consistently manifest the wide-open gunslinger mentality of Namath.

Reactions: LittleVol and sjt18
Guarantano’s rank on this list is a classic example of how cold, statistical data can mask the context within which those numbers were compiled, context that can be fully revealed only by game-film analysis. His numbers vs. Missouri this season clearly illustrate that he is capable of stretching the field and performing well against a good SEC defense. At the same time, his QBR, completion percentage and interception ratio have been historically skewed by his risk-averse nature.

Joe Namath played in the old AFL during a time when it was common for quarterbacks to complete less than 50% of their passes, due in part to the fact that tight ends and running backs were less frequently targeted then in the passing game. Namath once responded directly to criticism by stating, “Sure, I could complete 60% of my passes if all I did was dump the ball off to my tight end and running backs.” Like many of his colleagues in the AFL, Namath had a gun-slinger mentality, which was illustrated most clearly on one drive vs. the Raiders in the infamous “Heidi game” of 1968. From his own 3-yard line, Namath dropped back into his endzone and hit Don Maynard on a 47-yard strike to midfield. On, I believe the next play, Namath proceeded to hit Maynard on another bomb for a 50-yard touchdown (Heidi Game - Wikipedia).

Hopefully, Guarantano will continue to improve as a senior, if he is able to hold onto the starting position. I don’t believe, however, that he will ever consistently manifest the wide-open gunslinger mentality of Namath.
The YPA stat indicates that he throws the ball down the field as much as anybody though. I think you can for sure criticize his vision/progressions, awareness and getting the ball out on time, but I don’t think he’s really risk averse. He just doesn’t see the field as well as you want him to at times.

2 stats that surprised me a little..both happened to be Shuler related... Peyton has 147 .1. Rating to Shulers 147.0....a tenth of a point separates 1st and 2nd highest for a career by a Vol. Other surprise was that Shuler only ran for 14TDs in his career. He left a year early , but he was as fast as some receivers and fearless running the ball. I thought he would have had more. Dobbs wasnt a very good passer, but he was a dang good QB and bailed a sorry offense out countless times . Even with mobile QBs becoming more prevalent...Dobbs stats will stand for a long while rushing. IMO.

GOVOLS. HOOSIER DADDY?
Heath started only 2 years.

You also have to consider that he, Manning, Kelly, and others up to Clausen I believe played before the 12th regular season game was added.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
What stands out to me is Tyler Bray. If he had stayed his last year, he may have passed Peyton's all time passing TDs record. Has he ever given an interview talking about what would have happened if he played 2013 in Knoxville?

Yeah, he would have been sitting because he would have been ineligible.

i find it amazing that except for rushing yds/rushing TDs how close Shuler and Tee are to Guarantano are stat wise
Shuler and Martin were two years starters. Stats have limitations.

Shuler led offenses that scored 347 and 484 points before the addition of the 12th regular season game. Martin's O's scored 431 and 369.

In JG's two years as (sort of) starter, UT has scored 273 and 291 points. In 2017, the O scored 238 points with 24.2 ppg in games started by Dormady and 16.7 ppg behind JG.

In short, stats without points and wins... shouldn't impress anyone.

Shuler and Martin were two years starters. Stats have limitations.

Shuler led offenses that scored 347 and 484 points before the addition of the 12th regular season game. Martin's O's scored 431 and 369.

In JG's two years as (sort of) starter, UT has scored 273 and 291 points. In 2017, the O scored 238 points with 24.2 ppg in games started by Dormady and 16.7 ppg behind JG.

In short, stats without points and wins... shouldn't impress anyone.
Its almost like Martin and Shuler played with more more talent. Also maybe it had to do with Dormady throwing 85% of his passes in the non conference schedule while JG was a freshman facing the meat of the schedule.

No matter how you want to spin it JG has been productive, especially with the comparative lack of talent around him.

Its almost like Martin and Shuler played with more more talent. Also maybe it had to do with Dormady throwing 85% of his passes in the non conference schedule while JG was a freshman facing the meat of the schedule.
Or it could be because you are blind cultist with very little idea what you are talking about... I think that's the right one.

Shuler never played with a pair of receivers as talented as Callaway and Jennings. Martin had Peerless.... but that alone doesn't explain the point difference.

But you be you... go ahead and shift blame and throw the other guys under the bus. Anything but admit that JG is a very flawed QB, right?

