UT plans to demolish Neyland home

looks like something i would suggest needs to be torn down if i was walking by it on the street. it's not been kept up, the historical commission of knoxville approved it's demolition....i think it's ok to tear it down.

his real house is on Phillip Fulmer way....anyway. :)

Reactions: 1 person
We need to find Fulmer’s home when he was a grad. Assistant or off. Line coach so we can get a head start on the preservation of it. According to many here he is the greatest coach we ever had.

The home doesn't appear to have any architectural value.
I used to live near one of Neyland's later homes in the historic North Knoxville area. It was much more attractive than this **** hole.

wow, you could run for President. I would vote for you.:rock:

The home doesn't appear to have any architectural value.
I used to live near one of Neyland's later homes in the historic North Knoxville area. It was much more attractive than this **** hole.

Tell us how you really feel my man

Wow..I personally couldn't bring myself to demolish ANY of Neylands homes. I'd have to walk off the crew. That said 10 homes is impressive. Can't keep them all I guess...

I just pulled this up on google street. Did Neyland used to walk to that Walmart right there as well?

Dunno but if he did it would have been called Walton's back then.

Attachments

• Capitalism-SamWalton-1950-Walton-buys-the-Harrison-Variety-store-the-first-self-service-variety-.jpg
    Capitalism-SamWalton-1950-Walton-buys-the-Harrison-Variety-store-the-first-self-service-variety-.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
and this wasn't an issue 5 years ago, 10 years ago? IIRC Neyland has been gone a LONG time now. I just really hate this pseudo historic movement of a building not being important UNTIL it is time to tear it down. Then its OMG we HAVE to save this building, hold on let me Google where this is. OMG WE HAVE TO DO SOMETHING! You can put up a plaque outside a different building too, slap a photo on it and go on about your day. This is General Neylands pantry, this is his closet, this is his shi**er. No one cared until this moment. No one was begging to go in and tour this hallowed building and see where the general lived.

the reason to tear it down is that it is falling apart and would cost way too much money to fix it up. just because something might be old doesn't mean it has value. Considering how often Neyland moved around I would say it didn't have a terrible amount of value to him either.

This guy gets it.

Before this thread there weren't 3 people on this entire board that knew this house existed. Now it's a Knoxville treasure?!

Give me a break. Fake outrage.

Reactions: 2 people
That house is more valuable as a repurposed material resource for a remodel project.
" Where did you get that shiplap?" "It was from one of Gen. Neylands homes!" Those fake quotes are more exciting than any action that house has been getting..

I’m more pissed that the University of Tennessee didn’t do anything to acknowledge The House way before now . They was sitting on a museum goldmine . Could of easily rebuilt the house like Neyland had it and made it a landmark . It would of been a unique way to keep his memory going .

According to most you mean? If not all?

Neyland is hands down the BEST Coach that UT football has ever had. His maxims are recited every game for a reason. Tennessee isn't what it is without that man. Period.
The General is undoubtedly one of the top 10 greatest collegiate coaches ever

It would be good if a local woodworker could obtain some wood from the home and make some items from it. Could result is some nice mementos.

Fantastic local suggestion: leave Butch up on the billboard, add Tyndall and that baseball coach, and put Dave Hart's signature across the length of the sign.

VN Store

Back