UFC Thread

Looking at the records just makes it even worse... haha

Silva 3-6 in his last 9
Franklin 2-3 in his last 5

That's something alright...

Bed time. See you tomorrow.
you watching tuf Brazil on Sunday nights?

I haven't been.

TUF is the one part of UFC I've never watched too much. Not sure why. I've wanted to get into it but I invest so much time into other TV shows and movies that I've never been able to keep up with it. I never a miss PPV though and I try to watch all of this new Fox, FX, Fuel etc. stuff. So much stuff on top of other sports and shows.

I'll try to get into it this season though. :)

I haven't been.

TUF is the one part of UFC I've never watched too much. Not sure why. I've wanted to get into it but I invest so much time into other TV shows and movies that I've never been able to keep up with it. I never a miss PPV though and I try to watch all of this new Fox, FX, Fuel etc. stuff. So much stuff on top of other sports and shows.

I'll try to get into it this season though. :)

Mostly I just record and watch the fights. Skip the drama.

didn't know where to put it, but excited.

On 7/29, I will be at a seminar with my kids in Nashville at the gym with Flavio Almeida and Marco Joca. Names maybe not familiar to most UFC fans, but stalwarts in BJJ and the Gracie family. Will be pretty cool to see them teach face to face.

Rampage will fight Glover Teixeira at UFC 153 in Brazil, no idea who that guy is.

Rampage will fight Glover Teixeira at UFC 153 in Brazil, no idea who that guy is.
GT's been a beast in Brazil. Him and Alexander Gustafsson are really the only two guys that some think can possibly challenge Jon Jones if Henderson fails.

UFC 152: Dos Sanots vs. Velasquez 2, BJ Penn vs. Rory MacDonald, and now this fight are the only scheduled events for now that I'm really looking forward to.

what up OS? NAGA Atlanta this month. You ought to roll down there with your son and check it out. Kids matches start at 10:30 and are done around 2. Then men's beginner to expert. I thought brown and black belts would be more fun to watch, but they seem to pull guard and the match becomes a speed chess match. However, the beginner and intermediate men's and women's are fun to watch too.

And NAGA Nashville is in November.

what up OS? NAGA Atlanta this month. You ought to roll down there with your son and check it out. Kids matches start at 10:30 and are done around 2. Then men's beginner to expert. I thought brown and black belts would be more fun to watch, but they seem to pull guard and the match becomes a speed chess match. However, the beginner and intermediate men's and women's are fun to watch too.

And NAGA Nashville is in November.
Beginner matches are always entertaining

Just heard that Frank Mir's next fight is going to be in Strikeforce vs. Daniel Cormier, on Sept 29. That's going to be pretty crazy. I hope they promote this fight better than they did the Rockhold vs. Kennedy.

Just heard that Frank Mir's next fight is going to be in Strikeforce vs. Daniel Cormier, on Sept 29. That's going to be pretty crazy. I hope they promote this fight better than they did the Rockhold vs. Kennedy.

So UFC bought Strike Force and they've kept it functional? I don't understand the point of that. I guess you don't want UFC showing 40 PPV's a year but if they're gonna have top fighters flip flopping back and forth, it's a way to sell more PPV's without looking like it's really just the same company even though it is.

I'm surprised they don't just have Cromier vacate the title and come over to the UFC like they have all the other champions. Essentially, Mir would be champion of misfit island? I'm definitely going to watch this fight and I admit I know little about Strike Force but it's obvious that UFC has stacked the deck and transferred all of the top fighters to UFC. Mir winning the title would mean what exactly? It's gotten to the point where Mir can't seem to beat the top fighters with heavy hands(just about every heavyweight) in the UFC unless they're 37 years old.

Just looking at Cromiers track record, I think it will be a good fight because he doesn't win all of his fights by knocking guys out which is where Mir struggles. And in a way, I like the idea of having some UFC fighters over there that I know to keep things interesting. But at the same time, it's like they're telling Mir or any other fighter they decide to send over there that they aren't good enough to be the UFC champion.

I really just view it as a way for them to sell more fights without looking like UFC is trying to pass off 40 a year. And really, I have no problem with that because I love watching fights but I guess I'm kind of a UFC fanboy and I know they have the top fighters. So we should get a good fight between Mir and Cromier but like I said, I already know Mir's not the best so him being the champion over there is kind of like meh.

Last edited:
1) UFC is kind of just waiting for Strikeforce's contract with Showtime to be over. After that they'll either use it to build up potential talent or let it die.
2) Zuffa can't just send Cormier to the UFC because of his contract to have a certain amount of fights with Strikeforce (which is tied to Showtime).
3) Cormier right now is considered by many people to be a top 3 or 5 fighter in the HW division, only behind dos Santos, Velasquez, and some think Overeem or Werdum. So this isn't a step down for Mir whatsoever. Mir wants to fight the best guys in the world, and in this case he just has to go to Strikeforce to do it because of Cormier's contract. If Mir wins this fight he'll be right back in contention for the UFC HW title. I agree that the Strikeforce title means nothing, but being able to fight Cormier after a loss is gigantic.
4) "Misfit island"? It's not like Mir was going to stay in Strikeforce after this fight. Whatever the outcome, he's still going to be in the UFC (unless he later agrees to fight Josh Barnett). While the UFC does have most of the best fighters, Strikeforce still has some very good ones: Luke Rockhold, Tryon Woodley, Josh Thomson, Gilbert Melendez, Barnett, and Cormier are the most well known. Also, Strikeforce has some great potential up-and-coming talent.
5) Just because Mir lost to dos Santos doesn't mean he can't win this fight. Cormier is a freight train in the standup game, but dos Santos is on another level in boxing skill that almost no other fighter in the UFC is on. Mir has shown in the past that he can rebound from loses, and even when he is knocked dizzy can still finish the other guy.

