UConn back to Big East

Sources: UConn expected to rejoin Big East

UConn is expected to leave the American Athletic Conference and return to the Big East for basketball and other sports in 2020, sources told ESPN.

Nothing is official at this point, but an announcement could come as early as next week, sources said. The UConn board of trustees has not yet voted on the move, but approval is expected.

The biggest remaining question surrounds what happens with UConn's football team. The Big East does not have football, and it's unlikely UConn would remain in the American with just football, sources told ESPN. Sources said the football program is expected to play in the American in 2019 but could go independent after that or join another conference.

A possibility for the American in replacing UConn would be to add Army or Air Force as a football-only school, like it currently has with Navy, and then add a successful basketball program.

The Huskies women's basketball team has been virtually unchallenged in the American, going 102-0 in the regular season and 18-0 in the league tournament in six years. During that stretch, the Huskies have won three NCAA titles (2014, '15, '16) and they went to the Women's Final Four the other three years.

Sources: UConn expected to rejoin Big East

I guess the B1G and ACC don't want them.

Their men's bb team has already fallen dramatically from their peak.

Expect the women's team to gradually get worse over the next few years.

Uconn men’s basketball has had a rough couple of years but the new coach has done a great job recruiting this past season. He is a known commodity that always improves the team’s he coaches. Now back to the traditional rivalries of Villanova and Georgetown along with more regional rivalries like Seton Hall, Providence and St. John’s rye men’s team will gain in attendance and national prominence.

As far as he women’s team, the talk here was how bad the AAC was and UConn would die because of that. Now you are saying the same thing about the Big East. Did you know that if you move UConn’s RPI to the Big East that their conference RPI would be higher than the SEC? Crazy, huh.

Uconn men’s basketball has had a rough couple of years but the new coach has done a great job recruiting this past season. He is a known commodity that always improves the team’s he coaches. Now back to the traditional rivalries of Villanova and Georgetown along with more regional rivalries like Seton Hall, Providence and St. John’s rye men’s team will gain in attendance and national prominence.

As far as he women’s team, the talk here was how bad the AAC was and UConn would die because of that. Now you are saying the same thing about the Big East. Did you know that if you move UConn’s RPI to the Big East that their conference RPI would be higher than the SEC? Crazy, huh.

Or Hurley could cheat like crazy just like Calhoun and Ollie did. That's a way to get back to prominence too...

Has nothing to do with that. Primarily driven by the new AAC deal and the impact the ESPN+ provision had on their current SNY deal. Attendance at men’s basketball games was becoming a problem too. No one gives a sh*t about ECU UCF and Tulane.

A conference without Football is insane.

And the UConn football program is going to completely die now, which pretty much eliminates any chance they had of ever joining either the Big Ten or the ACC.

If the BE invites Ucon, and if Ucon accepts, the Ucon athletics department is essentially waving a white flag regarding football.

If the BE invites Ucon, and if Ucon accepts, the Ucon athletics department is essentially waving a white flag regarding football.

I would drop to FCS instead of going independent if I were UConn. The program hemorrhages money as is and, while the travel cost associated with being the most isolated AAC member wasn't insignificant, being backed by the AAC's meager television deal is better than what they'd get as an independent on SNY or MSG. I'd rather join the CAA in FCS football than have riveting rivalries against UMass and New Mexico State in between sacrificial lamb games at far away power schools.

Reactions: BowlBrother85
I would drop to FCS instead of going independent if I were UConn. The program hemorrhages money as is and, while the travel cost associated with being the most isolated AAC member wasn't insignificant, being backed by the AAC's meager television deal is better than what they'd get as an independent on SNY or MSG. I'd rather join the CAA in FCS football than have riveting rivalries against UMass and New Mexico State in between sacrificial lamb games at far away power schools.
And that is exactly what their schedule would be as an independent... home games with no-name directional schools and road games against teams they have no chance in hell of beating - and they could probably only even get 5 or 6 home games per season as an independent, anyway. Even Notre Dame was having trouble filling out their schedule before their 5 game per season agreement with the ACC. You are right, they are better off dropping to the FCS. They just gave up on football.

UConn has long hoped they would be the 16th school in the ACC if ND became a full member. They were informed about a year ago that ESPN wants another school if that need arises.

