USC to hire Kingsburry

Kliff's offenses at Texas Tech weren't bad at all.

Maybe they're hiring him for his offensive prowess.

Edit: Here are his offensive rankings nationally while at Texas Tech. Not bad at all.

1546996496832.png

Obviously none of us can get hired. But how do some of these coaches get job after job after being fired? It has to be more than networking. Someone please explain this to me.
He was fired bc his defenses blow. He doesn’t have to recruit or coach for it now. These NFL teams want these offenses in the NFL now that they see them working. Have a strong DC and strong GM and he may do well.

You talk about failing forward. Who goes to their alma mater, gets fired and then gets a pretty decent NFL job? I get it’s Lubbock, but come on. There have been successful coaches there. Kingbury gets an NFL head coaching job and Leach ends up in Pullman? GTFO.

Reactions: k-town_king
You talk about failing forward. Who goes to their alma mater, gets fired and then gets a pretty decent NFL job? I get it’s Lubbock, but come on. There have been successful coaches there. Kingbury gets an NFL head coaching job and Leach ends up in Pullman? GTFO.

I guess they want his offense.

Kingsbury is right place, right time. Apparently every team is looking for offensively innovative Hollister models to coach their team.

Reactions: k-town_king
Yea. And he was my top choice with Freeze.

But talk about failing up.

Can't run a college team as HC and gets a pro gig. Can't make this stuff up.

Reactions: CA_Vol
Yea. And he was my top choice with Freeze.

But talk about failing up.

Can't run a college team as HC and gets a pro gig. Can't make this stuff up.
He should give half his salary to Sean McVay. The only reason he’s getting the job is because the NFL is a copycat league and Kingsbury looks the same.

He should give half his salary to Sean McVay. The only reason he’s getting the job is because the NFL is a copycat league and Kingsbury looks the same.

Agreed. Everyone is looking for the next McVay.

Reactions: CA_Vol
And that’s why the Arizona Cardinals will go nowhere. Never did anything great at Texas Tech other than ride the coattails of Pat Mahomes. If you can’t cut it in the Big 12 why would you be able to do anything with grown men in the NFL that will have no respect for you? Horrible hire by a horrible franchise.

Yeah it’s pretty crazy. Butch did a better job here in the sec than Kingsbury did in the Big 12. Yet butch is a goat and has to take a job as an intern while Kliff gets an NFL HC gig
All great points, but Coach Bro is associated with Manziel, Mayfield, and Mahomes. He's also young, runs high powered/dynamic offenses, reminds people of Sean McVay (looks and all). It's a copycat league.

I am surprised he got a look as a HC though. OC would have made more sense.

Thank the good lord almighty that we did not hire him as our OC! What a media circus it would have been had he agreed to be our OC and then leave us before coaching an offensive snap for the NFL! Makes me wonder if Phil and Pruitt knew this was a possibility?
Hadn't thought about that, but you're right - that would've been the most Tennessee thing ever.

USC deserved that ................ after the little kiffy deal.

Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kingsbury is following the early Kiffin model of falling upward.

I fully expect a spectacular flameout for Kingsbury in the NFL within 2 years.

I don't think we ever considered him. Not really the type of offense Pruitt wants to run.

I was a bit surprised by how quickly he took the USC position, though; thought he would sit back for a year and see if a better opportunity came along rather than jumping at the first job that came along. And it turns out, something better did come along.

I don't think I'd want to be USC's OC right now; Helton is on the hot seat and used Tee as a scapegoat. That wouldn't make me very comfortable as an OC.

All great points, but Coach Bro is associated with Manziel, Mayfield, and Mahomes. He's also young, runs high powered/dynamic offenses, reminds people of Sean McVay (looks and all). It's a copycat league.

I am surprised he got a look as a HC though. OC would have made more sense.
I agree. OC makes sense not HC

VN Store

Back