UAB.....HUH? Same old Holley

gymmlover

So UAB with a group of 1 star and NR almost beat this " well coached" Lady Vols basketball team?
Gonna be a long season!!!!!!!!! Just totally lost why UT would pay Holley to coach ANOTHER YEAR
AND WITH A RAISE. After 30 plus years mooching off UT, Holley......please leave.....you are the weakest link.
Time to go get a coach who can coach and improve the talent we have. Need a Rick Barnes clone as
he is the only deserving head coach we have at UT.

Last edited:
Will not comment on Holly, but they have a week of practice to get a lot better for the first real road game.

So UAB with a group of 1 star and NR almost beat this " well coached" Lady Vols basketball team?
Gonna be a long season!!!!!!!!! Just totally lost why UT would pay Holley to coach ANOTHER YEAR
AND WITH A RAISE. After 30 plus years mooching off UT, Holley......please leave.....you are the weakest link.
Time to go get a coach who can coach and improve the talent we have. Need a Rick Barnes clone as
Im not so sure Holly leaving is the answer. She just needs to change the way she approaches these players and practice. For the love of GOD make them shoot free throws until they hit 20 in a row. Or even more. Make them play defense. Their lack of defense is disconcerting. And as a former guard she should understand valuable possessions are more important than street ball. Something has to change or we will see a very successful season with losses that should have never happened. And be lucky to reach the sweet 16. With this talent we should be at least the Elite 8 or better.

Yay the Holly Hating threads are starting earlier than expected this year!

Can’t wait to see how many we have this year.

Can't wait to see if the organization learned from the last few seasons.

Not a hater
Unbiased
But I am not unbiased about where this program should be and will be.
And, that I am full in.

😂 who are you? Again, not a CHW lover but you have 23 messages but been member since 2012.

This board cracks me up lol

Im not so sure Holly leaving is the answer. She just needs to change the way she approaches these players and practice. For the love of GOD make them shoot free throws until they hit 20 in a row. Or even more. Make them play defense. Their lack of defense is disconcerting. And as a former guard she should understand valuable possessions are more important than street ball. Something has to change or we will see a very successful season with losses that should have never happened. And be lucky to reach the sweet 16. With this talent we should be at least the Elite 8 or better.

I agree. I think Holly leaving is far worse than Holly staying. Holly leaving means our recruiting comes to a screeching halt and then we spend the next 4-5 seasons as a sub .500 team with a bunch of graduate and juco transfers until the new coach can implement their system. Keeping her after Pat was always the best option because it allowed us to work out the kinks and still be a successful program in the grand scheme of things.

By a show of hands, how many of us have been to a Lady Vol practice to know what Holly does and doesn’t do?!?!?!
As head coach or assistant? I watched her as an assistant in practice. Never saw her actually do or say anything. It's why I feel confident in my opinion that she should not be or never have been head coach of the Lady Vols.

Reactions: mcannon1
By a show of hands, how many of us have been to a Lady Vol practice to know what Holly does and doesn’t do?!?!?!

I truly wish there were someone here who regularly attends practices, but I doubt any such person exists among the regular-fan-types since, as I recall, during Hart's time fans lost the privilege of observing practices. Pratt Pavilion isn't big enough for fans to be able to kinda observe from afar and be unobtrusive, so I can kinda understand the ban.

Anyway, I don't know if that decision was ever reversed after he left. Anyone know? I would LOVE to sit in on some practices to know if the approach to practice is the same as it was during Pat's era, or if Holly has changed it up a bit.

For years I have been begging and pleading to the universe that Holly could make some radical changes in her approach so that, perhaps, the players won't continue the trend of looking stunned, confused and clueless in the final game of the season.

Surely to heavens she is not running practices in exactly the same way as she has every other year of her tenure, has she? Surely she's read some coaching books, or watched a ton of how-to films, or called on coaching friends for help. She wouldn't stubbornly stick to the same failed plans again and expect a different result, would she? Surely not.

Is anyone here able to give us insight?

A few years ago after UT Chatt loss, Holley was on after game and said that they had not practiced on offensive end!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why? Not enough time? Every other coach in America finds time.
Another question you should ask yourself is how many players improve under her. Barnes has to tell Westbrook how to shoot.......huh........made me look twice at that story.

Reactions: flint

Amen!

Reactions: GoBears
The funny thing is I have gone on other boards and read how people have said it is easy to ruffle others teams fan’s feathers.

Regardless this should be an entertaining post to follow 🍿🥤

Reactions: ruvol
Will not comment on Holly, but they have a week of practice to get a lot better for the first real road game.

The bigger problem going forward is that if Holly rely on Jackson,Westbrook to lead this team that`s a mistake. We have been down that road to many times before, Holly has two talented players in Zay Green and Rae Burrell it`s time to play them, I don`t care if this was game one the two need to play more.

Reactions: cutiepie5

We also had some issues with Clemson, however, before we throw in the towel we should consider the youth on this team. It takes a certain amount of time to gel a young team together into a well oiled machine. Yes, the jury is out as to it happening under Holly, however, I think we need to give her a break and see what happens the next few games. If the team starts looking like deer looking into headlights and things start to go South and fail to trend upward, then it is time to consider it might be a coaching issue. There is far TOO much talent on this team for it to go to hell in a handcart.

Reactions: Bret178
We also had some issues with Clemson, however, before we throw in the towel we should consider the youth on this team. It takes a certain amount of time to gel a young team together into a well oiled machine. Yes, the jury is out as to it happening under Holly, however, I think we need to give her a break and see what happens the next few games. If the team starts looking like deer looking into headlights and things start to go South and fail to trend upward, then it is time to consider it might be a coaching issue. There is far TOO much talent on this team for it to go to hell in a handcart.

I agree with you it`s to early to throw in the towel and this is a young team. To me there is no clear cut starter on this team other then Davis. Also it was a mistake in the first 4 games to use that sub 5 in 5 out rotation not a big fan of that.

Reactions: Smallvol#1
I think Holly has done a good job of getting the right players on the floor to give us a chance to win late in games. We can't hold her responsible for players missing free throws and easy layups that got us in the hole in the first place. Were 3 and 2 right now if she doesn't make the decision to go to the zone and to play Massengill and Westbrooks on the floor at the same time with Davis and Jackson at the three and four. Maybe she should decide to make those four and a big the starters. Maybe she could get a little more hands on with Westbrooks about her turnovers, but maybe she already is doing that. This is a young team sophomores and freshmen thus far they have played very well. The group of Massengill, Westbrooks, Davis , Jackson, and Green have blitzed both Clemson winning by 12 in one quarter and UAB 16 points in fourth quarter and overtime.

Reactions: Bret178
I think Holly has done a good job of getting the right players on the floor to give us a chance to win late in games. We can't hold her responsible for players missing free throws and easy layups that got us in the hole in the first place. Were 3 and 2 right now if she doesn't make the decision to go to the zone and to play Massengill and Westbrooks on the floor at the same time with Davis and Jackson at the three and four. Maybe she should decide to make those four and a big the starters. Maybe she could get a little more hands on with Westbrooks about her turnovers, but maybe she already is doing that. This is a young team sophomores and freshmen thus far they have played very well. The group of Massengill, Westbrooks, Davis , Jackson, and Green have blitzed both Clemson winning by 12 in one quarter and UAB 16 points in fourth quarter and overtime.

No disrespect but lets be fair Clemson and UAB will get blown out of the gym the top 10 teams in the country.

VN Store

Back