(Updated 7/13) 2021 MLB Draft and Roster Management Discussion Thread

TN_gal

With the MLB draft on deck this weekend, I thought it might be helpful to gather together a list of resources and links with regards to Tennessee baseball's 2021 recruiting class, draft-eligible players on Tennessee's current roster, transfers, and articles about next year's roster.

The 2021 MLB Draft begins is Sunday, July 11th at 7PM EDT (ESPN, MLB Network) and ends Tuesday, July 13th. There are 20 rounds in this year's draft.

Sunday, July, 11: (starting at 7PM EDT) ESPN / MLB Network : Round 1 and the compensatory picks
Monday, July 12: (starting at 1PM EDT) MLB.com: Rounds 2-10
Tuesday, July 13: (starting at 12PM EDT) MLB.com: Rounds 11-20

MLB Draft Tracker Twitter account

2021 Tennessee Baseball Commit List (Perfect Game - Sorted by 2021, D1 College: Tennessee)

Brady House SS 6-3 210 R-R Winder-Barrow Winder GA Tennessee - (Picked #11, Round 1 to the Washington Nationals)
Chase Burns RHP 6-4 215 R-R Beech Senior Gallatin TN Tennessee (Headed to campus, Tennessee baseball) (Picked #610, Round 20 to the San Diego Padres)
Ryan Spikes SS 5-9 185 R-R Parkview Lilburn GA Tennessee (Picked #100, Round 3 to the Tampa Bay Rays)
Christian Moore SS 6-1 200 R-R Suffield Academy Brooklyn NY Tennessee
Grant Cherry RHP 6-3 205 R-R Vestavia Hills Vestavia Hills ALTennessee
Kruise Newman RHP6-3 198 L-R Logan County Richmond, KY Tennessee
Drew Beam RHP 6-4 200 R-R Blackman Murfreesboro TN Tennessee
James McCracken LHP 6-3 200 R-L Middle TN Christian Murfreesboro TN Tennessee
Blake Burke 1B 6-3 235 L-L De La Salle Brentwood CA Tennessee
Kavares Tears OF 6-0 203 L-L Columbia Academy Lewisburg TN Tennessee
Sam Bassett-Kennedy LHP 6-7 180 L-L Pioneer Ann Arbor MI Tennessee
Gavin Brasosky LHP 6-1 185 L-L Portage Central Kalamazoo MI Tennessee
Wyatt Evans LHP 6-6 222 L-L J L Mann Greenville SC Tennessee
Gerald (Cross) Jumper OF 6-3 210 R-R Jonesboro Jonesboro AR Tennessee
Logan Kimberlin RHP 6-3 180 R-R Eagleville Rockvale TN Tennessee
Andrew Kribbs C 6-1 190 R-R CAK Knoxville TN Tennessee
Ryan Miller C 6-3 200 L-R Dublin Jerome Dublin OH Tennessee
Angus Pence SS 6-1 185 R-R Farragut Knoxville TN Tennessee
Nathan Smith C 6-1 205 R-R Buford Buford GA Tennessee
Fletcher Whitley LHP 6-5 220 L-L Saline Hixson TN Tennessee
Kaleb Meredith LHP 6-0 180 L-L University High Chuckey TN Tennessee
Noah Connelly SS 5-9 155 S-R Ketchikan Ketchikan AK Tennessee

Current discussion thread on Ryan Spikes

2021 JUCO baseball commitments to Tennessee

Current Tennessee Baseball players selected in the 2021 MLB Draft (UPDATED 7/13)
(

D1 Baseball articles on Tennessee's recruiting class and draft - eligible prospects: (subscription needed)

Examining At-Risk Recruiting Classes Heading Into 2021 Draft
Quick Notes Heading Into The 2021 MLB Draft

Go Vols 247 article(s) about the 2021 MLB Draft

Vols players, signees to watch for in 2021 MLB Draft

Rocky Top Insider article about the 2021 MLB Draft

Tennessee Baseball Players, Commits To Watch For In MLB Draft

Draft-Eligible Prospects on Tennessee's Roster, Transfers, and '21 Tennessee Baseball Commits in D1 Baseball's College 150:

