UT Game Notes - MTSU

MphsBlues

Excerpt:

UT Seeks Seventh Consecutive Win Over Blue Raiders

* 2008-09 marks Tennessee's 100th season of varsity basketball. A season-long centennial celebration includes the selection of a Tennessee Basketball All-Century Team. Ballots are available in the Thompson-Boling Arena concourse for all home games.
* In its last game, Tennessee defeated UT Martin 91-64 in Knoxville. The Vols had at least five players score in double figures (including two players with double-doubles) for the second straight game.
* Tuesday's win over UT Martin gave Tennessee its 34th straight home victory, giving Tennessee its longest home win streak in program history. The previous school-record streak of 33 games ran from Jan. 3, 1966, to Feb. 3, 1968, under legendary head coach Ray Mears.
* UT's 114 points in Saturday's opener vs. Chattanoga tied for the seventh-highest single-game scoring output in program history.
* After scoring 17 points in 19 minutes of action during the Chattanooga game (11/15), UT freshman guard Scotty Hopson was named the SEC Freshman of the Week. Hopson was 7-of-11 from the floor in the win and also recorded three rebounds, one steal and one block.
* Through the games of Tuesday, Nov. 18, Vols point guard Bobby Maze was leading the SEC with 9.0 assists per game. The first-year Vol also leads the team with five steals.
* The Vols return a total of six letterwinners, including two starters, from last year's squad that posted a 31-5 overall record and advanced to the Sweet 16 of the NCAA Tournament.
* UT newcomers include four true freshmen, one junior-college transfer and a redshirt freshman.
* A panel of SEC and national media tabbed the Vols as the preseason favorite to win the Southeastern Conference championship this season. Tyler Smith was named the preseason SEC Player of the Year by the panel and also was a first-team All-SEC selection by the league's coaches.

Tennessee Trends

* Tennessee has had two players record double-doubles in each of its first two games this season.
* Tennessee is 47-2 at Thompson-Boling Arena since the start of the 2005-06 season.
* UT has a 34-game homecourt winning streak. The Vols' last home loss was a 78-80 decision to Kentucky in the final home game of the 2005-06 season.
* The Vols are 25-0 in non-conference home games under Bruce Pearl.
* Bruce Pearl is 16-8 against ranked teams while at Tennessee.
* The Vols have made at least one 3-pointer in 357 consecutive games.
* Under Bruce Pearl, UT is 72-6 when leading or tied with five minutes left in the game.
* UT is 52-5 when scoring 80 or more points under the direction of Bruce Pearl.
* Tennessee has an all-time record of 1,424-908-2 in 100 seasons of basketball.
* UT's 634 regular-season SEC victories rank third all-time in the SEC. Only Kentucky and Alabama have won more league games.
* Tennessee is 247-86 in 22 seasons in Thompson-Boling Arena. The Vols have posted winning home records in 18 of their 21 full seasons in the facility.
* Tennessee is the only Division I school ever to rank in the top five nationally in attendance for football, men's basketball and women's basketball in the same season. The Vols turned the trick for the fifth time in 2007-08.

Whole article

A game Tennessee should win, but I wouldn't be too shocked if they find themselves down at half.

But, we did beat MTSU by 6,456,938 points last year, but that was a different MTSU team, at TBA.

the final should be similar to our last game, but with more balanced scoring from the opposition.

UT: 84

MT: 73

Murphy Center will be CRAZY!!!!!!!.....and it's the first time the boys are playing away from TBA......think it will be a good game, pretty close till the end if the 6'10" Hudson kid plays.....it's all anyone has talked about for two weeks straight down here in the 'Boro..

UT: 84

MT: 73

Murphy Center will be CRAZY!!!!!!!.....and it's the first time the boys are playing away from TBA......think it will be a good game, pretty close till the end if the 6'10" Hudson kid plays.....it's all anyone has talked about for two weeks straight down here in the 'Boro..

I read somewhere where you guys were camping out for tickets to the game. Is the student body pretty excited about the game?

I read somewhere where you guys were camping out for tickets to the game. Is the student body pretty excited about the game?

Yeah.....they were camping out and the last ticket was picked up Wed at the tic office..an official sell-out....

The students are really excited...heck, everyone is...it's been 20 years since UT has played at the Murph....

This is a GREAT game for the MT program and all "Thanks" goes to Bruce for playing it here.....

should be fun and one heck of an atmosphere, for sure...

I'm trying to go, will they be selling tickets at the game?

Nope....it's sold out and people all over the 'Boro are trying to get tickets...no one is parting with them....there might be a few outside the Murph..but, it's 30 degrees and getting colder tonight...so, I doubt too many people will be out scalping, if any....someone mentioned StubHub and some ridiculous pricing going on...I guess it depends on how much you want to go...

VN Store

Back