UT QB All-Time Stats for Comparison

I’d love to see Streater, Swamp Rat, and Holloway in today’s game.

That would be fun to watch

Given what Dewey accomplished as the initial mastermind behind BYU’s passing attack, you can connect the dots and make a pretty good guess concerning what he would have done at UT, if left to his own devices.

Warren was instrumental in revolutionizing college football under LaVell Edwards at Brigham Young. Edwards, who had spent his career as a defensive coach, became head coach in 1972; he knew that BYU lacked the blue-chip athletes necessary to win consistently with a conventional run-oriented game, so [he] handed the offense to Warren, who had been hired to install a passing attack.

Warren's offense turned every running play into a passing play and overwhelmed defenses with four and five receivers, coming from every possible position in the offense. Although Warren left BYU after only two seasons, his offense, led by quarterback Gary Sheide, was already setting records. BYU continues to use his offense, with further refinements, today.” Dewey Warren - Wikipedia

As it was, he led the nation in passing efficiency in 1966.

Reactions: TN_Transplant
One could argue that Dobbs is the 2nd best QB in UT history. Not saying they’d necessarily win the argument, but one could definitely be made.
I feel that way. With a competent staff around him he could have been in the hunt for the Heisman. People overlook that he's #2 behind Peyton in total TDs for his career

Interesting that Manning, Shuler, T Bray and JG are the only QBs with a 140+ rating.
The fact that JG's completion percentage is right up there with all the top QB's of the past. Worst case he stats at number 7 on the list but if he starts next year he can get close to Dobbs. He needs 5 TD's to pass Shuler, Kelly, and Crompdaddy. Also note his ints almost every QB that threw more yards or TD's than him threw at least twice as many ints. The one QB with stats most similar to his is...Heath Shuler. Think about that for a second
But yeah looking at overall numbers Manning and Dobbs are head and heels over the rest. I expected Manning but didn't expect Dobbs to be so solidly in second place as best QB (factoring in his rushing)..

Dobbs is the second best qb we had. Clausen won more but wasn't as good of a player individually. Put Dobbs on the Clausen teams and he may have won a Heisman and an NC.

I have no Doubts about this. Loved Clausen and he was tough and a winner, but had Dobbs had those types of weapons on offense AND defense, we might win 2 MNC.

I'll go as far as to say he is the best overall player we've ever had.

Obviously Manning had the higher upside and proved it in the NFL but Josh Dobbs JR and SR senior years was unstoppable sometimes.

It is sad they didn't rate based on TOTAL yards, you may have noticed Tee had close to 700 yards(rushing) where as CJ has Negative numbers, IF total yardage was the manner of ranking, the numbers would change-a lot. Numbers alone don't always tell the whole picture. Look at the total TD's (last time I checked making points is how you win), Dobbs was/is great. The only bad thing I can think of when I think of Dobbs-he kept boy butch from getting fired, he was really that good.

Debates of this kind are endlessly fascinating, but truly meaningful comparisons can only be made by assessing to what degree did player X eclipse the accomplishments of other players of his era, while also taking into consideration the talent of player X’s surrounding cast.

No quarterback at Tennessee has ever achieved what Josh Dobbs did as a runner; only Jimmy Streater was remotely close. And Josh is, arguably, the best ambassador for the University of Tennessee that has emerged from our football program since Peyton. However, Manning and Shuler finished runners-up in balloting for the Heisman. Part of their stature, of course, owes to the overall strength of the teams on which Manning and Shuler played. However, Peyton was, as we all know, also a First-Team Consensus All-American at quarterback in 1997. To my knowledge, the only previous Tennessee quarterback to achieve All-American honors was Bobby Dodd in 1930 (Bobby Dodd - University of Tennessee Athletics), who, of course, is not even listed among offensive leaders on this list.

Ultimately, the aforementioned facts are all that I need to conclude that Peyton Manning and Heath Shuler are, in that order, the top two quarterbacks in Tennessee football history. In terms of sheer physical talent, Tony Robinson should be ranked far higher in this conversation and would have been much higher on this chart, had he not sustained that career-ending injury vs. Alabama. Indeed, his performance against Auburn propelled him into serious conversation for the Heisman.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Debates of this kind are endlessly fascinating, but truly meaningful comparisons can only be made by assessing to what degree did player X eclipse the accomplishments of other players of his era, while also taking into consideration the talent of player X’s surrounding cast.

No quarterback at Tennessee has ever achieved what Josh Dobbs did as a runner; only Jimmy Streater was remotely close. And Josh is, arguably, the best ambassador for the University of Tennessee that has emerged from our football program since Peyton. However, Manning and Shuler finished runners-up in balloting for the Heisman. Part of their stature, of course, owes to the overall strength of the teams on which Manning and Shuler played. However, Peyton was, as we all know, also a First-Team Consensus All-American at quarterback in 1997. To my knowledge, the only previous Tennessee quarterback to achieve All-American honors was Bobby Dodd in 1930 (Bobby Dodd - University of Tennessee Athletics), who, of course, is not even listed among offensive leaders on this list.

Ultimately, the aforementioned facts are all that I need to conclude that Peyton Manning and Heath Shuler are, in that order, the top two quarterbacks in Tennessee football history. In terms of sheer physical talent, Tony Robinson should be ranked far higher in this conversation and would have been much higher on this chart, had he not sustained that career-ending injury vs. Alabama. Indeed, his performance against Auburn propelled him into serious conversation for the Heisman.
You are right on. There is one more BIG factor that is debatable on how to factor it in, that would be games won, and how many extra points for things like NATY's won? And we should never forget-Tee's Perfect season! Give me a lower ranking and a perfect season, every season!!!

Yards per attempt and QBR show the creme rising to the top. Manning, Shuler, and Bray. Too bad Bray played for Doofus and teams with little D. As someone else already mentioned; interesting that JG is also above 140 on QBR.

Reactions: I40flyer
i find it amazing that except for rushing yds/rushing TDs how close Shuler and Tee are to Guarantano are stat wise
Of course, defensive backs could basically mug a wide receiver back then. Today, if a defensive back looks at a receiver wrong they flag him for something.

I think when you factor in stats plus big plays plus big wins against great teams, Clausen has to be 2nd to Peyton

2001 UF was a great team and 2003 Miami was a great win. Who else was great? Michigan? They were 8-3 when UT played them. UF is '03 was decent but not great. Bama suck during that time except for '02 but they beat UT that season.

2001 UF was a great team and 2003 Miami was a great win. Who else was great? Michigan? They were 8-3 when UT played them. UF is '03 was decent but not great. Bama suck during that time except for '02 but they beat UT that season.
Beat Florida x2. Bama x 3. Notre dame. Michigan. Syracuse. Miami. LSU. S Carolina.

Reactions: I40flyer

VN Store

Back