UT Overrated in 2020 - they aren't wrong...

Actually, yeah it is.
When Dobbs was QB, some of the better statistical rushing we've ever had were with him as QB. It was because you couldn't load the box and stop us. He would hurt you on scrambles meaning the defense had to account for 11 guys and not just 10. He couldandhurt you enough to respect the pass. A true dual threat. If you're not or can't be that, than you better be able to convert 3rd downs by completion. JG hasn't done either.... so the boxes have been crowded most of the time...with him at the helm.
We finished 3rd in the SEC last year in 3rd down conversions.

Last edited:
Gray came on pretty strong the last half the season, hopefully he continues that -- Chaney though likes the pass more than the run, he showed that with Bray
I worry about that with Chaney sometimes. He got the same criticism at UGA. He'll flat out abandon the run at times.

Reactions: 08Vol and 508mikey
I love how Auburn made both an overrated and underrated list. That's Auburn to a tee.

I find it a little hard to believe that they're underrated given that they are 11th in the AP, and Auburn historically disappoints in years where they have a high preseason ranking, but we'll see.

I believe Auburn will struggle alot this year but just like them to have a couple TDs passes or blocked punts land in their arms with nothing but green grass in front of them.......

Reactions: 08Vol
Actually, yeah it is.
When Dobbs was QB, some of the better statistical rushing we've ever had were with him as QB. It was because you couldn't load the box and stop us. He would hurt you on scrambles meaning the defense had to account for 11 guys and not just 10. He couldandhurt you enough to respect the pass. A true dual threat. If you're not or can't be that, than you better be able to convert 3rd downs by completion. JG hasn't done either.... so the boxes have been crowded most of the time...with him at the helm.
We were one of the best in the league last year at 3rd down conversions, not sure how we could have been much better with someone other than JG in that stat category.

2020 SEC expert picks: Most overrated and underrated teams, order of finish, bold predictions

Has Tennessee in the overrated category and with the reasons cited, they aren't wrong either.
The QB play this season, more than any other, is going to make or break this team.
Average or slightly above average QB play will make us a 7-3 or even 8-2 team...less than average in the QB spot and we'll be facing a 4-6 or worse.

Let UT prove whomever right or wrong on the field. That is where they are right now. This is the first year he had the same OC for two years in a row, he will be better. JG has never gotten a real fair shake with UT and the fiasco of HCs.

Go Vols!

I think JG is what he is and I don't have a lot of faith it will be any different.

HOWEVER......

All he really needs to do for Tennessee to be a better football team is be better in the red zone. Tennessee had a TD red zone percentage under 50%....which is terrible. They scored TD on 23 of 47 red opportunities. They also came away with 0 points on 10 of those 47 possessions, which is also terrible. And we know Tennessee's kicker was getting it done.

For me, that's all on JG. It's harder to run it down there. People playing the run. Coaches don't trust JG to throw it down there. Passing windows are smaller. Decisions have to be quicker. And that's where he really struggles. Tennessee's RZ completion percentage was 37.1% last year.

So, either Chaney has to have some special "ball plays" drawn up to get it in the end zone or JG has to figure something out. But, they can win with JG being JG as long as he is an improved player in the Red Zone.

JMO

Last edited:
2020 SEC expert picks: Most overrated and underrated teams, order of finish, bold predictions

Has Tennessee in the overrated category and with the reasons cited, they aren't wrong either.
The QB play this season, more than any other, is going to make or break this team.
Average or slightly above average QB play will make us a 7-3 or even 8-2 team...less than average in the QB spot and we'll be facing a 4-6 or worse.
How does that make us overrated? No one has said our QB is great. We should finish no worse than 3rd in East. We beat all the teams that will be 4-7 as we did last year. Again not sure how we are being overrated.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
The only thing I can say is that I'm fairly confident Vandy will be in the cellar and that SCAR and Mizzou will duke it out for 5th & 6th (I'll take Mizzou).

TN and Kentucky will challenge FL & GA and may even pull off the upset. The gap between 1&2 and 3&4 is smaller than most folks think. GA does have a schedule advantage though.

Reactions: MemphisVol77

I said it last preseason and I will say it again this preseason, UT will go as far as JG will take them. UT could have finished at 10-3 last season with a serviceable QB, but JG regressed and they lost to GA State and BYU.

Reactions: 08Vol and vols 30

sick of being that team year in and out whose weak spot is QB.

Never again.

Are you a Hoosier fan masquerading as a Vol fan? Because you seem to not have much knowledge about our team. 7-3 is the floor for this team, even with JG. You may have missed it, but we are slightly improved over two years ago, the last time we had a losing record. We would have won ten games last year with consistent quarterback play.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
I worry about that with Chaney sometimes. He got the same criticism at UGA. He'll flat out abandon the run at times.
I’m a fan of CJC, but please let’s not run anymore swing passes and please do not run the fake dive end around to the slot on 3rd or 4th and short . With our offensive we should just be pounded people.

VN Store

Back