University of Colorado unretires 3 numbers after requests from recruits

If nobody deserves to be remembered then why have them? It’s that simple.

It is entirely possible to immortalize and remember great players and their accomplishments without taking their jersey number out of circulation.

Last edited:
Retiring numbers has always been a silly idea to me. The names are what we honor. Manning wasn't even our most recent QB to wear #16.
What quarterback was dumb enough to wear #16 here? I don’t remember anyone doing that.
Edit:
Never mind : I forgot Rick Clausen. Seriously though, why the hell would any QB want to come in and wear 16?

What quarterback was dumb enough to wear #16 here? I don’t remember anyone doing that.
Edit:
Never mind : I forgot Rick Clausen. Seriously though, why the hell would any QB want to come in and wear 16?

Because they grew up idolizing Peyton Manning?

I get that maybe, but you put that number on at QB there’s a big time standard there.

Trevor Lawrence would have lived up to it.

We’ve had petitions requesting to retire Emmitt’s #22 and Tebow’s #15. I’m against it.

Our boosters were against Spurrier unretiring #11, but he did it anyway, because Spurrier.

Reidel Anthony was an All-American and made #15 famous before Tebow. UF’s first African-American player Willie Jackson, Sr wore #22, as did both of his sons Willie, Jr and Terry who both were major contributors when they played under Spurrier.

I like what Ole Miss does with #38 and LSU with #18. Not a fan of removing numbers from circulation. You can recognize the player’s jersey (and name) in the stadium while another kid wears that same number on the field.

We’ve had petitions requesting to retire Emmitt’s #22 and Tebow’s #15. I’m against it.

Our boosters were against Spurrier unretiring #11, but he did it anyway, because Spurrier.

Reidel Anthony was an All-American and made #15 famous before Tebow. UF’s first African-American player Willie Jackson, Sr wore #22, as did both of his sons Willie, Jr and Terry who both were major contributors when they played under Spurrier.

I like what Ole Miss does with #38 and LSU with #18. Not a fan of removing numbers from circulation. You can recognize the player’s jersey (and name) in the stadium while another kid wears that same number on the field.

Trevor Lawrence probably could have in a lot of ways, but I would like to think that he might’ve been persuaded to take 18. I definitely remember #22 Terry Jackson, didn’t like playing against or Reidel Anthony for that matter. I like what LSU does with #7 . If you’re a safety and you’re worthy of the number by the way you play it’s a number of prestige . I’m not sure if it started with Patrick Petersen or not, but I like the number being earned.

Agreed. Retire jerseys not numbers. Why can't 2 greats have the same number?

Reactions: Lawrence Wright
Trevor Lawrence probably could have in a lot of ways, but I would like to think that he might’ve been persuaded to take 18. I definitely remember #22 Terry Jackson, didn’t like playing against or Reidel Anthony for that matter. I like what LSU does with #7 . If you’re a safety and you’re worthy of the number by the way you play it’s a number of prestige . I’m not sure if it started with Patrick Petersen or not, but I like the number being earned.

Good point on LSU and #7.

I think it did start with Patrick Peterson, then Honey Badger and most recently Delpit.

Mullen is doing the same with #1, but I’m not sure if anyone can measure up to Percy.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
Im not a fan of retired numbers. Frankly, I wished Tennessee would have left the 4 retired who died in WWII and be done with it. You can honor numbers and players without retiring them. JMO

Reactions: GoBigOrange_2309

VN Store

Back