UCONN Has Awakened A Sleeping Giant

creekdipper

At least, that could be the long term result for the program.

As far as this season goes, this could be the turning point that lights a fire under the competitors and gets them to focus on the fundamentals to make turnovers a rarity. Seeing how an opportunity on the biggest stage on which many had ever played was squandered can be the catalyst for saying the themselves and each other, "This is not acceptable. This is not how we're going to be remembered. We're better than this."

I'd bet that Rennia and Lou have the leadership skills to call a team meeting and issue a challenge to everyone, beginning with themselves. I believe Jazz is also a leader that others look to.

We may not yet have the experience or all the missing pieces to go for championships yet, but we can be the most improved from here on out. And that will get the attention of future players who want to be pushed to excellence.

Kellie has said that the buck stops with her. Now is the time to call on her leaders to set the tone in practice and raise the performance bar. The turnover margin and the resulting outcomes should sting their pride enough to make themselves do whatever is necessary to correct the errors. Setting individual and team goals and then pushing each other to meet those goals is imperative.

When he complimented our team, A may have been being honest or may have wanted to downplay his own team's first-half struggles. Regardless, he is right. We have talent and potential. The coaches and players need to work together to maximize that talent, and then we'll see the improvement everyone wants.

Kellie has to believe in her players, they have to trust her and believe in themselves, and we fans have to rally around and encourage them as best we can. And believe that it will happen and that we'll see a different team in March.

At least, that could be the long term result for the program.

As far as this season goes, this could be the turning point that lights a fire under the competitors and gets them to focus on the fundamentals to make turnovers a rarity. Seeing how an opportunity on the biggest stage on which many had ever played was squandered can be the catalyst for saying the themselves and each other, "This is not acceptable. This is not how we're going to be remembered. We're better than this."

I'd bet that Rennia and Lou have the leadership skills to call a team meeting and issue a challenge to everyone, beginning with themselves. I believe Jazz is also a leader that others look to.

We may not yet have the experience or all the missing pieces to go for championships yet, but we can be the most improved from here on out. And that will get the attention of future players who want to be pushed to excellence.

Kellie has said that the buck stops with her. Now is the time to call on her leaders to set the tone in practice and raise the performance bar. The turnover margin and the resulting outcomes should sting their pride enough to make themselves do whatever is necessary to correct the errors. Setting individual and team goals and then pushing each other to meet those goals is imperative.

When he complimented our team, A may have been being honest or may have wanted to downplay his own team's first-half struggles. Regardless, he is right. We have talent and potential. The coaches and players need to work together to maximize that talent, and then we'll see the improvement everyone wants.

Kellie has to believe in her players, they have to trust her and believe in themselves, and we fans have to rally around and encourage them as best we can. And believe that it will happen and that we'll see a different team in March.
You mean Gino complimented our team????

Reactions: RollerVol
Geno was so gracious and subdued I wondered if it was a doppelganger out there. Teared up during a halftime Pat tribute. Was as complimentary and supportive of our team as he could possibly be. Barely berated his own team during the first half. Chris Daly didn't have to pretend to hold him back a single time. LOL kinda sad, miss the ole mustache twirling egomaniac.

Regarding the turnover problem, I fear we are fooling ourselves with musty dusty ole bromides and cliches. I just don't think any punishments such as extra running, any come to Jesus meetings, nor any effort toward raising player awareness of the effect of giveaways will help much if at all. I'm pretty sure they know all this far more keenly than we could ever imagine. I'm sure just in case they weren't, KJH has reminded them umpteen dozen times.

IMO the turnovers we are making are not intentional nor lazy and uncaring, they're overanxious and unsure. It's not awareness nor desire we lack, it's experience and skill. Of course determination and awareness will help some, but what we need most is not going to happen just because Rennia called a team meeting or someone did their best Pat Summitt imitation.

IF better ball security and decision-making happens its going to be a process, not a magical quick fix. Sometimes, as in the last few painful seasons, it never does get fixed. It just becomes the yips, the here we go agains. Coaches have to negotiate a fine line there.

That's KJH big challenge, especially through this next tough league stretch. She gets the big bucks to figure out how to shepard the process as quickly and effectively as possible. I don't think punishment nor rah rah tactics have much of a part to play in the process. Rather see the time spent teaching, practicing, drilling.

Geno was so gracious and subdued I wondered if it was a doppelganger out there. Teared up during a halftime Pat tribute. Was as complimentary and supportive of our team as he could possibly be. Barely berated his own team during the first half. Chris Daly didn't have to pretend to hold him back a single time. LOL kinda sad, miss the ole mustache twirling egomaniac.

Regarding the turnover problem, I fear we are fooling ourselves with musty dusty ole bromides and cliches. I just don't think any punishments such as extra running, any come to Jesus meetings, nor any effort toward raising player awareness of the effect of giveaways will help much if at all. I'm pretty sure they know all this far more keenly than we could ever imagine. I'm sure just in case they weren't, KJH has reminded them umpteen dozen times.

IMO the turnovers we are making are not intentional nor lazy and uncaring, they're overanxious and unsure. It's not awareness nor desire we lack, it's experience and skill. Of course determination and awareness will help some, but what we need most is not going to happen just because Rennia called a team meeting or someone did their best Pat Summitt imitation.

IF better ball security and decision-making happens its going to be a process, not a magical quick fix. Sometimes, as in the last few painful seasons, it never does get fixed. It just becomes the yips, the here we go agains. Coaches have to negotiate a fine line there.

