UT Coaches-How to Analyze?

Johnnyreb#VFL

Work like heck
Most of you on here are much more knowledgeable than me about football overall. I know some and played a little, but don’t really understand the ins and outs of coaches/coaching/and consistent winning. So here’s the question that I’m sure will lead to some good conversation. Looking forward to reading.

At what point to you draw the line between being a loyal supporter and realizing the coach just doesn’t have it?

I’ll admit I didn’t see the warning signs with Butch. He recruited well and had us top 15 for a couple of seasons. Finally beat Florida. I didn’t realize he wasn’t the guy until after the 2017 Georgia game. A lot of you knew it WAY before then.

Some of you are already saying you see it in Pruitt, either that he’s got it or he’s not the one. I personally think we finally have the first good football coach we’ve had since Fulmer and he will lead us to prominence again.

A lot of you knew it was time to move on from Fulmer, some still think he should have been given some more years to right the ship.

So how do you know? What do you look for? I know once you lose the locker room, you’re done, but I’m talking about what do you look for before that happens? Subtle hints? Warning signs?

We have a good coach. this is his first head coaching job and he will takes some bumps and learn more of what to do and not do. He hasn’t had a quality qb yet so it’s going slower than we would hope. We, as fans, thought the o line was unstoppable at the start of the season and are now overreacting because they got whipped last weekend. UGA is a national championship team unless their qb gets in the way.

Pruitt is holding his own in recruiting against the big boys and will do better as the years go on and we win more. Butch was know to get these mystery 4 star players that had offers from only us and Toledo. Later we found out he spent more time talking to recruiting services trying to get His commits a higher evaluation Instead of actually brining in good recruit.

I try not to trash JG because he seems to be a stand up guy but Pruitt wont Fully succeed until we force a defense to cover the whole field.

Nobody knows. It may be slower than we want but I think Pruitt will end up being a good coach. I believe some of the things he says are managing personalities rather than what he really thinks. He coaches pretty aggressively and has played plenty of freshman - no reason to think he won’t replace someone if he has a choice.

I believe we have a good coach. My question is how less talented teams are able to score in rhythm as well as players have great stats. When we play no matter the opponent it's seems to be a struggle. Even the Missouri game we had several 4th downs we needed to convert. Whatever it is they need to make changes. I'm really at the point now where I believe another qb should play. Something has to change.

Every coach is different. So if you’re an outsider looking in you see how the team as a whole responds to him. Pruitt IS a good coach and defensively they’re responding. They’re not quite Bama or UGA yet but You can see it on the field.

However that’s just half the team.

The side of the ball that scores the points isn’t responding. They haven’t for three years now. They appear flat, uninspired and lethargic. Some say it’s the qb while others say it’s the o line. Bottom line is no matter what it is it’s the coach.

When something is broken on a team that team is only as strong as it’s weakest link. It’s the coaches job to diagnose the weak link and repair it.

Overall Pruitt average at this point imo.

“Good” coaches don’t win SEC Championships very often. Or National Championships.

It happens now and then, but your coach needs to be “Good-Plus” to “Great” to have a legit shot on a routine basis.

Reactions: whodeycin85
Time will tell. Pruitt has made one massive mistake. And that’s not ever fully moving on from JG. It’s bizarre. Everyone can see what Jg is. I don’t know if we have a qb on the roster that’s a great player. And neither does Pruitt. Because what they do in practice doesn’t matter. It’s can they execute and live speed when the bright lights are on. If Pruitt doesn’t move on he’s going to slowly start to lose the team and fan base. His entire legacy is being written by one poor decision he stubbornly won’t move on from

Last edited:
If he's confident in keeping JG in for this season, he needs a notch on the belt against Bama or UF, or at least a combo win against A&M and Auburn. Forget Kentucky, Vandy, Ark, whatever. We have crossed this threshold.

Butch got UGA twice and UF once during his time on Rocky Top by year 3 and 4.
UGA's only gotten better and we still can't seem to even catch UF on a bad year.