Last edited:
And that is exactly what their schedule would be as an independent... home games with no-name directional schools and road games against teams they have no chance in hell of beating - and they could probably only even get 5 or 6 home games per season as an independent, anyway. Even Notre Dame was having trouble filling out their schedule before their 5 game per season agreement with the ACC. You are right, they are better off dropping to the FCS. They just gave up on football.
you hit the nail on it's head. Notre Dame. NOTRE DAME is having problems filling their schedule as an independent. I get people under 40 might not get what that really means. But in short the world is changing. These days u gotta click up. It's funny to an old head like me I guess but all the things I hate about today's society are also breaking up the old ways in both positive and negative ways.

Notre Dame are like the definition of an independent. They haven't been truly, seriously relevant since the 90's but have been able to stay independent "with" compromises. The whole way. Even they are close to cracking. It's funny to me because I remember how cats from where I'm from that did time used to brag on how they did their time solo are clicking up now. Because the world changes. If u can't move u can't live. If trees grow the Savannah's shrink the horse becomes a giraffe or it does.

I'm one of those weird dudes. I am a high level Server Admin. I work in network security and computers and social media are my life, my job. I don't have Twitter, Snapchat or anything of the sort (still faddish). I have Facebook and linked in because I kinda have to (here to stay). Conferences are here to stay and if you're in the business of college sports you gotta get in the best one that will take you.

There's a thread out there here about why people root for other SEC teams and it's Al summed up here. It's about cache. We live in a world where, who you stand next to matters if you're selling something. It sucks to admit bit the first thing said on social media is more important than the first thing true. By the time the truth comes out it's too late the public's attention span has lapsed. It's how we got an orange president and let's be real no one in their soul is happy about that. If you're on team it's be side your team won and therin lies the problem. We no longer care about right and wrong it's a out my team won your team lost. Sometimes I need my team to lose because they need a wake-up. We've lost that.

The truly sad thing is I think BAMA will be the last time someone got it right. It eats my soul. But bama was where we were now in the early 90's. The difference? No social media and a non terrible AD. They hired the right guy at the exact right time. Seriously look at the timeline. You move Fulmer's downfall 2 years ahead and he never gets fired. A year or two before he got fired half the people screaming on the net for his dismissal didn't know what the internet was. The world changed and CPF was not ready. No one was. Saban deserves credit for everything he has done (choking blood saying this) but the fact we are in this situation is people so easily lose perspective. The world changes fast and what was ok last week isn't this week.

I am as stated many times in my time here, a proud super brown man. We live in a world where I can find an email so e cat wrote when he was 12 saying some messed up stuff matters now. That's stupid. I don't care if someone that hated me 20 years ago said some silly crap. How do they live now? And here's the turnaround, things change. People change. Live now judge now. Bill Cosby (80+) is gonna die in prison off some sh-- he did in the 1950's that was totally socially acceptable at the time because we rewound things on him. He was wrong by our standards today. Just saying.

Hopefully UConn does the right thing and gets with the times. The upside is them being in a legit conference will drop them down at least a notch or two. Stop fighting progress people.

I do not see uconn getting gradually worse, especially with while Geno is coaching. They only play 7 within significant minutes and they will have that many consistent and quality players.

What I do see is that more teams will have a legitimate shot at making final 4 appearances.

Reactions: olddog

When I looked at the conference RPI that would be the case for 2018-19 but the year before the Big East even with UConn would have still came in behind the SEC still pretty good though for the Big East also while they are gaining UConn the Marquette coach moved to Penn state and that team which helped lift the RPI with its wins over the last few years lost that core group of seniors that was the winningest in school history.

If Marquette can do what Miss St did replacing all those seniors year after year and still be a top team then that would def help the conference.

There is nowhere for them to go. The school is as far from anywhere as Hawaii. Besides, who the hel- wants to go play football, baseball, or most any other "ball" (except maybe basketball) in that far corner of the country. Yea, put them in the big ten, see how many Minnesota fans show up for a game in Conn or visa-versa.

Last edited:
UConn has long hoped they would be the 16th school in the ACC if ND became a full member. They were informed about a year ago that ESPN wants another school if that need arises.
Within 3 years of Auriemma's retirement, their decline will begin. By year 5 of Auriemma's retirement, they will be fielding an average women's college basketball team... just like what has happened with their men.

Within 3 years of CPS's retirement, their decline will begin. By year 5 of CPS's retirement, they were fielding an average women's college basketball team... just like what has happened with their men. our women
So, based on a single data point, are we to assume that history will repeat itself?

Maybe. Maybe not.

Reactions: brassie

VN Store

Back