Tyson Helton talks about Guarantano's play

mistakes? when? where? zero turnovers, but u say mistakes. maybe ur watching a game nobody else is watching

just because he has not thrown an interception YET, does not mean he is making the correct read. Are you trying to say he has thrown the ball to the correct receiver on every play? He has made the correct calls and kept us from bad plays? look at the stats....he is near the bottom or at the bottom of just about every QB catagory in the SEC. Do you rally believe we can win SEC games with that kind of QB play?

He appears to still struggle with pre and post snap reads. He also isn't distributing the ball well enough. Callaway has 11 receptions. Next highest is Palmer with 4 and Murphy with 3 from JG.

Looking at your numbers brings to mind, Jennings. Where is he? I thought he was to be one of our "go to" guys this year. Think I saw him in the slot some Saturday. Is he just not working out as thought or is it something else?

Lol Kongbo & JG, two of the most hated players on VolNation who have done nothing but commit themselves to this new staff & taken everything in stride. JG has held his own the last two games & is looking really good. Get the ball out quick hitting Callaway while having <1.5 seconds to make his reads before getting drilled behind that line? He's a baller.

JG hasn’t looked really good. He’s looked decent. Kongbo has done nothing.

Compare it to this, I run a health care system, and if I “buy in” to the system but don’t get results, I still lose my job. End of story. You have to do the job or you lose your job. Kongbo hasn’t done anything. JG can’t make quick reads and progressions, holds the ball too long, doesn’t throw a good long ball (always behind the receiver) and doesn’t seem to be able to read defenses. So I think he’s doing decent with all those issues.

Yeah. Nothing wrong with throwing those guys under the bus... right? But if someone criticizes JG then they must "hate" him.

QB's have impact on OL's. How much of the blame goes where is difficult if not impossible to tell without much more information and the game film the coaches and players get. But there is no doubt that some falls on JG and some on the OL's.

Your consistency in JG is your downfall, Even when Dormady was playing like hot garbage last year you defended him over JG. Your problem is with JG, we all see that and your agenda is clear! OL not blocking on Run Plays has nothing to do with JG. OL not getting any push on Running plays is an OL problem not a JG problem. The majority of the problems are on the OL right now, JG isn't perfect by any means but the OL is the hot garbage on the offense!

Last edited:
just because he has not thrown an interception YET, does not mean he is making the correct read. Are you trying to say he has thrown the ball to the correct receiver on every play? He has made the correct calls and kept us from bad plays? look at the stats....he is near the bottom or at the bottom of just about every QB catagory in the SEC. Do you rally believe we can win SEC games with that kind of QB play?
It mostly doesn't matter who the QB is right now. The o-line play makes it a moot point until it becomes slightly competent. Some of that may be not recognizing fronts and changing plays, protections etc, but no way to know whether that's 5% or 30% of the problem.

Also, stats are meaningless from the cupcake games. We threw a grand total of 18 passes on Saturday mainly because we didn't need to.

Hide what? Honesty? No. That's not necessary to hide. Unlike you and a few others, I realize that JG isn't a perfect player surrounded by bums. I understand that there are things that are difficult to see from a fan's perspective. Some things you guys just don't recognize or else choose to ignore.

So where do you coach football at? Which college? Where did you play in college?

Reactions: Lloyd_Christmas
It mostly doesn't matter who the QB is right now. The o-line play makes it a moot point until it becomes slightly competent.

Also, stats are meaningless from the cupcake games. We threw a grand total of 18 passes on Saturday mainly because we didn't need to.

Somewhat true....as better QB play can help the O-line play better. The O-line can help the QB play better as well. I just feel as if we need more of a manager in the backfield and not someone who is struggling to read defenses.

Reactions: GBOx2
Somewhat true....as better QB play can help the O-line play better. The O-line can help the QB play better as well. I just feel as if we need more of a manager in the backfield and not someone who is struggling to read defenses.
Where is this coming from that JG is struggling with reads? He's not throwing picks and he's completing 70%+ and we're not drinking and dunking. I don't get it.

Your consistency in JG is your downfall, Even when Dormady was playing like hot garbage last year you defended him over JG. Your problem is with JG we all see that and your agenda is clear! OL not blocking on Run Plays has nothing to do with JG. OL not getting any push on Running plays is and OL problem not a JG problem. The majority of the problems are on the OL right now, JG isn't perfect by any means but the OL is the hot garbage on the offense!