Interviews:
  • Coach V on The Tony Basilio Show (7/9/2021)

• Coach V on WNML's Sports Talk with John and Jimmy (7/9/2021)

Great series of articles (outfield, infield, pitching) from VQ's Ben McKee on the status of next season's roster:

Transfers to Tennessee:

College Baseball - Transfer Portal Tracker Thread

Please feel free to share and post any additional articles or resources you come across, and I'll try to keep this thread updated.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
Reactions: StarRaider
Ok, I like your thread better! Post here and I’ll get rid of mine
So glad that I found this forum a few months ago. Just great info being shared and a lot of knowledgeable baseball fans. This diehard baseball fan is so glad to have finally discovered how awesome college baseball is. It’s displaced MLB as my first love! 😀

With the MLB draft on deck this weekend, I thought it might be helpful to gather together a list of resources and links with regards to Tennessee baseball's 2021 recruiting class, draft-eligible players on Tennessee's current roster, transfers, and articles about next year's roster.

The 2021 MLB Draft begins this Sunday, July 11th and ends Tuesday, July 13th. There are 20 rounds in this year's draft.

2021 Tennessee Baseball Commit List (Perfect Game - Sorted by 2021, D1 College: Tennessee)

Brady House SS 6-3 210 R-R Winder-Barrow Winder GA Tennessee
Chase Burns RHP 6-4 215 R-R Beech Senior Gallatin TN Tennessee
Ryan Spikes SS 5-9 185 R-R Parkview Lilburn GA Tennessee
Christian Moore SS 6-1 200 R-R Suffield Academy Brooklyn NY Tennessee
Grant Cherry RHP 6-3 205 R-R Vestavia Hills Vestavia Hills ALTennessee
Kruise Newman RHP6-3 198 L-R Logan County Richmond, KY Tennessee
Drew Beam RHP 6-4 200 R-R Blackman Murfreesboro TN Tennessee
James McCracken LHP 6-3 200 R-L Middle TN Christian Murfreesboro TN Tennessee
Blake Burke 1B 6-3 235 L-L De La Salle Brentwood CA Tennessee
Kavares Tears OF 6-0 203 L-L Columbia Academy Lewisburg TN Tennessee
Sam Bassett-Kennedy LHP 6-7 180 L-L Pioneer Ann Arbor MI Tennessee
Gavin Brasosky LHP 6-1 185 L-L Portage Central Kalamazoo MI Tennessee
Wyatt Evans LHP 6-6 222 L-L J L Mann Greenville SC Tennessee
Gerald (Cross) Jumper OF 6-3 210 R-R Jonesboro Jonesboro AR Tennessee
Logan Kimberlin RHP 6-3 180 R-R Eagleville Rockvale TN Tennessee
Andrew Kribbs C 6-1 190 R-R CAK Knoxville TN Tennessee
Ryan Miller C 6-3 200 L-R Dublin Jerome Dublin OH Tennessee
Angus Pence SS 6-1 185 R-R Farragut Knoxville TN Tennessee
Nathan Smith C 6-1 205 R-R Buford Buford GA Tennessee
Fletcher Whitley LHP 6-5 220 L-L Saline Hixson TN Tennessee
Kaleb Meredith LHP 6-0 180 L-L University High Chuckey TN Tennessee
Noah Connelly SS 5-9 155 S-R Ketchikan Ketchikan AK Tennessee

Current discussion thread on Ryan Spikes

2021 JUCO baseball commitments to Tennessee

• Logan Chambers INF Crowder College

• Dayton Dooney 2B Central Arizona College

• Seth Stephenson INF Temple College

D1 Baseball articles on Tennessee's recruiting class and draft - eligible prospects: (subscription needed)

Examining At-Risk Recruiting Classes Heading Into 2021 Draft
Quick Notes Heading Into The 2021 MLB Draft

Go Vols 247 article(s) about the 2021 MLB Draft

Vols players, signees to watch for in 2021 MLB Draft

Draft-Eligible Prospects on Tennessee's Roster, Transfers, and '21 Tennessee Baseball Commits in D1 Baseball's College 150:

Interviews:
  • Coach V on The Tony Basilio Show (7/9/2021)

• Coach V on WNML's Sports Talk with John and Jimmy (7/9/2021)

Great series of articles (outfield, infield, pitching) from VQ's Ben McKee on the status of next season's roster:

Transfers to Tennessee:

College Baseball - Transfer Portal Tracker Thread

Please feel free to share and post any additional articles or resources you come across, and I'll try to keep this thread updated.