That's KJH big challenge, especially through this next tough league stretch. She gets the big bucks to figure out how to shepard the process as quickly and effectively as possible. I don't think punishment nor rah rah tactics have much of a part to play in the process. Rather see the time spent teaching, practicing, drilling.

I saw this when looking for our postgame interviews.. Geno very complimentary to our team....and the last few minutes very sincere talking about how he missed Pat and he didn't care about the game, but because of Pat wanted to play this game.

The turnovers seem to be the constant theme. Sometimes things need to change. I was hoping she would pull one of them to make a statement. It seems like every time I listen to her in the press briefings, she says that is a problem. Everyone knows it is a problem, and unless they correct this, I do not see them going very far in the future tournaments.
Where were the towers in the lane all night? The biggest people in the gym, and they had limited impact on scoring. I was saddened to see the beat down in the second half. I had hopeful expectations, and got excited in the first half as did many fans, but second half was tough.

Last night's game attracted more TV viewers than any WCBB game so far this season. The Lady Vols should want to continue to play this game and use the attention as a recruiting tool. Ultimately it comes down to recruiting elite players. KJH needs to bring elite players to Tennessee. Horston is elite but others need to follow.

Horston is elite but others need to follow.
And yet, she's the heart of the t.o. problem. To be fair, she is playing more minutes and being given far more responsibility than she should due to Green's injury.

But we've seen it over and over the last few seasons - "elite", highly-recruited players who are plagued with poor ingame decision making , many for their entire career. There's a teaching and development process that completely eluded the previous staff, sure hope KJH can find the mysterious solution.

He also appeared to get choked up when asked about Pat in his post game presser. 🤔

Reactions: Dube
IMO the reason Geno appeared teary-eyed, complimentary and almost humble is because he’s embarrassed of how he acted regarding the Evina waiver situation. His comments were mean-spirited and asinine. Plus he’s had recent health issues.....sometimes that makes people “nicer”.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand two things:

1) Geno understands he is dealing with a young team and his team is different than past teams. That is why he talks about big wins or moments that he hopes contributes to growth. Make no mistake that he will not accept less than good execution as these players become older. Notice the best player is the more experienced junior PG.

2) UT is a shell of itself. It's not really fun or challenging. In some ways he didn't value the rivalry like he should have and he eluded to it being different. He has to wonder if it will ever come all the way back.

Let's just be real about it. This is my opinion. I think some of the responses are pie in the sky at this point.

I think Harper is probably a better coach than Warlick...she d@mn sure handles a press conference better. It remains to be seen how good of a recruiter she is though. This program needs to recruit above what Warlick was recruiting. I'm not talking just ratings. I'm talking players that know how to play the game and have the ability for it to translate in game.

Last edited:
I enjoy listening to her, and remember her great work as the guard on the teams that won 3 in a row. I respect that, and certainly enjoyed the domination we had back then. I am dismayed that so far this year with several games under their belt, they continue to not get the ball to the towers in the paint, and have patience in their hurling balls to no where land. Look around at the dominant teams and you will not see those high numbers all the time. Instead of talking about it, simply put them on the bench and give someone else a chance. Horston may be the second coming when she arrived, and has some really nice moves on the court, but for every two points she makes, she throws one a way....Sad to watch the ball thrown away over & over, and no discipline. I am now not sure Harper can get us to the next level.

Reactions: mcannon1
I enjoy listening to her, and remember her great work as the guard on the teams that won 3 in a row. I respect that, and certainly enjoyed the domination we had back then. I am dismayed that so far this year with several games under their belt, they continue to not get the ball to the towers in the paint, and have patience in their hurling balls to no where land. Look around at the dominant teams and you will not see those high numbers all the time. Instead of talking about it, simply put them on the bench and give someone else a chance. Horston may be the second coming when she arrived, and has some really nice moves on the court, but for every two points she makes, she throws one a way....Sad to watch the ball thrown away over & over, and no discipline. I am now not sure Harper can get us to the next level.
Read madtownvol's thread on turnovers

IMO the reason Geno appeared teary-eyed, complimentary and almost humble is because he’s embarrassed of how he acted regarding the Evina waiver situation. His comments were mean-spirited and asinine. Plus he’s had recent health issues.....sometimes that makes people “nicer”.

Geno reminds me of someone who has reached the age where he is looking around at the friends and colleagues who have passed on. He may be reflecting on the influence they’ve made in his life and starting to think about his own mortality (he seems to have had some health issues of his own). It can be humbling. I’ve seen this in patients and in my own parents.

Its hard to see this team suddenly improve their turnovers. I've seen high school girls teams play with more discipline and smarts. Not saying they are...but this team looks dumb and clueless. They seem like a team of gals just lucky to be tall...except for Rennia maybe. I hope they get better but that was horrible basketball to watch. They looked like they've never practiced before. Like I said...I hope they get better...but watching this team play is excruciating. Go Lady Vols...hope u figure it out.

Reactions: BreatheUT
Its hard to see this team suddenly improve their turnovers. I've seen high school girls teams play with more discipline and smarts. Not saying they are...but this team looks dumb and clueless. They seem like a team of gals just lucky to be tall...except for Rennia maybe. I hope they get better but that was horrible basketball to watch. They looked like they've never practiced before. Like I said...I hope they get better...but watching this team play is excruciating. Go Lady Vols...hope u figure it out.

Well you are saying they are by comparing them to high school teams and then stating they look “ dumb and clueless”so if that’s what you mean state it. If not then there was no need to say they look that way 😒 just because you say “not saying they are” doesn’t mean you aren’t actually saying it 😂

VN Store

Back