UNC hiring Banghart to replace Hatchell

All of that is true but they coaches in much different conferences....I had looked back previously through both coaches records and I couldn’t find a single top 25 team that Banghart had beaten...I think Harper beat three top 25 teams this season....

Yes, all in the postseason which is the only reason she got this job. Harper gets mad props for a great run this year, but looking over the entirety of her 15 year career this sure looks more like lightning in a bottle than a trend... considering it's her only two NCAA wins ever (and only one more than Banghart where it's much tougher to win). Guess how many ranked teams she beat at Missouri State before this season?

you also have to worry about recruiting with Banghart bc recruiting in the Ivy League is not even close to the Ivy League.

Recruiting is a concern with both of them. The difference is one coach is getting her first chance to recruit at a high level, and the other has already had a chance and failed.

Yes, you have to worry about her failure at N.C. State but she did step into a difficult situation with the former very popular coach in the process of dying and the fan/team favorite being passed over....

I'm aware of the narrative here that Kellie's failure at NC State was everyone's fault but Kellie's. And that's great that she got this Kay Yow award that I've never heard of but looking at past winners (names I guarantee no one here would recognize) it looks like a bone they throw to a mid-major coach who had a good season. The Naismith Coach of the Year award is far more prestigious. That's the one Pat and Geno have won several times along with the McGraws, VanDerveers, Mulkeys, etc. Guess who else has won that one? Bottom line is if you could do a "blind tasters test" putting both their resumes against one another, I'll wager the majority here would take Banghart.... and it would be a landslide.

Yes, all in the postseason which is the only reason she got this job. Harper gets mad props for a great run this year, but looking over the entirety of her 15 year career this sure looks more like lightning in a bottle than a trend... considering it's her only two NCAA wins ever (and only one more than Banghart where it's much tougher to win). Guess how many ranked teams she beat at Missouri State before this season?

Recruiting is a concern with both of them. The difference is one coach is getting her first chance to recruit at a high level, and the other has already had a chance and failed.

I'm aware of the narrative here that Kellie's failure at NC State was everyone's fault but Kellie's. And that's great that she got this Kay Yow award that I've never heard of but looking at past winners (names I guarantee no one here would recognize) it looks like a bone they throw to a mid-major coach who had a good season. The Naismith Coach of the Year award is far more prestigious. That's the one Pat and Geno have won several times along with the McGraws, VanDerveers, Mulkeys, etc. Guess who else has won that one? Bottom line is if you could do a "blind tasters test" putting both their resumes against one another, I'll wager the majority here would take Banghart.... and it would be a landslide.

I wouldn’t if you told me the schools that they coached at.....I don’t think just looking at resumes is the way to go.....I think you make lists of positives and negatives.

1. turned around two programs
2. Recent success.... Huge positive
3. The way she coaches defense....Huge positive
4. Her last team shot way more threes than their opponents
5.good recruiting at last stop
6. Passion and work ethic.... Huge negative

Negatives:
1. Failure to win at power 5 job.... Huge negative
2. Poor recruiting at power 5 job.... Huge negative
3. Lack of conference titles
4. Lack really dominant seasons

Questions
1. Can she hire a quality staff... I really like her hires
2. Can she recruit at this level?
3. Can she organize a quality offense?

If she was able to answer those three questions and had a good plan I would hire her in a heart beat.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
The beauty of this debate is that we have a live field experiment. In a few seasons, it will be clear who had the better hire. In truth, I am betting both schools come out looking pretty good with their respective hiring decisions.

in the world of social media the concept of "debate" is questionable. however UNC politically had to make a safe hire after several exposures, football, academic assistance and now accusations from parents of players, all which impacted the reputation of the academic institution. By safe I don't have an opinion on Banghart's future record.

VN Store

Back