UT gets commit from 2020 OL Javontez Spraggins

Big dogs require lots of groceries.

giphy.gif
giphy.gif
tenor.gif

Last edited:
Honest question here. CBJ is accused of recruiting by ranking services, even though he stated otherwise. They all do. My question is, do these rating services provide ANY value or resources for coaches. Or are they just a hype machine that keeps fans clicking in?

Mostly hype.

The "fake recruit' scandal really put the entire process out in the open. The recruiting services are followers, not leaders. Their ratings are primarily derived from "demand by top schools". So basically if a bunch of top schools are overrating or underrating a recruit, the recruiting services will follow suit.

Which is why it's more valuable to have a coach with a good track record of evaluation. Mizzou has pulled in a lot of crap classes according to the recruiting services, yet they've been competitive. This is because they've had good evaluators who have found underrated recruits that they could develop that other schools were missing.

Too early to say whether Pruitt is a great evaluator yet or not. I like what I see thus far, but we probably need another year or two of data to get a better sense.

Mostly hype.

The "fake recruit' scandal really put the entire process out in the open. The recruiting services are followers, not leaders. Their ratings are primarily derived from "demand by top schools". So basically if a bunch of top schools are overrating or underrating a recruit, the recruiting services will follow suit.

Which is why it's more valuable to have a coach with a good track record of evaluation. Mizzou has pulled in a lot of crap classes according to the recruiting services, yet they've been competitive. This is because they've had good evaluators who have found underrated recruits that they could develop that other schools were missing.

Too early to say whether Pruitt is a great evaluator yet or not. I like what I see thus far, but we probably need another year or two of data to get a better sense.
If one goes back and looks at the players he recruited the last 4-6 years before he came to Tennessee, one can determine that he can evaluate talent with the best of them. I am not at all worried about he evaluating skills.

This staff so far is 5-7. I'll believe they have it together when they start producing on the field., Guys this size are a good thing but it doesn't mean a lot if you can't beat Vandy for instance. Less talk more action is where I am at with Pruitt and the Vols.
Was their first season in a new scheme with players he didn't recruit and we should of had 6 wins but the ref won the game for South Carolina. So give them a break hold you judgment until after this season.

Mostly hype.

DG, you had me until this line. Pruitt is a 247 National Recruiter of the year winner and has recruited for multiple NC winning teams. There is no doubt in the slightest that he can evaluate talent, especially defensive. The question is whether he can get those great players here? we will see.

As to the ratings services, exactly right from the bit I know and what I have seen. Its also one reason why players go up the charts when the top programs start fighting for them.

This staff so far is 5-7. I'll believe they have it together when they start producing on the field., Guys this size are a good thing but it doesn't mean a lot if you can't beat Vandy for instance. Less talk more action is where I am at with Pruitt and the Vols.
lightenupfrancis.gif

Mostly hype.

Mizzou is 24-26 the last 4 years and currently on probation, I'm hoping and guessing that Pruitt will do better than this. Just because they've beaten us doesn't make them a program to emulate.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019

VN Store

Back