1) UFC is kind of just waiting for Strikeforce's contract with Showtime to be over. After that they'll either use it to build up potential talent or let it die.
2) Zuffa can't just send Cormier to the UFC because of his contract to have a certain amount of fights
with Strikeforce (which is tied to Showtime).

Did not know that. When you look at the rest of the champions with Strike Force it says "released". I assumed since they're owned by the same company that they could release a fighter at anytime and move them over to UFC.

3) Cormier right now is considered by many people to be a top 3 or 5 fighter in the HW division, only behind dos Santos, Velasquez, and some think Overeem or Werdum. So this isn't a step down for Mir whatsoever. Mir wants to fight the best guys in the world, and in this case he just has to go to Strikeforce to do it because of Cormier's contract. If Mir wins this fight he'll be right back in contention for the UFC HW title. I agree that the Strikeforce title means nothing, but being able to fight Cormier after a loss is gigantic.

4) "Misfit island"? It's not like Mir was going to stay in Strikeforce after this fight. Whatever the outcome, he's still going to be in the UFC (unless he later agrees to fight Josh Barnett). While the UFC does have most of the best fighters, Strikeforce still has some very good ones: Luke Rockhold, Tryon Woodley, Josh Thomson, Gilbert Melendez, Barnett, and Cormier are the most well known. Also, Strikeforce has some great potential up-and-coming talent.

Not saying it's a step down. Just that in the last three title fights, Mir has gotten knocked out by Lesnar, Carwin and JDS. Mir's last five wins were against guys that are 36-37 years old. I know people love him and his personality but he seems to be at a crossroad. Is the fight for the title? Because it would be weird if Mir fights one fight, wins the title and then vacates it to cross right back over. I didn't think he'd stay over there but if he wins the title and vacates it after the win to go back the UFC, that's odd.

You obviously keep up with Strike Force more than me because even though I don't watch it, I know the names Cromier and Barnette. The rest.... no clue.

5) Just because Mir lost to dos Santos doesn't mean he can't win this fight. Cormier is a freight train in the standup game, but dos Santos is on another level in boxing skill that almost no other fighter in the UFC is on. Mir has shown in the past that he can rebound from loses, and even when he is knocked dizzy can still finish the other guy.

No doubt. I think Mir probably will win this fight honestly even though I haven't really seen Cromier. I did notice Cromier's ratio of knockouts to submissions though and that should benefit Mir. No doubt Mir is one of the top heavyweight fighters but the guys that aren't completely washed up and pack punches seem to be his downfall.

Sorry if I sounded like a dick in my original post. Was late and had a slight buzz going. I'm definitely interested in seeing this fight. I was just saying it seems like Mir is the fall guy to sell tickets because lots of fans like him as a commentator and he has a following. Every time he gets that title shot though he seems to get worked.

In no way am I down playing that this won't be a good fight. You've get an undefeated fighter in a legit league and Mir one of top heavyweights. I was just surprised to see them send Mir over there is all. I'm not a Mir fan and I don't think he's as good as the top heavyweights in the UFC at the moment but I do know he's good and he's pretty popular compared to lots of fighters.

I just didn't know all of the rules about the comings and goings of fighters between Strike Force and UFC. I knew they had to fight a certain amount of fights with the contracts they signed but I thought they could be released at any given time. Just questioned sending Mir over to Strike Force instead of Cromier over to UFC.

If you haven't watched Cormier fight you should watch his highlights ASAP, I think he'll KO Mir.

Being reported that Rory MacDonald has pulled out against his fight with BJ Penn. I really hope this isn't true. Was really looking forward to this fight, and BJ smashing this guy.

Mixed martial arts fighter and reality show host Jason "Mayhem" Miller was in jail on suspicion of burglary Monday night after deputies responding to reports of a break-in said they found him naked inside a Southern California church.

Miller was being held on $20,000 bail and was scheduled to appear in court Wednesday, Orange County jail records showed.

The pastor at Mission Hills Church in Mission Viejo called authorities when he found evidence of a break-in Monday morning, including books and CDs that were strewn about, white powder on the floors and missing boards from a previously broken window, sheriff's spokesman Jim Amormino said.

Deputies arrived and said they found Miller naked on a couch.

"When they asked him his name he responded, 'Mayhem,'" Amormino told the Orange County Register.

They also found evidence that Miller had set off fire extinguishers inside the church, Amormino said. Miller was coherent and cooperated with authorities as he was arrested.

Odd to say the least.

Chael Sonnen moving to 205, and will fight Forest at the end of the year event. He's also already calling out Bones. (shocker, I know)

Also, the next UFC on FOX card has been announced, and it is STACKED!

On December 8th:

Benson Henderson vs. Nate Diaz (Lightweight Championship)

Shogun Rua vs. Alexander Gustafsson (LHW #1 contender)

Rory MacDonald vs. BJ Penn

VN Store

Back