It is his job to check into the correct play based on the defensive lineup. So yeah the OL has had some struggles. Although I think what SJT is getting at is that JG hasn't helped the OL with the proper pre snap reads. If you have 2 guys free on the outside with no blocker set up then you probably need to have a quick hitter plus he should bring some motion into them to at least slow the rush down.

Reactions: sjt18
The OL has been terrible. Again, its probably one of the worst units in the country.

Welp, looks like you were right BOT a few weeks ago when you said the OL was the biggest concern. I countered and thought it was the DL. Now, no doubt that our DL, particularly on the edges, is a big concern....but our OL right now is beyond atrocious. You were right, I was wrong.

Your consistency in JG is your downfall, Even when Dormady was playing like hot garbage last year you defended him over JG. Your problem is with JG we all see that and your agenda is clear! OL not blocking on Run Plays has nothing to do with JG. OL not getting any push on Running plays is and OL problem not a JG problem. The majority of the problems are on the OL right now, JG isn't perfect by any means but the OL is the hot garbage on the offense!
I defended Dormady when people unfairly attacked him. And criticized him numerous times just like I am JG. The difference is JG's cult like following who can't for some reason acknowledge some pretty obvious weaknesses.

If you think that QB's don't have an impact on run plays and run blocking then you need to go learn more about football. A QB's call could be as simple as choosing the side a zone play is run to based on defensive alignment or it could be as complex as getting into an audible and calling out the line calls.

Sometimes it isn't obvious unless you know the play call and how the QB's have been coached to react. Sometimes it is very obvious like when the O doesn't have enough people to pick up a blitz and the QB has to make a decision or get into a different play. That happened at least a couple of times vs ETSU. I'm sure people like you were screaming at the OL... but it was JG's job to account for the free rusher.

The coaches still believe they can bring him along. But if he doesn't improve it is going to cost the team. If your devotion to JG won't let you be honest enough to see that then that's your problem.

Where is this coming from that JG is struggling with reads? He's not throwing picks and he's completing 70%+ and we're not drinking and dunking. I don't get it.

Some people are gonna criticize and dislike him no matter what he does....71% completions, no turnovers, 152 qb rating, and people are bitching and complaining about him. You can barely even make this stuff up.

Some people are gonna criticize and dislike him no matter what he does....71% completions, no turnovers, 152 qb rating, and people are bitching and complaining about him. You can barely even make this stuff up.
I get that there may be an issue with identifying fronts, but there's no way to know for sure unless you've got a headset and know the playcalls. Also, it's likely that audibles are limited anyway since it's a new offense.

I get that the backup is always popular, but I don't get irrationally latching onto either guy.

I don’t think you know as much about this stuff as you seem to think you do.
I don't know the specifics of any given play. I do understand what QB's are asked to do typically in regard to managing the O. They have an impact on OL play. They have responsibility to adjust the play call.

So like I've admitted, there are times when it almost has to be a missed assignment by the OL. There are times when it is pretty obviously a bad play by the QB. Then... there are times when it could be either. We would have to know the play call, reads and reactions, and responsibilities plus have access to the game film.

Lost in all of this is that JG's OC is the one who said he holds the ball too long... implicitly that he needs to make better, quicker decisions.

When he starts leading the O to score points and sustains drives with something other than his raw ability to throw the ball then the criticism from me will be less. JG had "great stats" last year but the Vols couldn't win behind him or score points. I don't hate the guy but he's not a perfect QB surrounded by a bunch of bums. And regardless of what some here want to believe, the QB has a big impact managing the O and run game. He hasn't proven he can do that well

I don't know the specifics of any given play. I do understand what QB's are asked to do typically in regard to managing the O. They have an impact on OL play. They have responsibility to adjust the play call.

So like I've admitted, there are times when it almost has to be a missed assignment by the OL. There are times when it is pretty obviously a bad play by the QB. Then... there are times when it could be either. We would have to know the play call, reads and reactions, and responsibilities plus have access to the game film.

Lost in all of this is that JG's OC is the one who said he holds the ball too long... implicitly that he needs to make better, quicker decisions.

