UT Defense 2 Deep - Early View

Kongbo and Phillips will start across from each other imo.

I doubt either get much time.
Phillips is too small to play DE in this scheme and not sure he fits an OLB. Just hasn't shown the work ethic.

Kongbo is apparently trying to get to 250 so he can play OLB. Sure.

My prediction is that we will have a top 5 SEC defense this year, which will be a massive improvement over one of the worst defenses in TN history vs the run.

Here is my early 2 deep: (without any of this years signing class besides Gooden)

DE Gooden 295/ Butler 285
DT Tuttle 310/ Alexis Johnson 305
DE Kongbo 280/ Phillips 280

OLB Austin Smith 240/ Jordan Allen 240
ILB Bituli 235/ Sapp 230
ILB Kirkland 235/ Bates 230
OLB D.Taylor 250/ Deandre Johnson 255

CB Shamburger/ Buchanan
CB Bird/ Labruzza
Nickel Osboure/ Bailey
S Abernathy/ Todd Kelly
S Warrior/ Theo Jackson

So we should have a legit 3-4 deep with our signing class with legit SEC size and speed. We won't be dominant but we have a chance to be really good IMO...we hv to get bigger at DE, and make big improvements with our DBs. Our LBs will be the strength of the defense.

Counting on a lot of freshmen and guys at a new position is not a recipe for a great defense. I think we will improve throughout the year. I am hoping by the last few games we get a glimpse of what we can be with a couple great recruiting classes.

I think our 3-4 will be good against spread teams, but I hope Pruitt has a 4-3 in his back pocket for the running teams like UGA, AU, and UA. I still have nightmares of the Sunseri 3-4.

Reactions: 2 people
Defense will improve relatively quickly, due to coaching. Offense (line) will be the Achilles heel until remedied. No one knows, but I would bet on top 5 SEC defense next year.[/QUOT

Top 5 SEC defense, You are kidding, right?:good!:

Reactions: 4 people
Not enough NFL talent on this squad for a top five SEC defense imo. Hope I am proven wrong though.

Not enough NFL talent on this squad for a top five SEC defense imo. Hope I am proven wrong though.

I tend to agree but it's not as hard as you think. Bama, Georgia, LSU will likely be top 3. Florida should be up there but the 5th spot is up for grabs.

Would like to see a full season of Phillips for a change, always seems to be hurt!?! :blink:

wouldn't just about anything be better than last year...our defense is at best a wait and see and hope for the best...talk of a top 5 is nice, but reality will be harder to watch...I just hope we can be competitive for a start...:)

GO VOLS!

The only thing I would change would be Osbourne at nickel and I don't think Johnson is fast enough to play OLB, I see him as bulking up and playing DE.

Reactions: 1 person
My prediction is that we will have a top 5 SEC defense this year, which will be a massive improvement over one of the worst defenses in TN history vs the run.

Here is my early 2 deep: (without any of this years signing class besides Gooden)

ILB Bituli 235/ Sapp 230

CB Shamburger/ Buchanan
CB Bird/ Labruzza
Nickel Osboure/ Bailey
S Abernathy/ Todd Kelly
S Warrior/ Theo Jackson

So we should have a legit 3-4 deep with our signing class with legit SEC size and speed. We won't be dominant but we have a chance to be really good IMO...we hv to get bigger at DE, and make big improvements with our DBs. Our LBs will be the strength of the defense.

Bird = Byrd

I think we have a lot of bodies with potential along the defensive line.. just need to be coached up. Excited about that group. Also think our RBs and WRs will surprise people.

ILB Bituli 235/ Sapp 230

CB Shamburger/ Buchanan
CB Bird/ Labruzza
Nickel Osboure/ Bailey
S Abernathy/ Todd Kelly
S Warrior/ Theo Jackson

agree other than 2 big errors:

Gooden will 110% be behind Phillips and most likely others

Will Ignont will be in the 2 deep at LB AND sapp will be at olb

Kongbo needs to get better, quick. I know many here love him, but to me, he always looked out of position and rarely made any big plays. I think heÂ’d be better inside. He doesnÂ’t appear to have the quickness and athleticism for DE.

Our tackles looked quicker and faster than Kongbo. Kirkland, Tuttle and Phillips can't stay healthy. The Vols will be short on talent and depth this fall.

D4H says Tennessee will have the 1st or 2nd best defense in the SEC and be top 10 nationally.

17 of the 22 in the defensive 2 deep will be 1st round draft picks. The number is kind of low because of lack of development that occurred under Butch.

Whatever D4H is smoking, I would like some please...

We're screwed even if none of these guys get hurt. And Pruitt says we're too small, so all of these Guys will be hurt at some point this year.

Side note: that Pruitt comment is red flag #1 up there with Dooleys shower discipline and Jones' circle of life drill.

