(Updated 7/13) 2021 MLB Draft and Roster Management Discussion Thread

Totally off subject but UT signed a shortstop in 2020 named Alec Gonzalez that didn't come to UT. I found a guy named Alec Gonzalez at Pensacola State juco is this the same guy? Anybody know why he didn't come here? I figured some of you guys would know because you guys know UT baseball like I know the back of my hand.

Totally off subject but UT signed a shortstop in 2020 named Alec Gonzalez that didn't come to UT. I found a guy named Alec Gonzalez at Pensacola State juco is this the same guy? Anybody know why he didn't come here? I figured some of you guys would know because you guys know UT baseball like I know the back of my hand.

He said something about the food in the athletic dorm being sub-par. We were all shocked.

Is Round 12 good enough for him that he'll leave? I know he loses a lot of leverage by returning to school, but I think he's good enough that he could improve his draft position.

I have the feeling Leath is ready to move on. He graduated with his degree in the spring. In an interview with Wilkerson prior to Omaha, he said he was glad to be finished with school. It also sounded like he was focused on rehab and turning pro.

Is Round 12 good enough for him that he'll leave? I know he loses a lot of leverage by returning to school, but I think he's good enough that he could improve his draft position.

I think he is likely gone, but the slot value of a 12th Round pick is pretty low. I think if he pitched a complete year healthy then he could easily be a Round 4-8 draft pick even with lower leverage. I hope he returns, but I'm not confident he does.

I have the feeling Leath is ready to move on. He graduated with his degree in the spring. In an interview with Wilkerson prior to Omaha, he said he was glad to be finished with school. It also sounded like he was focused on rehab and turning pro.

Can definitely understand that and you'd have to think that the serious injury he sustained will factor into his decision.

Can definitely understand that and you'd have to think that the serious injury he sustained will factor into his decision.

Yes, agreed about the serious injury being a factor. It's something to take into consideration....Would it be worth the risk to return.

I hope that he has a complete recovery and can stay healthy. He's a talented pitcher.

Reactions: Volprofch05
Yeah - my guess is since he was drafted that he probably let teams know he was ready to move on.

Reactions: TN_gal
Rangers swinging for the fences here taking Will Taylor - 20th overall ranked prospect. Just one of those situations I mentioned yesterday where they're content wasting a pick to just try and build the relationship for the future.

Seth Halvorsen just got drafted here in the 19th round too - by the Phillies. Doubt he will sign here.

Edit: And by here - I mean with the Phillies. Would hope Tony V and crew have a plan that can get him drafted higher to make more than 100K next year.

Last edited:
Reactions: TN_gal
So would I. At this point, I think it'd benefit them both to show up on campus.

What is the rule for HS players who aren't drafted? Would they be considered Free Agents if they wanted to sign with a club instead of pursuing college options?

Also, not sure of his particular fandom, but he is from Texas. Being selected by the Rangers may be special to him, too. He’s going to have to earn his money as there is little to be had in the 12th round.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back