I really want Pruitt to get one of the quality wins so we can quit talking about how he's doing compared to Butch.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
This is a great question and the reality is you really can’t get an answer, just an opinion. Some people “realized” Butch wasn’t good early, but I think a lot of it is fools good. Some folks got lucky and honestly I’m sure were able to realize it sooner than others, but anyone telling you they know Pruitt is going to be a great coach or not is like someone calling a stock pick. Sure everyone might talk about that stock pick they nailed, or that they bet that one game and it was so obvious, but more often than not they’re wrong and if they weren’t, they’d be filthy rich.

So all I can offer you is one man’s opinion. I will admit that I bought into Butch a bit longer than some did, and I think it’s directly reflected in me being a loyal Vol fan and “wanting“ success. That said, and certainly in hindsight, I think there were some warning signs with Butch. 1) He nor his staff seemed to recruit with a significant purpose in mind, but rather just on highly rated players. Further, he seemed to focus more on skill players. 2) He seemed to not take ownership of the program and rather was uber defensive and sensitive if there was ever negativity. I think that was a sign that he was a bit of a chameleon, a yes-man, and did not hold himself or others around him accountable. There was never self-reflection and looking to improve, but rather defensiveness and looking excuse. We saw some of that leak out but a lot of us didn’t want to believe it.

As to Pruitt, several things stand out to me that demonstrate that I think he’s an incredibly good football coach and make me hopeful that we’ll have some long term success. While there are many more, here are just 2-3 in depth reasons, in no particular order:

1) He definitely recruits with a purpose. He wants big linemen on both sides, he wants big backs, he wants big DBs, etc. Everyone wants big and fast, but I think if Pruitt has to sacrifice one vs the other, he‘s going to take the big, athletic, but not as fast guy Vs the super athletic fast, but not so big guy. It’s a line of scrimmage league (or at least it was) and we’ve seen Stoops turn UK around this way and Pittman already at Arkansas has them looking up. Sat was a perfect example. Many folks are so angry that we lost so their hot take talks about JG being a terrible QB, but while there were mistakes at QB for sure, their front 7 manhandled our Oline/RBs all game long and that’s where the game was lost. Pruitt knows this, knew it before the game and knows it after, and he’s prioritizing that appropriately and has been since he took over this team. Regardless of how bad our lines played on Sat (and I think our O line is much better than what happened, and honestly our D line play wasn’t so bad), we have improved mightily on both sides of the ball here since Pruitt took over. This might not make him a winner, but not prioritizing it will definitely make one a loser in this league (see Butch and Dooley). Fulmer was a master at this, among many other things. Even though the game has changed, dominate the lines and all other things become easier and can mask mistakes.

2) He’s accountable. We got our arse handed to us in the second half (and really the first half too at UGA, it’s just the scoreboard didn’t reflect it due to 1 UGA gift of 7 points and then Kirby being a huge dumbass and going for it on 4th and short on their side of field...we were clearly outmatched so that’s a perfect play for an underdog, but he darn near gifted us 14 points in the first half). Anyway, why did UGA win...they just have better players, particularly their D line vs our O line. But while Pruitt called out our players a bit here and there, he owned up to it being on the coaching staff a lot. Which while it’s honorable, there’s only so much a staff can do when outclassed physically like we were. But he still made a point to say even if we had a great call, and the players didn’t execute, then that’s on them as a staff b/c they’re responsible for it. What that tells me is he’s genuine and he’s players are almost exclusively going to have a guy’s back that talks like that. It won’t guarantee wins, but it’ll guarantee mostly getting max effort out of players. It’s easy to see why he’s so good on the recruiting trail.

