(Updated 7/13) 2021 MLB Draft and Roster Management Discussion Thread

Does anyone have a D1 Baseball subscription that can update us on Kendall's list of the top transfers?

Agreed. The Rays farm system is very strong and known for pitcher development. I think he will do great there. In fact, when I looked last week the Rays affiliates were in first place in every division by far from rookie ball through AAA. That’s impressive.

They are a very impressive organization, made more so for the fact they have a very unimpressive fan base.

Reactions: JarFly
Yes. All three of our transfers are on their list:

#11: Seth Halvorsen
#37. Matt McCormick
#54. Chase Dollander

need confirmation but McCormick may be MIA. Dollander may end up being a top 10 on the transfer list when it's said and done...........but D1 Baseball hates us.

Reactions: txbo
need confirmation but McCormick may be MIA. Dollander may end up being a top 10 on the transfer list when it's said and done...........but D1 Baseball hates us.

McCormick may be MIA? Yikes.

Excited to see both Halvorsen and Dollander with our pitching staff.

What's the deal with McCormick?

I was getting excited about having that bat in the lineup.

He’s gone. I’ll miss him too.

Disappointing news for sure. I was looking forward to seeing him with the team. Wonder where this leaves us with the catcher position. Charlie Taylor, Ryan Miller, and who else? 🤔

Last edited:
Disappointing news for sure. I was looking forward to seeing him with the team. Wonder where this leaves us with the catcher position. Charlie Taylor, Ryan Miller, and who else?

Andrew Kribbs and Nathan Smith would be freshmen catchers, if CTV isn’t convinced on Taylor or Miller he might look at the portal. I like Taylor. Didn’t get to see Miller this summer.

Reactions: TN_gal
Andrew Kribbs and Nathan Smith would be freshmen catchers, if CTV isn’t convinced on Taylor or Miller he might look at the portal. I like Taylor. Didn’t get to see Miller this summer.

Thanks, 66. 👍🏽 Good to know that we have Kribbs and Smith. I remember Taylor had a strong session of summer ball, so I’m curious to see if he will carry that into fall ball. I don’t know much about Miller. Can teams add players from the portal this late?

Reactions: vol66
Thanks, 66. 👍🏽 Good to know that we have Kribbs and Smith. I remember Taylor had a strong session of summer ball, so I’m curious to see if he will carry that into fall ball. I don’t know much about Miller. Can teams add players from the portal this late?

Not sure gal…somebody here will know I reckon…JUCO is another route and that’s not something PG counts in recruiting classes, so that could happen as well.

GBO!!!

Reactions: TN_gal

Didn't Tayler have a pretty good summer at bat?

Didn't Tayler have a pretty good summer at bat?

He did! Now, it was the Cali league, so it is what it is as far as projecting. I did get to watch him a few times via stream and in those games he did well, and Booker was on that team too. My expectations for Booker were very high, I didn’t know what to expect from Charlie, but I was surprised by him, picked off some guys…the stamina was not tested as they carried 3-4 catchers and they all played, so, it’s hard to say.

Reactions: txbo and TN_gal
I think, which is always dangerous, that preacher said Miller moved on. Not sure about that, but that is my recollection from summer ball in the coastal plains.

Summer Ball Update #3: 18 Vols Wrap Up Summer Play - University of Tennessee Athletics

Miller doesn’t get a mention and he was on the Forest City Owls with Kirby, so…🤷‍♂️
AFAIK Ryan Miller is still with the program. I saw him and a pitcher a couple of weeks ago and we talked. He did play for the Owls this summer. He enrolled early at UT, so I’m speculating that’s why he wasn’t on the school’s spring roster. Reed Metz moved to another program.
And I have no idea why Kirby’s full stats from this summer weren’t posted by UT.

Reactions: TN_gal and vol66
AFAIK Ryan Miller is still with the program. I saw him and a pitcher a couple of weeks ago and we talked. He did play for the Owls this summer. He enrolled early at UT, so I’m speculating that’s why he wasn’t on the school’s spring roster. Reed Metz moved to another program.
And I have no idea why Kirby’s full stats from this summer weren’t posted by UT.

Thanks man, as I said, me thinking is a dangerous thing. 😂

Reactions: @1RBFjr
I don’t know if he’s presently playing.

Ben McKee confirmed the update on McCormick last night in the Monday night VQ chat. Said that he heard McCormick decided to step away from baseball.

He also mentioned that Evan was catching in practice and Charlie Taylor on the fall roster.

Ben mentioning Evan sparked a memory. About a month ago, right before the fall semester started, CV had an interview on The Drive (Fox Sports Knoxville). He mentioned Evan had taken up catching in practice, that they felt comfortable with Charlie Taylor, and that Nathan Smith was a talented freshman coming in. He didn't mention McCormick. He also said that ideally they would like to play 2-3 guys at that position, and overall, the lineup likely wouldn't be settled until April or May.

If interested, here's the link to CV's interview on The Drive: The Drive Hr 3 8.12.21 (Talks about roster 25:46-27:21)

I guess we'll know more once fall ball officially starts. On a related note, I'm gathering info, links and articles for a 2021 fall ball thread. I'll post it sometime today and link back to this thread.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back