Uniform/Helmet/Shoe design thread (merged)

Reference ESPN Recruiting Survey on this board:

For those who don't have espn insider:

They talked with a bunch of highly pursued recruits about experiences in recruiting.

The 4 categories ESPN seemed to focus on were Best Food, Best Facilities, Best campus atmosphere and uniforms.

UT had the best food.

UT was ranked number 2 it seems behind Bama in facilites.

UT was listed in a group of like 7 schools as having a great atmospere led by clemson florida and auburn.

Oregon dominated the uni's and UT wasnt mentioned.
Basically recruits are noticing and talking about whats going on here at UT

Last edited:
You can see that it really does matter if you keep up with things like, "the opening" or the UA all-american game. Kids like to look good. The opening has the top young talent in the nation, see that guy down there??? You know him right? Does he need those gloves attached to his brand new Riddell helmet? NOPE, he is a D-lineman, want to know why they are there? BECAUSE HE LIKES IT!! It is much easier to sell a kid on SWAG than it is on tradition now days. Just swallow the pill and lets get some new unis.

Attachments

• 1344542.jpg
    1344542.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: 2 people
Road uniforms looked better with orange pants, would stay away from all white.

What????

manning-3rd-sat-in-oct-1997.jpg

Stormtrooper is a classic Tennessee look. Currently, I would take the stripes off our pants, but other than that, i liked all of the combos we wore last season.

Some of ya'll are so damn uptight about this stuff. (not talking about poster i quoted)

Reactions: 2 people
I would love to see a new helmet to go with the gray uniforms.

No,I love the regular helmets with the grey. It gives some contrast to the unis and makes the socks and sleeves really pop. Plus, you would be turning into everyone else if you did that, and I'm not saying this because of the whole tradition or afraid of change thing that a lot of ol timers say. I just really like it.

I doubt we will be getting much love from Adidas this year now that we are moving on to Nike.

Everything for this year was already ordered from adidas before the contract was signed. The marketing plans were also in place on their end. There won't be any fall-off this year, as both sides will be closely watching to make sure the contract is fulfilled.

Reactions: 1 person
Sissy Oregon.... hmmmmmm, remind me how many they hung on us last year? Their uniforms are an amazing recruiting tool.

And yet since 2010 their recruiting rankings (according to Rivals) have been 9th, 13th, 16th, 21st, 26th, and 22nd (2015). They're not exactly killing it in recruting.

By comparison, Alabama who NEVER changes their unform, has finished this since 2010...

5th, 1st, 1st, 1st, 1st, and 1st (2015).

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
I thought that I would hate the black uniforms, but when the Vols came out with them in the 2009 South Carolina game, it was truly bad_ass. I like the grey uniforms but would prefer the alternate to be black. JMO :)

I thought that I would hate the black uniforms, but when the Vols came out with them in the 2009 South Carolina game, it was truly bad_ass. I like the grey uniforms but would prefer the alternate to be black. JMO :)

I'm not in favor of black uniforms on a yearly basis but every 6 years when Halloween falls on a Saturday, I think it's a great idea and thematically it makes sense.

I liked the black uniforms and they really gave us an edge to destroy Georgia. I'd like to see the addition of a gray helmet although I don't expect anything this year while we switch Nike.

I liked the black uniforms and they really gave us an edge to destroy Georgia. I'd like to see the addition of a gray helmet although I don't expect anything this year while we switch Nike.

The helmets have nothing to do with Adidas or Nike, so it shouldn't matter one way or the other.

As much as I hate to say this about the Bammers, Nike has done a bang-up job on them and Penn State's unis. Classic and timeless. Perfect for Tennessee.

Reactions: 3 people
Never change the white helmets. Take the "Tennessee" off the front, everyone in the world knows us by the power T and the orange. I do like the outline of the state of TN on the back.

For the away unis, please go back to the black outline on the numbers. It looked so badass

Agreed, keep the helmets the same and remove the "Tennessee" but don't go too thick with the black paint outlining the away unis; that looked awful. See the 2012 UGA game for an example of perfect road uniforms.

The three things that Butch has done wrong since being here.

Tennessee on front of jersey
Smokey grey uni
Losing to Vandy

Besides those he's done a great job.

Reactions: 3 people
The black was super cool, and the grey was alright. If I had to pick one I would say black. The grey is easier to pull off but very bland in my opinion, but the black is intimidating and with hopefully a better season this year, we are going to need a game or two in black. Theme song "Back in Black"
But the helmet should never change, it just has to much history.

Old guy warning:

Please don't mess with the helmets, like them just the way they are.

Anybody wonder why we are called the BIG ORANGE, don't FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF IT UP, don't want to hear to keep up with the times, WE ARE THE BIG ORANGE, not the big grey, just saying, I guess I am getting old.

VN Store

Back