3) Nothing further, your honor. Actually, I have one more thing which will eventually lead to a point. I will just again speak about our QB play, because I see so much hand-wringing about Pruitt being stubborn or something with JG. First off, we’ll have to agree to disagree that putting anyone at QB behind our line on Sat was going to end up in disaster, but let’s even just concede and say that we lost because of JG (which is ludicrous by the way). If there is any criticism one wants to make about Pruitt, being conservative or scared of something or too stubborn to do something has to be one of the most ill-informed opinions out there. The guy has gone for it on 4th down inside his own 50 too many times to count (I think he did this right off the bat in the UGA game). He calls onsides kicks more than many of our last several coaches combined. He freaking benched JG half of last year for Pete’s sake. If JG is playing, it’s clearly because Pruitt rightly feels JG gives us the best chance to win regardless of what any frustrated Vol fan wants to tell themselves about an on the road loss to #3. JG is a good QB who has definitely improved over his tenure year, but he’s certainly still mistake prone. “We” put him in some terrible positions on Sat and several times he crumbled under the pressure, but the law of averages make that not a surprise nor would anyone back there on our current roster likely make a difference. I will say that while this is a LOS league, it’s no secret that the QB is the most valuable player on a football team. Poor play there will offset a lot of other good just like elite QB play can mask a lot of bad. So that said, Pruitt is using who he thinks is best right now, and my suspicion is that likely won’t change over the next several weeks. In a year with no spring ball, limited fall camp, tons of players out, etc., it should surprise no one that our best option is our most experienced guy. Maybe after the bye week they’ll feel differently once Shrout and/or HB have been given some more reps. Or alternatively, maybe after UGA and Bama are off the schedule, JG will continue to lead us to W’s as our Oline play better protects and we‘re more balanced with a more respectable run game.

Either way, and here’s my point #3, what I know for certain is if any head coach of the Vols started changing the QB ”just because what else have we got to lose” or b/c a bunch of fans/media started pressuring him to do so, then I’d chalk that guy up to not going to be a very successful head coach. Pruitt seems like he’s got the personality that he’s gonna do what he thinks is the right thing to do, to hell with the fans and anyone else & right or wrong, that’s exactly what you want in a coach. I’d guess Jones was the complete opposite of that way, perseverating about how this is gonna look or how people are gonna react to that. Hell Coach Pruitt doesn’t even speak with correct grammar.

I don’t think anyone can necessarily say Pruitt is gonna win here, but I’d say odds are more in his favor based on our trend so far, and I certainly don’t see lots of warning signs like with some of our previous regimes. Look at who has been dominating this league recently. Saban, Smart, etc. not the Mike Leach, Butch Jones types. I’m gonna bet the over at this point still, as I like where we’re headed, but I don’t think we’ll truly know with confidence for another year or so. I really think win or lose, this year is kind of a wash. So flukey with opt-outs, contact traces limitations, practice limitations, etc. it’s going to be somewhat hard to just look at W/Ls for most teams this year and truly trend their trajectory. My looong 2 cents...

This is a great question and the reality is you really can’t get an answer, just an opinion. Some people “realized” Butch wasn’t good early, but I think a lot of it is fools good. Some folks got lucky and honestly I’m sure were able to realize it sooner than others, but anyone telling you they know Pruitt is going to be a great coach or not is like someone calling a stock pick. Sure everyone might talk about that stock pick they nailed, or that they bet that one game and it was so obvious, but more often than not they’re wrong and if they weren’t, they’d be filthy rich.

So all I can offer you is one man’s opinion. I will admit that I bought into Butch a bit longer than some did, and I think it’s directly reflected in me being a loyal Vol fan and “wanting“ success. That said, and certainly in hindsight, I think there were some warning signs with Butch. 1) He nor his staff seemed to recruit with a significant purpose in mind, but rather just on highly rated players. Further, he seemed to focus more on skill players. 2) He seemed to not take ownership of the program and rather was uber defensive and sensitive if there was ever negativity. I think that was a sign that he was a bit of a chameleon, a yes-man, and did not hold himself or others around him accountable. There was never self-reflection and looking to improve, but rather defensiveness and looking excuse. We saw some of that leak out but a lot of us didn’t want to believe it.

