(Updated 7/13) 2021 MLB Draft and Roster Management Discussion Thread

Do we have any Intel at all about Leath and if he's leaning one way or the other?
CTV mentioned on the radio a few weeks back something about the physical may derail the whole process. He didn’t elude to much but if you speculate a little his hamstring may be an issue for Leath signing or at least signing at a number that makes sense to opt out of college

Would’ve been over the moon if he decided to play for the Vols instead of taking the money and playing for the Nats. However, he said when he was drafted that he would sign with the Nats. As @TheMookieMonster said, if the Vols keep winning, it may be easier for Coach V to convince these elite signees to turn down the big money and play for the Vols. Getting Burns to campus was big and someone to build around.

House was never coming. And even if TV wins big in Knoxville, they’re not going to convince someone who is a top 10 pick to go to college. No one does. It’s unreasonable to think that will happen.

House was never coming. And even if TV wins big in Knoxville, they’re not going to convince someone who is a top 10 pick to go to college. No one does. It’s unreasonable to think that will happen.

Yeah, I was more referring to those Round 2-4 type guys. Those are the ones you have to keep.

Yeah, I was more referring to those Round 2-4 type guys. Those are the ones you have to keep.

*nods* I realize now that Mookie was referring to Spikes and Round 2-4 talent rather than a top ten pick. It would be shocking for someone to shun millions of dollars. (Has any top 10 first round pick turned down big money to go to school?)

Hopefully, we do start keeping more Round 2-4 talent. NIL may help in that regard.

Edited to add:

Helpful recap of off-season changes from RTI’s Ryan Schumpert.

Last edited:
*nods* I realize now that Mookie was referring to Spikes and Round 2-4 talent rather than a top ten pick. It would be shocking for someone to shun millions of dollars. (Has any top 10 player turned down big money to go to school?)

Hopefully, we do start keeping more Round 2-4 talent. NIL may help in that regard.

Top 10 overall or a Top 10 round pick? Dylan Crews from LSU would have been close last year, but he told the teams ahead of time he wasn't signing so they didn't draft him. With the teams losing that draft slot $$ for the first 10 rounds if they don't sign the draftee, they usually have a pretty good idea they can sign them if drafted in rounds 1-10. They may take a flyer on one of them in later rounds. At least that's my understanding of the draft process, I'm sure it's probably a tad more complicated than that.

Reactions: TN_gal
*nods* I realize now that Mookie was referring to Spikes and Round 2-4 talent rather than a top ten pick. It would be shocking for someone to shun millions of dollars. (Has any top 10 player turned down big money to go to school?)

Edited to add:

Helpful recap of off-season changes from RTI’s Ryan Schumpert.

Schumpert mentions Stephonson coming. Is Logan Chambers still coming?

Top 10 overall or a Top 10 round pick? Dylan Crews from LSU would have been close last year, but he told the teams ahead of time he wasn't signing so they didn't draft him. With the teams losing that draft slot $$ for the first 10 rounds if they don't sign the draftee, they usually have a pretty good idea they can sign them if drafted in rounds 1-10. They may take a flyer on one of them in later rounds. At least that's my understanding of the draft process, I'm sure it's probably a tad more complicated than that.

Thanks for the insight and info! 👊🏽 Great to learn more about the draft process. This draft was the first time I closely followed along. I meant to say top 10 first round pick (will go back and edit my post).

Last edited:
Christian Moore is coming right?

Yes, he is.

Schumpert mentions Stephonson coming. Is Logan Chambers still coming?

Yes, he is. I asked Ryan and this is what he said: “Chambers will make it to campus and I do not expect anymore turnover though you never say never.”

Right. But if a guy is ACTUALLY DRAFTED that high, he’s not going to college. Because the MLB team drafted him knowing they could sign him. In fact, the point you make further reinforces the notion that if a kid is drafted top 10, he’s going pro.

Last edited:
Big get on Moore. Someone mentioned a while back Moore would accept any deal to turn pro due to classroom trouble.

Was that speculation or is there any truth to that?

Big get on Moore. Someone mentioned a while back Moore would accept any deal to turn pro due to classroom trouble.

Was that speculation or is there any truth to that?

Not sure. During the draft, I read that he was intent on turning pro, but there was no reason why. This is the first I’ve read about classroom trouble.

VN Store

Back