Ty Chandler

Agree! And it was against a defense that was as easy to cut as softened buttered. Great day for Gray but the two big runs were a result of the defense leaving holes where he was never touched. Most any running back with decent to good speed should have made those runs.

So Gray did his job then.

We have a good RB coming in this cycle too it looks like...and a WR that just won "fastest man" at Nikes Opening with a laser timed 4.31 in the 40... also have a beast coming in at center, who will hopefully get 1 year to develop behind Kennedy. May's little brother. Plus we still have 9 open slots IIRC for this cycle...and we are already rated 20th. We should finish around 10th hopefully if we close strong.

Can't take over a game when you don't get more than 2 consecutive carries. Best I can recall, this is the first game this year we stuck primarily with one back.
Added: 26 carries for 154 against BYU; not more than 16 carries any other game. I'm a big believer in letting the best backs get a rhythm. Look at Gray. He came in averaging 3.3. I remember Barry Sanders having 18 yards on 10 carries then ending with 190.

Any time I see a Barry Sanders mention I have to mention what a great player he was but a person and teammate he was as well. Barry Sanders blocked for Thurman Thomas at Oklahoma State. Never heard a discouraging word out of him to the media.

I don't think his body could withstand being a starter. He looks like he doesn't weigh a pound over 175. Kids got talent tho for sure.
Gray is the best back on the team I coached against this dude for four years in high school real deal just needed some time to get his legs under him

UT needs more than 3 IMO.
What we need are a couple true stud bellcow running backs like we used to routinely have....like Georgia and Alabama have every single year. Then let the other 3 battle it out for 3rd down and garbage time carries. All 3 are serviceable in their own way. But none of them are stud SEC guys, which is what we need.

Ftr, agree with your assessment of Gray in another post. Spot on.

Last edited:
Agree! And it was against a defense that was as easy to cut as softened buttered. Great day for Gray but the two big runs were a result of the defense leaving holes where he was never touched. Most any running back with decent to good speed should have made those runs.

The defense left holes? How about our O Line made holes. Then, Grey ran through them like somebody shot his azz out of a cannon. It's not a knock on Chandler or anyone else to compliment Grey's performance. They are different types of RB, both of which can help us win football games.

The defense left holes? How about our O Line made holes. Then, Grey ran through them like somebody shot his azz out of a cannon. It's not a knock on Chandler or anyone else to compliment Grey's performance. They are different types of RB, both of which can help us win football games.
Not knocking anyone. The O-Line played good comparing them to recent TN O-Lines, but it is still an average at best O-Line. Candy is an extremely below average run defense though. That was the jest of my statement of “defense leaving holes open.”

I also agree Chandler and Gray are different. Chandler is faster (when healthy) but more of a straight line back. Gray is shifty with speed. Chandler should have made those two runs as well considering the holes.

You assert our OL is average at best. I assert our OL by the end of the season is now top 5 in the SEC, best conference in the nation.

Even when the fumble was due to the qb bad handoff, of course it was jg, he is the only player on the team that can make mistake after mistake and still play. That fumble by chandler was all on jg. The announcers even said it.

Turns out Chandler hurt his ankle in practice.

Gray is the best back on the team I coached against this dude for four years in high school real deal just needed some time to get his legs under him

This year I think Jordon was the most consistent. Grey needs to improve on picking up his blocks and catching the ball. He had a few easy drops this year.

What is Chandler’s 40 time? Gray’s is 4.39. I also am curious who has the fastest 40 time on the team.

VN Store

Back