As to Pruitt, several things stand out to me that demonstrate that I think he’s an incredibly good football coach and make me hopeful that we’ll have some long term success. While there are many more, here are just 2-3 in depth reasons, in no particular order:

1) He definitely recruits with a purpose. He wants big linemen on both sides, he wants big backs, he wants big DBs, etc. Everyone wants big and fast, but I think if Pruitt has to sacrifice one vs the other, he‘s going to take the big, athletic, but not as fast guy Vs the super athletic fast, but not so big guy. It’s a line of scrimmage league (or at least it was) and we’ve seen Stoops turn UK around this way and Pittman already at Arkansas has them looking up. Sat was a perfect example. Many folks are so angry that we lost so their hot take talks about JG being a terrible QB, but while there were mistakes at QB for sure, their front 7 manhandled our Oline/RBs all game long and that’s where the game was lost. Pruitt knows this, knew it before the game and knows it after, and he’s prioritizing that appropriately and has been since he took over this team. Regardless of how bad our lines played on Sat (and I think our O line is much better than what happened, and honestly our D line play wasn’t so bad), we have improved mightily on both sides of the ball here since Pruitt took over. This might not make him a winner, but not prioritizing it will definitely make one a loser in this league (see Butch and Dooley). Fulmer was a master at this, among many other things. Even though the game has changed, dominate the lines and all other things become easier and can mask mistakes.

2) He’s accountable. We got our arse handed to us in the second half (and really the first half too at UGA, it’s just the scoreboard didn’t reflect it due to 1 UGA gift of 7 points and then Kirby being a huge dumbass and going for it on 4th and short on their side of field...we were clearly outmatched so that’s a perfect play for an underdog, but he darn near gifted us 14 points in the first half). Anyway, why did UGA win...they just have better players, particularly their D line vs our O line. But while Pruitt called out our players a bit here and there, he owned up to it being on the coaching staff a lot. Which while it’s honorable, there’s only so much a staff can do when outclassed physically like we were. But he still made a point to say even if we had a great call, and the players didn’t execute, then that’s on them as a staff b/c they’re responsible for it. What that tells me is he’s genuine and he’s players are almost exclusively going to have a guy’s back that talks like that. It won’t guarantee wins, but it’ll guarantee mostly getting max effort out of players. It’s easy to see why he’s so good on the recruiting trail.

3) Nothing further, your honor. Actually, I have one more thing which will eventually lead to a point. I will just again speak about our QB play, because I see so much hand-wringing about Pruitt being stubborn or something with JG. First off, we’ll have to agree to disagree that putting anyone at QB behind our line on Sat was going to end up in disaster, but let’s even just concede and say that we lost because of JG (which is ludicrous by the way). If there is any criticism one wants to make about Pruitt, being conservative or scared of something or too stubborn to do something has to be one of the most ill-informed opinions out there. The guy has gone for it on 4th down inside his own 50 too many times to count (I think he did this right off the bat in the UGA game). He calls onsides kicks more than many of our last several coaches combined. He freaking benched JG half of last year for Pete’s sake. If JG is playing, it’s clearly because Pruitt rightly feels JG gives us the best chance to win regardless of what any frustrated Vol fan wants to tell themselves about an on the road loss to #3. JG is a good QB who has definitely improved over his tenure year, but he’s certainly still mistake prone. “We” put him in some terrible positions on Sat and several times he crumbled under the pressure, but the law of averages make that not a surprise nor would anyone back there on our current roster likely make a difference. I will say that while this is a LOS league, it’s no secret that the QB is the most valuable player on a football team. Poor play there will offset a lot of other good just like elite QB play can mask a lot of bad. So that said, Pruitt is using who he thinks is best right now, and my suspicion is that likely won’t change over the next several weeks. In a year with no spring ball, limited fall camp, tons of players out, etc., it should surprise no one that our best option is our most experienced guy. Maybe after the bye week they’ll feel differently once Shrout and/or HB have been given some more reps. Or alternatively, maybe after UGA and Bama are off the schedule, JG will continue to lead us to W’s as our Oline play better protects and we‘re more balanced with a more respectable run game.

Either way, and here’s my point #3, what I know for certain is if any head coach of the Vols started changing the QB ”just because what else have we got to lose” or b/c a bunch of fans/media started pressuring him to do so, then I’d chalk that guy up to not going to be a very successful head coach. Pruitt seems like he’s got the personality that he’s gonna do what he thinks is the right thing to do, to hell with the fans and anyone else & right or wrong, that’s exactly what you want in a coach. I’d guess Jones was the complete opposite of that way, perseverating about how this is gonna look or how people are gonna react to that. Hell Coach Pruitt doesn’t even speak with correct grammar.

