UCF sets school record with 5 players....

It’s all about speed. Most of these guys can flat out fly!

One of our biggest problems both in recruiting and on-field performance over the years has been our lack of team speed. This is why, for example, our DBs, over the last few years, line up 10-12 yds off the line of scrimmage every single play. We all know what happened next:/

Scheming and coaching will help tremendously, but recruiting guys that can run should be a priority...as I’m sure it will be. The Pros do not recruit, or draft, guys that are slow. Period.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tnphil
The response to your very good question that they were developed by Huepel avoids the answer. Correct me if I am wrong, but Huepel was there for only 3 years, so that would mean they were recruited by Frost and coached by Frost and company year 1. Also, Huepel’s O staff are the only people to have come here. Three of the five that went pro were defensive players. Not surprisingly, they were receiver.
I think your details are good to consider. I didnt know which side of the ball the draftees played. Glad you shared them.
It's a cliche that the biggest development happens between year 1 and 2. Perhaps CJH isnt developing players as well as we initially thought. I am surprised 3/5 were defensive players.

The response to your very good question that they were developed by Huepel avoids the answer. Correct me if I am wrong, but Huepel was there for only 3 years, so that would mean they were recruited by Frost and coached by Frost and company year 1. Also, Huepel’s O staff are the only people to have come here. Three of the five that went pro were defensive players. Not surprisingly, they were receiver.
Willie Martinez was on Heupels staff for three years - our new secondary coach.

Willie Martinez coached them on Heupel’s staff...he followed him here. This is his second time on Rocky Top.

Reactions: McDad
Martinez came here as well and he coached the 3 defensive players that were drafted. They were recruited by Frost and developed by the same people that came here with Heupel. S&C coach and secondary coach. I don’t think the coach 3 years ago (Frost) really had much development with them. Also I assume Frost didn’t have 5 players drafted in a single year at UCF.

Martinez came here as well and he coached the 3 defensive players that were drafted. They were recruited by Frost and developed by the same people that came here with Heupel. S&C coach and secondary coach. I don’t think the coach 3 years ago (Frost) really had much development with them. Also I assume Frost didn’t have 5 players drafted in a single year at UCF.
Yeah I was corrected on this. Huepel doesn’t have the same WR coach, but Burns is no slouch.

VN Store

Back