(Untitled) Star Wars game teased by Ubisoft!

Brave Volunteer

3d-printable-star-wars-logo-01.jpg

Today, LUCASFILM GAMES announced that it’s entering a partnership with Ubisoft to create an open-world Star Wars game. The title will be developed by Ubisoft’s Massive Entertainment, marking the first time that a company outside of EA has produced a Star Wars game since Disney acquired Lucasfilm in 2012, ending nearly eight years of exclusivity. Also in the works is a new Indiana Jones game, to be developed by Bethesda Game Studios, a newcomer to Lucasfilm’s and Disney’s properties.

Let’s start with Star Wars. Development on this new title is still very early—Massive is still recruiting for the project even—so details are sparse. Julian Gerighty, director of The Division 2 and The Crew, will serve as the game’s creative director, and the title will use Massive’s Snowdrop engine. Beyond that, Lucasfilm Games hasn’t revealed anything about the characters or settings within the Star Wars universe that the game will feature.

This has the potential to be amazing. Massive Entertainment's track record is pretty good. They worked on AC: Revelations and Far Cry 3 (best of the series IMO), and both of the Division games. Question to me is...will it be a full-on RPG like KOTOR/modern AC games or more RPG-lite like RDR2? Either way works.

This generation is also a prime opportunity to finally make an open-world Tolkien RPG. Especially with the Lord of the Rings TV series being in production and likely to be a big hit.

Anyone worried that since it is the team that's made Division it will be a looter shooter/game as service?

Honestly, Star Wars may be the IP that finally gets me into that genre.

Reactions: tweezervol
basically my initial thoughts as well. Outside of a choice few games in the Far Cry series, they’ve ruined everything they’ve ever touched. Story is nothing more than a glorified fetch quest and tower conquering for almost every title they produce

Ubisoft isn't that bad. Most of the AC games range from excellent (2, Brotherhood, Black Flag, Origins) to solid (Revelations, Unity post patches, Odyssey).

I think that the Star Wars license actually makes it possible for even an Odyssey-style bloatfest to be pretty good, simply due to the novelty of exploring that world.

It mostly depends on which team is handling it. Ubisoft is huge, and their "A" team (generally Ubisoft Montreal) has a pretty good track record.

Anyone worried that since it is the team that's made Division it will be a looter shooter/game as service?

Honestly, Star Wars may be the IP that finally gets me into that genre.
I played Division 1 about as much as any game I've played as an adult, so I'd be all over this one...even if it did take a year of updates to become a great experience.

This has the potential to be amazing. Massive Entertainment's track record is pretty good. They worked on AC: Revelations and Far Cry 3 (best of the series IMO), and both of the Division games. Question to me is...will it be a full-on RPG like KOTOR/modern AC games or more RPG-lite like RDR2? Either way works.

This generation is also a prime opportunity to finally make an open-world Tolkien RPG. Especially with the Lord of the Rings TV series being in production and likely to be a big hit.

Do you even LotRO, bro?

Not perfect but I’m much more optimistic about Ubisoft than EA making something worth playing.

Lol I do not. It would be interesting to see a developer tackle a AAA-caliber MMORPG on this generation of consoles, though!

I'm a huge LotR fan. I'm excited yet scared about what Amazon is doing with their LotR show (they better not turn it into a Game of Thrones type show). A LotR MMORPG could be done, but then what era? So many good choices.

Reactions: Aesius

VN Store

Back