Thanks everyone!

25 ish guys in the que - we had 3 when I came and I think 3 or 4 the following year. Quite the contrast.

So glad that I found this forum a few months ago. Just great info being shared and a lot of knowledgeable baseball fans. This diehard baseball fan is so glad to have finally discovered how awesome college baseball is. It’s displaced MLB as my first love! 😀

Ditto, ditto, ditto, ditto, and ditto.

Ben McKee of VQ saying that as of now he expects Burns to make it to campus
That would be huge!
We could potentially have 2 series bookend flamethrowers on the mound. Blade on Friday and Burns to close out the sweeps on Sunday!😎
What kind of heat does Halvorsen throw? I feel like I read that he hits mid 90’s?? Do you guys think he could slide into the Saturday role?
GBO!!

@TN_gal you are overloading my brain with Tennessee baseball knowledge...I love it! All of you guys(and gals😉) over here in the baseball neck of the woods are top notch!
GBO!!

Glad to overwhelm your brain in a good way, @cobbwebb0710 ! 😀 Seriously, I’m happy to gather resources and info in a centralized place for fellow fans. It’s much easier this way rather than hunting all over the interwebs. I also figure that it’s better to be prepared ahead of time.

I echo what you said about this community. Happy to have found y’all top notch folks!

That would be huge!
We could potentially have 2 series bookend flamethrowers on the mound. Blade on Friday and Burns to close out the sweeps on Sunday!😎
What kind of heat does Halvorsen throw? I feel like I read that he hits mid 90’s?? Do you guys think he could slide into the Saturday role?
GBO!!
Halvorsen brings heat but the numbers say he doesn’t have a lot control at this point. Sewell could be an option for Saturday starter too.

IMO, I think Burns is the most important recruit to keep. Guys with that velo are a dime a dozen and you can never have enough pitching. I’d love to see Spikes and Moore on campus but if you told me I could only pick one right now I would say give me Burns. We need depth.

Yep, with Tony as coach @TN_gal is going to be very busy gathering all of this fantastic information!

We’ve come a long way in a short time with Coach V as Tennessee baseball’s skipper. I’m here for all the information gathering. Bring it on! 👍🏽

Getting Burns to remain on campus would be a huge win. The makeup of our pitching staff and bullpen next season is what I find the most intriguing. With Blade, Burns, and (potentially) Camden, Seth H. ,Kirby…that’s a great mix of arms. Will Ben Joyce be recovered from his injury? If we get Chase Dollander as a transfer commit, he will be a great addition. I’m also curious about Elijah, Mark, and Jason.

Last edited:
Have we heard any more chatter about the transfer catcher from Kentucky? That could be a big get as well. Of course I’m guessing he would need time to build chemistry with our pitching staff but his bat could pay off immediately.
GBO!!

Reactions: BigDave
Have we heard any more chatter about the transfer catcher from Kentucky? That could be a big get as well. Of course I’m guessing he would need time to build chemistry with our pitching staff but his bat could pay off immediately.
GBO!!

Nothing more so far. Ben continues to hear we’re in good shape with Kessler. Agreed that he would be great for both our pitching staff and in the lineup.

Halvorsen brings heat but the numbers say he doesn’t have a lot control at this point. Sewell could be an option for Saturday starter too.
I have faith in Frank Anderson, especially with the young guys. What year is Halvorsen, a Sr? I think Sewell will be a key piece of the puzzle this season and I also think Kirby takes the next step this year.
GBO!!

VN Store

Back