I don’t think anyone can necessarily say Pruitt is gonna win here, but I’d say odds are more in his favor based on our trend so far, and I certainly don’t see lots of warning signs like with some of our previous regimes. Look at who has been dominating this league recently. Saban, Smart, etc. not the Mike Leach, Butch Jones types. I’m gonna bet the over at this point still, as I like where we’re headed, but I don’t think we’ll truly know with confidence for another year or so. I really think win or lose, this year is kind of a wash. So flukey with opt-outs, contact traces limitations, practice limitations, etc. it’s going to be somewhat hard to just look at W/Ls for most teams this year and truly trend their trajectory. My looong 2 cents...

Very good! The only thing I can say is way too long for most of us on this site. I will chalk it up to the question being asked. I expect you have noticed "one liners" do better in the acknowledgment dept. than this really well thought out and presented post.

Reactions: Johnnyreb#VFL
I think Pruitt gets 5-6 years regardless of record. It seems as though he is on the Dabo path. It took Dabo about 4-5 years to really break through. He accumulated solid depth everywhere for a few years. Once he got the game-breaking QB, he never looked back. I'm hoping HB or Salter will be that guy to kick it into high gear for us.

Most of you on here are much more knowledgeable than me about football overall. I know some and played a little, but don’t really understand the ins and outs of coaches/coaching/and consistent winning. So here’s the question that I’m sure will lead to some good conversation. Looking forward to reading.

At what point to you draw the line between being a loyal supporter and realizing the coach just doesn’t have it?

I’ll admit I didn’t see the warning signs with Butch. He recruited well and had us top 15 for a couple of seasons. Finally beat Florida. I didn’t realize he wasn’t the guy until after the 2017 Georgia game. A lot of you knew it WAY before then.

Some of you are already saying you see it in Pruitt, either that he’s got it or he’s not the one. I personally think we finally have the first good football coach we’ve had since Fulmer and he will lead us to prominence again.

A lot of you knew it was time to move on from Fulmer, some still think he should have been given some more years to right the ship.

So how do you know? What do you look for? I know once you lose the locker room, you’re done, but I’m talking about what do you look for before that happens? Subtle hints? Warning signs?

I like Pruitt for a lot of reasons. He is recruiting well and to his system. We have seen noticeable improvements. We beat an SC team that played Florida hard and is clearly much better than the bottom of the barrel. We just destroyed a Missouri team that beat LSU. We played away at Georgia hard and well for most of a game noone expected us to win.

I don’t know if he will get us BACK to an NC. Something isn’t clicking on offense. Seems to be the OL. Chaney is paid way too much to not be able to address/adjust. Pruitt doesn’t know enough about offense to say what is what. That is why he hired Chaney. I do think Chaney has issues with the OL, because he lit them up when he first came on board and that crap will roll down hill to Friend. So, look for a personnel change there if we do not fix that as soon as the next game.

Regardless, if we continue to improve, we will compete for the SEC East some seasons. He will have earned his keep by doing that and gotten our program back to a place we can build on. I certainly hope he does it. Of course I want it for me, our fans and our players, but also for Pruitt. I like the guy. He may not be the best public speaker, but he is a man of class and character.

He has done a good job so far. I am going to focus on this next game. This next game will be more telling than the Georgia game. We are currently second in the East. That is not a bad place to be after three games and a lot of football ahead of us.

Georgia most likely will take 1st this year. We thought that would be the case coming into the season. So, noone should be that upset right now. Their toughest remaining games are Florida and Bama. I don’t see them losing both and they would have to in order to relinquish 1st to us.

Other than Georgia. Florida plays noone else this year that is very good before our game. If they lose to Georgia the same weekend we play Bama and most likely lose and each team wins out, we will be playing for second at the end of the year. Considering 4 of 6 of our toughest remaining games are at home, and we have a bye week after the Bama game it is doable. If we do it, we will be a vast improvement—especially if we win that game and secure second in the East. First, we have to get through Kentucky.

Essentially, I think our record is the best indicator of how you judge a coach. Let’s see how it unfolds!

