Urban Meyer

talent wins far more often. well coached talent wins almost every time.

THe gap in talent from Tenn to UF is not enough of a divide to not be made up with experience. To say that Tenn will NEVER have a team with more experience than UF, or even NEVER get really really lucky, is just silly. Meyer isn't jesus. He can't control the uncontrolable.

It was a joke.

However, Saban did call Sawtelle, an O-lineman already enrolled, at the beginning of the semester.

Lots of rumors floating around that Meyer has dirt on his hands when it comes to recruiting. Nothing I can verify but there are some things.

Irresponsible comment. What dirt, who says it, witnesses, documentation? People should not repeat such innuendo (which is probably coming from some whiny UT fan at a bar saying he must cheat because he gets such great talent) and next thing you know its posted here, and then gets repeated, and on and on.

Very weak. I am surprised you would do that.

Fulmer's likely to coach against Meyer in Gainesville only a couple more times anyway. By then he will either have won another SEC championship and retired on top, or else been given his gold watch and pushed into retirement.

THe gap in talent from Tenn to UF is not enough of a divide to not be made up with experience. To say that Tenn will NEVER have a team with more experience than UF, or even NEVER get really really lucky, is just silly. Meyer isn't jesus. He can't control the uncontrolable.
i didn't say jack about UT v UF. I simply responded to your naked assertion. I think UT will beat UF, regardless of the man at the helm, because talent cycles and lady luck often determines outcomes. That said, I'd take talent over experience all day long.

I'd take talent as well. Experience comes with time. If you are equating experience with Skill, then Skill can obviously be coached to a certain extent. Talent, though...either you have it or you dont.

Fulmer has a losing record against Meyer, Richt, Spurrier, Saban, and Tubberville in the SEC and he's 1-1 against Miles at LSU. There are only 12 teams in the SEC thats close to half the coaching staffs in the league.

To put it in perspective, their are only 6 teams/coaches in the SEC that Fulmer has a winning record against: Ole Miss, Miss St, Kentucky, Arkansas and Vandy.

That tells a pretty clear story to me.

It would be interesting to know what Fulmer's record was against the then-SEC coaches up through the 2001 season. It sure seems like we've been wandering through the wilderness while everybody else has been getting better.

I think a good argument can be made that the turning point of Fulmer's career was when Georgia hired Mark Richt. The golden path seemed open to Tennessee when Spurrier left Florida, but instead of us filling the gap it turned out to be Georgia instead.

Irresponsible comment. What dirt, who says it, witnesses, documentation? People should not repeat such innuendo (which is probably coming from some whiny UT fan at a bar saying he must cheat because he gets such great talent) and next thing you know its posted here, and then gets repeated, and on and on.

Very weak. I am surprised you would do that.

I was not aware I worked at a established media outlet where people will take me as serious. If I had said it on ESPN, then you might have an arguement.

The dirt hm let's see he said himself he pushes the rules when it comes to recruiting. The constant texting he does to recruits is not against the rules yet. But when you push rules and pry players that are already committed to other schools away from them, the coaches will line up to turn you in to the NCAA. I've heard whispers from players and coaches about illegal tactics. I would not be suprised in the next 5-6 years their are allegations going against Meyer for dirty recruiting tactics. That's just my opinion however.

LG got his panties in a wad didnt he? I'll never understand how a fan of another team makes the decision to hang out here, then take umbrage with any slight on his team

LG got his panties in a wad didnt he? I'll never understand how a fan of another team makes the decision to hang out here, then take umbrage with any slight on his team

He's always been level headed about things. Maybe he got upset because what I said is true?

He's always been level headed about things. Maybe he got upset because what I said is true?

It doesn't surprise me that Meyer gets great recruiting classes. The freaking campus is in Florida, where 5 star players grow on trees. They have a big fan base. Most importantly, they're winning. Also Urban is supposedly a workaholic that is constantly recruiting.

I'd be much more curious as to how Ed Orgeron manages to bring big time recruits into the craphole that is Ole Miss.

It doesn't surprise me that Meyer gets great recruiting classes. The freaking campus is in Florida, where 5 star players grow on trees. They have a big fan base. Most importantly, they're winning. Also Urban is supposedly a workaholic that is constantly recruiting.