Seems to me like the article made too much of the quote below. I don’t read this as Helton being critical of JG.

“We don’t want to hold the ball forever,” he said. “So he (Guarantano) does a great job of getting it out, but that’s something we’re working on.”

JG is a sophomore. The line he depends on is stilla work in progress. New coaching. I’m going to give him some time. I believe he, the line, and the coaching will get a lot better by the end of the year, barring more serious injuries.

Reactions: bpalmer28 and KBVol
I get that there may be an issue with identifying fronts, but there's no way to know for sure unless you've got a headset and know the playcalls. Also, it's likely that audibles are limited anyway since it's a new offense.

I get that the backup is always popular, but I don't get irrationally latching onto either guy.

I don’t believe it’s irrational to “latch” onto a guy who showed good flashes of talent last year and has played very well after the first two games. The kid is playing in a new offense and behind a poor OL (putting it mildly)....and yet he’s completing 71% of his passes, is averaging more than 8.5 yards per attempt, has taken just 2 sacks, is clearly getting the ball out of hand quickly and decisively and yet hasn’t committed a turnover.....after being named the starter by his head coach. The only thing that’s irrational is those who are claiming he sucks, is holding on to the ball too long, and should be replaced by a transfer who clearly doesn’t have the same talent/upside.

So posting an article where the OC says JG holds the ball too long means the OP's bias is the issue?

Where in the article does Helton state that JG is holding the ball too long? Where? At the end he’s quoted as saying...... “We don’t want to hold the ball forever,” he said. “So he (Guarantano) does a great job of getting it out, but that’s something we’re working on.”

At no point does he say “Jarrett is holding on to the ball too long”, nor does he say anything about JG going through his reads poorly. To the contrary, he was quoted as saying “...he does a great job of getting it out...”, which implies he’s also making the proper reads.

You guys have your narrative about JG and are reading things into that article that aren’t there.

JG is a sophomore. The line he depends on is stilla work in progress. New coaching. I’m going to give him some time. I believe he, the line, and the coaching will get a lot better by the end of the year, barring more serious injuries.
This is the correct answer imo. JG has shown very strong improvement with his pocket presence and ability to deliver the ball quickly and accurately thus far. Pruitt has made the comment that “he’s doing a good job getting the ball out” on his Sunday coaches shows, and anybody watching honestly sees and acknowledges that. Those who want to criticize the kid no matter what, not so much.

Last edited:
I don’t believe it’s irrational to “latch” onto a guy who showed good flashes of talent last year and has played very well after the first two games. The kid is playing in a new offense and behind a poor OL (putting it mildly)....and yet he’s completing 71% of his passes, is averaging more than 8.5 yards per attempt, has taken just 2 sacks, is clearly getting the ball out of hand quickly and decisively and yet hasn’t committed a turnover.....after being named the starter by his head coach. The only thing that’s irrational is those who are claiming he sucks, is holding on to the ball too long, and should be replaced by a transfer who clearly doesn’t have the same talent/upside.

I haven't seen many say that they want Keller to start over JG. I think JG has a great upside. The problem is that we are not a good team as a whole. We are not a team that can get behind the chains early. So we really need him to make the right reads and cut the negative plays out. Part of that is the proper pre snap reads. I went back to watch some of the highlights and while the OL looked lost early there were plays in the game he just flat missed. I get that he is not a dual threat QB although when you see the DE crashing down with no outside help you keep the ball and get your 6-12 yards. Heck even 2-4 something positive instead of the RB blown up for a 4-5 yard loss. I don't think anyone is taking away that the kid is talented.

Reactions: sjt18
He had a lot of good blocks vs ETSU. Can't really do anything if the QB isn't targeting you. I mean JG pretty much only threw to Callaway.
Could it be that JJ still isn’t 100% (which several media sources have said) and wasn’t getting open like the best, most dynamic receiver on the team (Callaway) consistently has so far in two games? JP himself implied that JJ is a little rusty still by saying that “hasn’t played a lot of football” lately.

Btw, thru two games now, JG has completed 27 passes to 9 different receivers. Callaway, by far the best and #1 wr on this team, has caught 40% of JG’s completed passes, those other 8 guys 60%.

VN Store

Back