Not every rebuild is the same it depends on the roster left to you in which the roster Coach P inherited lost to Vandy 2 straight years and of course 3rd straight with Coach P Second is discipline and strength program in which Tennessee was at rock bottom status. The problem is this is Tennessee so patience is not tolerated by many. So for Tennessee the rebuild is baby steps if you want to do it the right way taking shortcuts for wins early only get you in trouble later. Coach P has not been perfect in all his decisions he is new at this but no coach is. Let the season play out recruiting play out and see were we are heading into next year. This was always going to be a 5 year rebuild back to challenging for Championships. " In CHRIST Alone"

Reactions: Beagle Bill

Pruitt is a good coach. He knows and understands the game. He can teach the fundamentals. He manages players well to the extent UT has not had extraordinary injuries or attrition like they did under Jones.

But honestly I am drifting from being somewhat confident that he is "the guy" to being more on the fence due to his handling of the QB position. He has to recognize JG's limitations. I HOPE he has at least one out of the three whose ceiling is much higher than JG's. So why hold that guy back?

There's good stubborn and bad stubborn... and sometimes it comes together. I do not understand his stubborn refusal not to move on from JG. I know there are costs due to inexperience. But the costs of JG's limitations seem higher.

A few of the expert reasons some on here want Pruitt fired or don't think he will succeed.

He is an AL guy and will jump to the Tide as soon as Saban leaves so why did we hire him in the first place.
He is not a big name coach.
He has never been a HC before.
He is not playing the right players they think he should be.
We lost a game badly to the #3 team in the country. (I agree we should have been better than that)
He speaks bad grammar.

Its all just in fun guys.

This is kind of the ultimate question for fans who think they should win a championship every year. I was born in Kingsport, so I've seen a lot of this behavior over the years since Bill Battle. All the coaches have been widely hated, even the ones who won national championships. Ultimately, nobody knows anything. At least I don't particularly attribute any particular genius to the predictors of football. You can say "Oh I knew Johnny Majors was no good" but the truth is, nobody really knew that. After a man's dead, it's safe to say how many championships he won.

Now, if you think the team should win 8 games a year, you don't really have all this discussion.

Real simple to judge in cfb, it is how you recruit, especially qb, o line, d line. Look around the conference what has been constant, teams that recruit those positions well win. Occasionally, you get the flash in the pan win without having them all covered but you can‘t consistently win. You will know if jp is the guy when the classes are top 5 for multiple years. AU might be the exception when they had Cam, he was that good.

I differentiate between types of support. I might have positive, negative, or neutral views about any particular coach, but ultimately I consider myself a supporter of the program and not any particular coach. I want the coach, no matter who the person is or whether I like them or not, to be successful because if they're successful then the program is successful.

You mentioned Butch...for example, I personally gave up on Butch after the 2016 South Carolina game. I thought I had enough information at that point to have an opinion that he wasn't going to be able to take the program to where everyone wanted it to be. Now, I hoped that I was wrong in my assessment, and I wasn't rooting for him to fail or anything like that, but I just had a personal opinion at that point that he wasn't going to get it done.

People like to compare Pruitt and Smart, but it really is not a fair comparison. Yes, both first time HC, both former Saban assistants. However, I don't think anyone would say that they took over programs that were on equal footing. Smart went into an already talent rich program, our cupboard was pretty bare, especially as far as depth was concerned. Smart has recruited very very well, Pruitt has done well too, but not on Smart's level. Smart has a deep talent pool in his state, Pruitt does not. Smart has landed better QB recruits and this is where the talent gap really shows up. I think when Pruitt gets a really good QB, we will be seeing the wins accumulate. What I think we all want to see is our coaching staff getting the most out of every player every game. I don't think that is happening yet.

Most of the time if the coach is going to do great things at a school he has things turned around by year three. Pruitt is showing signs of that but right now his glaring weakness is QB recruiting/coaching. That will absolutely kill your career. It's also very concerning that he opened two seasons in a row looking completely unprepared to play. That was a bit better vs South Carolina this year, ironically when he had less prep time than normal.

VN Store

Back