USC East

MikeHamiltonFan

In Prater, the Trojans not only grab one of the top prospects in the entire nation, but a player who will graduate in December in time to report to campus for spring football.

The very same decision was made just a year earlier by the nation's top signal caller, and now the Trojans starting quarterback, freshman Matt Barkley. The naming of Barkley put on display the opportunities available for a true freshman to come in and contribute immediately, exciting Prater.

This is from the ESPN story on his commitment.

How much do you want to bet when Bryce Brown, Nu'Keese, Teague, Oku etc. all contribute we will be viewed the same way. Not many places can promise and delivery early playing time to top recruits, we can.

Hughes getting lots of action even at the expense of snaps to a senior should help with Uko and we graduate most of our DE talent after this year, which Powell, Ego etc will be made well aware of.

Overall though, who buys that if Luc sees FSU have a crap season and UT defense looking like a stacked secondary but LBs who he surpassed athletically when he was a sophomore in HS, he will be very interested in taking over the MLB while learning from Monte?

Why is this thread titled USC East? I see no mention of South Carolina.

We are the University of Tennessee.

I want USC to be known as "Tennessee West"

If we can recruit nationally like USC and even take a couple of their CA guys, we will be a powerhouse program again. Unlike USC we play in a conference with foes, so we will have some losses in years when we would have dominated the Pac 10, but we will be back to where we belong, a top 10 program each year in talent and wins and attendance and bowl money.

I want USC to be known as "Tennessee West"

Maybe that would happen if Pete Carroll takes an NFL gig and USC hires Ed O to run their show.

If Jim Chaney is as successful here as he was at Purdue, I would like to see him get a head coaching job somewhere. If he wants to be a head coach that is. Eddie Gran should also be taken into consideration just because of the man he is. He even has that head coach look.

I don't see the problem with being known as USC East, just so long as it means we perform as well as they have since Pete Carroll took over.

All in good time. It will take at least three years for us to seriously compete for an SEC championship. Pete Carrol and staff were succesfull very early for several reason. I will attempt to show why it will take Kiffin and company quite a bit longer to be succesfull than it did USC. Here are the comparisons of USC when it began its rise to success vs. Tennessee's current situation and eventually rise to success.

USC - Pete Carrol had many NFL ties
Vols - Kiffin and company have many NFL ties

USC - Pete Carrol ran a NFL style offense
Vols - Kiffin will run an NFL syle offense

USC - USC had hit rock bottom and the fan base was ready to allow the new coach plenty of time to turn around the program. (I know my wifes family are USC grads and football freaks)

Vols - Vols have hit rock bottom and the fan base is fickle and probably wont give Lane enough time to turn things around.

Here are the reasons that it will take patience (and a lot of it) for Tennessee to become as successfull as the Trojans.

USC - Plays in a weak conference that allows for one team to become more dominant than others.

Vols - Toughest conference in the nation with extremely well coached and talented teams (Florida, Alabama, LSU, Georgia etc. etc.)

USC - If it wins its (weak) conference no matter what its record it will be in a BCS game (Rose Bowl) unless it is the Rose Bowls turn to host the NC game.

Tennessee - Must be at least runner up in SEC chamionship game to be in a BCS game (for the most part)

There are more but this is the BIGGY

USC - Califorinia is a huge state with TONS and TONS of tallented players within a short distance of USC.

Vols - Much less talent in state must recruit out of state kids to compete. This is extremely difficult to do when the kids that are talented and want to stay close to home are just as close to or closer to Alabama, Florida, LSU, Georgia and the rest of the big time SEC teams as you are.

I LOVE Tennessee. I honestly believe that Tennessee can and will be as good or better than USC if we allow coach Kiffin the time that he needs to make it happen. As far as Tennessee being USC East .... its not gonna happen tommorow.

This thread had BETTER be about south carolina!..usc east!?..you ought to be taken out back and whipped!!

This thread had BETTER be about south carolina!..usc east!?..you ought to be taken out back and whipped!!

Do you follow this program? Lane Kiffin compared us to USC.

We have multiple coaches who were at the school.

We treat the practices in many of the same ways that they do.

Most importantly we are recruiting top players and saying that they have the chance to play as freshman which is something that has worked very well for Pete Carroll. We also tell the starters that they do not have a safe position and must work hard to maintain that position just like Pete Carroll.

We do not pay our players like they did with Reggie Bush, and we have much less local talent to choose from, but we can take the best of USC and bring it to Knoxville and Kiffin has talked about doing just that.

Reading comprehension seems to be challenging for many of the posters on this site. It is sad...Did you go to UT? I did and your reading skills remind me of a guy I sometimes tutored, Travis Henry.

I don't see the problem with being known as USC East, just so long as it means we perform as well as they have since Pete Carroll took over.

So what you are saying is that you don't mind being USC's little brother. Dumbest post ever.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Most importantly we are recruiting top players and saying that they have the chance to play as freshman which is something that has worked very well for Pete Carroll. We also tell the starters that they do not have a safe position and must work hard to maintain that position just like Pete Carroll.

We do not pay our players like they did with Reggie Bush, and we have much less local talent to choose from, but we can take the best of USC and bring it to Knoxville and Kiffin has talked about doing just that.

Reading comprehension seems to be challenging for many of the posters on this site. It is sad...Did you go to UT? I did and your reading skills remind me of a guy I sometimes tutored, Travis Henry.

Thats funny dude .... education SMACK DOWN :crazy:

If you are going to worship usc, maybe you should consider becoming a usc fan..this is VOLNATION! don't come in here talking that garbage. oh, and great job with travis henry! :good!:

VN Store

Back