Whadja want him to say ... "They won't have UT to kick around anymore"?

Crosby, Blakely, Gray, Ignot, Peterson, Picou, & Reid will all provide good depth too. Not counting potential position changes. Maybe another WR to CB because of a lack of depth? It'll be an interesting preseason.

ILB Bituli 235/ Sapp 230

CB Shamburger/ Buchanan
CB Bird/ Labruzza
Nickel Osboure/ Bailey
S Abernathy/ Todd Kelly
S Warrior/ Theo Jackson

That line up will not scare anyone in the SEC. Kirkland and Warrior (maybe Bituli if he ever learns where to line up) are the only players listed that would even be in the 2 deep of any of the top half of the SEC.

Anyone predicting that group to be a dominant defense either doesn't understand football or they are wearing very orange tinted glasses.

However, I do appreciate the positive attitude that many of you bring to this board.

Reactions: 1 person
A defense that has not stopped anyone in years and is now switching to the 3-4 will be a top 5 SEC defense? I seriously doubt this will be case.

At risk of becoming an online casualty. Like the few who didn't tow the hyped expectations the pre-Sunseri(2012) and pre-UpgradedStaff(2017) years. I have a feeling based on a few factors that this is going to be an ugly year defensively. Would love to be totally wrong.

#1 Switching 4-3 -> 3-4 personnel is historically bad in yr 1. It takes time to convert schemes. Yr 1Remember when UGA pulled the bandaid 5-6 years ago with top talent in house. Remember the Sal experiment and the pre-season hype preceding it?

#2 If Pruitt is really making the 3-4 base D swap, then he is wisely doing it NOW and not later. 2017 is a "write off" season in a rebuild. He won't be fired except in extreme circumstances. Safe jobs are the places to tinker. Not when you're not fully secure. Phil and Dooley precede him with this example.

#3 We sucked bad in 2017. So, it's not like CJP is taking elite talent and asking them to switch. He's taking an SEC bottom dweller and making the switch. A bad defense that lost it's best player to early exit.

#4 SEC offenses seem to be in a "waxing" stage at the moment. After a few dismal / mediocre QB crops, the SEC is now going to be loaded with several elite QBs. That won't help matters each week.

That's all the sunshine I've got folks. But, we might as well start dealing with some realities this off season.

Reactions: 7 people
At risk of becoming an online casualty. Like the few who didn't tow the hyped expectations the pre-Sunseri(2012) and pre-UpgradedStaff(2017) years. I have a feeling based on a few factors that this is going to be an ugly year defensively. Would love to be totally wrong.

#1 Switching 4-3 -> 3-4 personnel is historically bad in yr 1. It takes time to convert schemes. Yr 1Remember when UGA pulled the bandaid 5-6 years ago with top talent in house. Remember the Sal experiment and the pre-season hype preceding it?

#2 If Pruitt is really making the 3-4 base D swap, then he is wisely doing it NOW and not later. 2017 is a "write off" season in a rebuild. He won't be fired except in extreme circumstances. Safe jobs are the places to tinker. Not when you're not fully secure. Phil and Dooley precede him with this example.

#3 We sucked bad in 2017. So, it's not like CJP is taking elite talent and asking them to switch. He's taking an SEC bottom dweller and making the switch. A bad defense that lost it's best player to early exit.

#4 SEC offenses seem to be in a "waxing" stage at the moment. After a few dismal / mediocre QB crops, the SEC is now going to be loaded with several elite QBs. That won't help matters each week.

That's all the sunshine I've got folks. But, we might as well start dealing with some realities this off season.
We wouldn't be switching from 43 to 34 wee would be switching from 42 base to 34 which is a much much bigger change. Basically everyone in the front 7 would be learning a new position. We are also missing the biggest thing needed for a 34 a proven NT and depth behind him.

I think the chances we go full on base 34 this year are nil. We don't have the linebackers for it or a proven NT. Its all about size. Another thing that worries me is that CJP mentioned us having maybe 75-77 scholarship players this year meaning more transfers are coming and I feel like its most likely gonna happen on the defensive side. Last I looked we were at 82 so that's a scary thought.

Would be great to get to a bowl game for the extra practice and an emotional boost for everyone.
With a loss to W.Virginia, we will need to find 3 SEC wins.
Of course, only two if we could somehow beat WVU.

The two things that concerned me most by next years opponents was that WVU and Mizzous QBs decided to come back for the 18 season.

I doubt either get much time.
Phillips is too small to play DE in this scheme and not sure he fits an OLB. Just hasn't shown the work ethic.

Kongbo is apparently trying to get to 250 so he can play OLB. Sure.

LOL Kongbo at 250lbs.....riiiighhht.

VN Store

Back