I'd be much more curious as to how Ed Orgeron manages to bring big time recruits into the craphole that is Ole Miss.

Zook's doing it in Champagne.

Orgeron has the grove.:p

It's easy to get into Ole Miss. Many of those hotties that go to school there are girls that couldn't get into Texas, Tenn, Ala, UGA, or Florida. Some football players are dumb. Therefore these recruits fall for such statements as:

"We are going to win the SEC next year"

"Our current QB is effective. You are the missing link."

"You'll start your freshman year."

"I'm drunk, want a beer?"

Ironicaly Urban Meyer's spread option When ran with his type of QB (Tebow) will not last long in the SEC IMO. The talent he has on defense will make them formidable but my prediction is in two years his type of offense (the way he ran it at Utah) will be exposed and teams that play against it year in and year out in the SEC will start to stop it. He will end up getting a QB or two hurt and in 2010 they will be 7 and 5. Just my prediction:dunno:

I was not aware I worked at a established media outlet where people will take me as serious. If I had said it on ESPN, then you might have an arguement.

The dirt hm let's see he said himself he pushes the rules when it comes to recruiting. The constant texting he does to recruits is not against the rules yet. But when you push rules and pry players that are already committed to other schools away from them, the coaches will line up to turn you in to the NCAA. I've heard whispers from players and coaches about illegal tactics. I would not be suprised in the next 5-6 years their are allegations going against Meyer for dirty recruiting tactics. That's just my opinion however.

I have heard nothing of this before now. Seriously, this is the first time that anyone has ever even hinted at it to me. And if all you have to go on right now is that he texts recruits, okay, I see the quality of the indictment right there.

Fulmer's likely to coach against Meyer in Gainesville only a couple more times anyway. By then he will either have won another SEC championship and retired on top, or else been given his gold watch and pushed into retirement.

Disclaimer: I am not a Vol alum. I am not connected to influential Vol boosters. I do not claim to know more than I just admitted I don't know. (On the other hand, I did get asked to leave Sam & Andy's once...years ago...for being "too drunk", back when that was a new term)

Having said that...

Add up all that we've seen...and heard...from the UT AD the last two or three years...and the message is there: If Phil don't bring home (at least) an SEC title in the next couple of years, AND...a strong showing in a BCS Bowl...I look for Phil to "retire", with honors, or risk being the next "Johnny M".

The REAL question is...who takes the helm?

I believe in ol Phil.....he is the second best coach in the SEC.....UT will beat UF this year as a matter of fact.

I have heard nothing of this before now. Seriously, this is the first time that anyone has ever even hinted at it to me. And if all you have to go on right now is that he texts recruits, okay, I see the quality of the indictment right there.

Read Sports Illustrated.

Ironicaly Urban Meyer's spread option When ran with his type of QB (Tebow) will not last long in the SEC IMO. The talent he has on defense will make them formidable but my prediction is in two years his type of offense (the way he ran it at Utah) will be exposed and teams that play against it year in and year out in the SEC will start to stop it. He will end up getting a QB or two hurt and in 2010 they will be 7 and 5. Just my prediction:dunno:

Who knows? His offense has yet to torch an SEC defense

Who knows? His offense has yet to torch an SEC defense

SEC DC's weren't stupid enough to drop 6 guys into coverage and not bring any heat. It's like OSU said "how can I design a defense so that Florida will have maximum sucess with their offense which is 90% screen passes, draws, and hitches?" edit: and let's make sure not to blitz a qb who is easily rattled!

SEC DC's weren't stupid enough to drop 6 guys into coverage and not bring any heat. It's like OSU said "how can I design a defense so that Florida will have maximum sucess with their offense which is 90% screen passes, draws, and hitches?" edit: and let's make sure not to blitz a qb who is easily rattled!

Ohio State seemed scared to death of the speed on the offensive side of the ball that game while failing to notice that UF had one of the most dominant Dlines in college football that year

Ohio State seemed scared to death of the speed on the offensive side of the ball that game while failing to notice that UF had one of the most dominant Dlines in college football that year

yeah they backed off their receivers. really really stupid.

I'm not so sure. The Vols with that team they had last year lost by 1 point to the Gators who ended up winnin it all. Matter of fact the Vols had a chance to win that game and and muffed it, so yeah they're beatable.

VN Store

Back