No matter how you want to spin it JG has been productive, especially with the comparative lack of talent around him.
He has a losing record as a starter. Unless he really figures out how to move the O between now and next year, he will finish very low all time in both wins and points. Unless someone changed the rules of the game when none of us were looking.... that's ultimately what matters.

FWIW, JG held the talent around him back as much or more than they held him back. Odd that guys who were good players in '16 just suddenly began to suck in '17, '18, and '19 are slim to none. But according to you... that explains away all of JG's LACK of production.

Last edited:

PS- JG STILL hasn't led a UT O to more than 30 points against an FBS opponent.

Or it could be because you are blind cultist with very little idea what you are talking about... I think that's the right one.

Shuler never played with a pair of receivers as talented as Callaway and Jennings. Martin had Peerless.... but that alone doesn't explain the point difference.

But you be you... go ahead and shift blame and throw the other guys under the bus. Anything but admit that JG is a very flawed QB, right?

He has a losing record as a starter. Unless he really figures out how to move the O between now and next year, he will finish very low all time in both wins and points. Unless someone changed the rules of the game when none of us were looking.... that's ultimately what matters.

FWIW, JG held the talent around him back as much or more than they held him back. Odd that guys who were good players in '16 just suddenly began to suck in '17, '18, and '19. But according to you... that explains away all of JG's LACK of production.
in fairness, Shuler and Martin had backfields with NFL stables at RB and OL, which lead to most of those point totals...JG has never had that...

Reactions: k-town_king
Shuler had Joey Kent and Cory Fleming who were pretty darn good. Also had James Stewart, Aaron Hayden and Charlie Garner lined up behind him. Man I miss those stacked backfields and road grader o-lines.

Reactions: k-town_king
Shuler had Joey Kent and Cory Fleming who were pretty darn good. Also had James Stewart, Aaron Hayden and Charlie Garner lined up behind him. Man I miss those stacked backfields and road grader o-lines.
I think we're getting back to those days

You mean like "Where you at Holloway?? Get your rushing yards up!" Or. "Yo how can you keep Holloway off the list"?

I was really surprised by the disparity in rushing yards between the two. I grew up considering CH as TNs most mobile QB (also one of my favorites)....So, "where you at Holloway" literally means, "Holy Crap, Dobbs has many more rushing yards than I thought..I cant believe its that much more than Conderage Holloway"......

I hope this helps..

Reactions: LittleVol
I was really surprised by the disparity in rushing yards between the two. I grew up considering CH as TNs most mobile QB (also one of my favorites)....So, "where you at Holloway" literally means, "Holy Crap, Dobbs has many more rushing yards than I thought..I cant believe its that much more than Conderage Holloway"......

I hope this helps..

So it's the first one then.
Coo.

BTW, I wasn't digging at you.

Yeah, different eras. Different philosophies.
But Condredge still might have had better feet.

Dobbs was an elusive and strong runner.

I don't think he had better receivers. I remember them well and would take the current group in a split second.

in fairness, Shuler and Martin had backfields with NFL stables at RB and OL, which lead to most of those point totals...JG has never had that...
RB's agreed. The OL performed well this year. I would argue that him being among the SEC's worst in holding the ball impacted the OL performance significantly.

But you have a point with the run game. Hurd and Kamara left a big hole.

I don't think he had better receivers. I remember them well and would take the current group in a split second.

I would have loved to seen Peyton Manning with Calloway and Jennings.
Especially Jennings!! I don't believe he would have went 0-4 against Florida had Jennings been out there. Calloway would have put up huge numbers but Jennings would have given those explosive offenses a tougher edge to them.

He also hasn’t played in an offense that ranked above about 12th in the SEC in rushing. Some of the production is his fault, some of it isn’t.
I don't really have a problem with you saying that or having an honest debate about how much belongs to who. My problem with guys like k-town is that they won't allow any blame to be laid on JG.

I give JG a ton of credit. I haven't completely bought in but he had a run of 4 good weeks down the stretch. If he could keep that up then I'm good with him. k-town and a couple of others are stuck though. To praise him for improving will be admitting they were badly, badly wrong when they denied he was having the problems others pointed out.

I would have loved to seen Peyton Manning with Calloway and Jennings.
Especially Jennings!! I don't believe he would have went 0-4 against Florida had Jennings been out there. Calloway would have put up huge numbers but Jennings would have given those explosive offenses a tougher edge to them.
Jennings is far from the most talented WR in UT history. But there isn't a receiving corps in the last 30-40 years that he wouldn't have made MUCH better.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc

VN Store

Back