TX WR Jordan Hudson (TCU Transfer)

Must be wanting to play a lot of 5 wide sets if we’re going after this cat.

At face value you wouldn’t think we’d need a receiver, but someone pointed out we only have 8 scholarship receivers.

Bru
Keyton
Thornton
Squirrel
Nimrod
Webb
Leacock
Spillman

Two are true freshman, one of which might need a few years to contribute.
Two are seniors who will be gone after this season.
One is going into his third year (Thornton) so he will be draft eligible- and if he’s as good as advertised in the practice reports he could be a one and done.

So adding another receiver might be for next year. Get a guy who has some college experience, and get him into the system so that should he be in line to start next year, he will be familiar with our offense.

Another idea being floated is the staff wants to start platooning more guys at receiver. Alternate two or three guys per series. I’m which case, we’d need more guys.

At face value you wouldn’t think we’d need a receiver, but someone pointed out we only have 8 scholarship receivers.

Bru
Keyton
Thornton
Squirrel
Nimrod
Webb
Leacock
Spillman

Two are true freshman, one of which might need a few years to contribute.
Two are seniors who will be gone after this season.
One is going into his third year (Thornton) so he will be draft eligible- and if he’s as good as advertised in the practice reports he could be a one and done.

So adding another receiver might be for next year. Get a guy who has some college experience, and get him into the system so that should he be in line to start next year, he will be familiar with our offense.

Another idea being floated is the staff wants to start platooning more guys at receiver. Alternate two or three guys per series. I’m which case, we’d need more guys.
See I keep waiting for this to happen, but at this point, I’m not holding my breath. It’s easy to forget that this is just year 3 though.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
We don't platoon WRS and I'd wager this kid wants to be the feature wr in whatever offense he winds up in.

I'd love it if came here... And I'm sure he sees the offense we run and would surely like to play in it.

Not sure it's that simple tho?

We don't platoon WRS and I'd wager this kid wants to be the feature wr in whatever offense he winds up in.

I'd love it if came here... And I'm sure he sees the offense we run and would surely like to play in it.

No, those are fair questions.
The lack of rotation is a blessing and curse.

Honestly that's probably why our WR recruiting seems held back a little. But defensively we're adding all kinds of depth.
If you're a starter in our offense then you're in for a good time! But if you're the 5th guy...then you won't play until we're up by 4 scores.

Many offenses these days rotate 8 WRs throughout the game. Not.us

Reactions: gnm53108

Question is would he be able to just walk in and beat out either Bru, Squirrel, Thornton or Keyton for significant playing time?

Question is would he be able to just walk in and beat out either Bru, Squirrel, Thornton or Keyton for significant playing time?

According to a podcast I heard today, he has 3 yrs left and is being sold on being the "Guy" in his 2nd yr at UT..Bru and Keaton will be gone and possibly Thornton if he shows out. We don't have much depth past this season.

According to a podcast I heard today, he has 3 yrs left and is being sold on being the "Guy" in his 2nd yr at UT..Bru and Keaton will be gone and possibly Thornton if he shows out. We don't have much depth past this season.

Oh ok in that case it’s different. I didn’t know that thanks.

Reactions: jasonvol18
I really do wish we would rotate in receivers more often like other have discussed. Even if you just gave the young guys like 2-3 series each, that would still be better than just playing 3 guys the entire season. I know we don't like to substitute during a drive, and you don't really need to. Maybe it has just been the case of they just didn't trust the Jimmys and Merrill, but I think Webb, Nimrod, and Leacock are very talented and will certainly be needed after this year. We could be looking at a situation where we lose 5 of our top 6 receiving options with Bru, Keyton, Warren, Castles, and possibly Thornton gone. You'd be left with just Squirrel at that point.

I really do wish we would rotate in receivers more often like other have discussed. Even if you just gave the young guys like 2-3 series each, that would still be better than just playing 3 guys the entire season. I know we don't like to substitute during a drive, and you don't really need to. Maybe it has just been the case of they just didn't trust the Jimmys and Merrill, but I think Webb, Nimrod, and Leacock are very talented and will certainly be needed after this year. We could be looking at a situation where we lose 5 of our top 6 receiving options with Bru, Keyton, Warren, Castles, and possibly Thornton gone. You'd be left with just Squirrel at that point.
I disagree 100%….. only play guys if they are equal to your starters…. Squirrel got plenty of playing time bc he was producing…. It was much more annoying when some of our past coaches would rotate receivers… we would always end up with 2nd tier receivers on the field in big situations.

Where has all the talk about playing 3 WR's come from? We rotated 5 last season and as you saw in the Spring game none of the younger guys are ready. If they were they would be rotated in. It's more the fact that we don't have much ready beyond Bru, Keyton, Squirrel and Thornton. Hopefully Leacock begins to develop. We have zero production outside of those guys and we saw in the O&W game why the younger guys haven't gotten in rotation yet.

No, those are fair questions.
The lack of rotation is a blessing and curse.

Honestly that's probably why our WR recruiting seems held back a little. But defensively we're adding all kinds of depth.
If you're a starter in our offense then you're in for a good time! But if you're the 5th guy...then you won't play until we're up by 4 scores.

Many offenses these days rotate 8 WRs throughout the game. Not.us
other teams may get their 4-10 WRs more playing time than us, but the # of catches is pretty equivalent. Does it really help our team, or the WRs, to slow down the game and have them just run a route with no ball coming to them?

We also don't throw it as much as people assume we do. I have been over the stats before, our starters typically catch fewer balls, both as a total and as a percentage, compared to the teams we want to be compared too.

UT: 290 completed passes. our top 2 caught 41%. our top 8, 89%
Bama: 280 completed passes. top 2 caught 28%, they lacked any top end WR this year. top 8, 86%
Ohio State: 274 complete passes. top 2 caught 55%, top 8 92%.
Washington (#1 passing offense), 373 completed passes. top 2 caught 41%. top 8, 86%
Georgia 336 completed passes. top 2 caught 36%, they don't have any top end WR either, their 2 of top 4 were TEs. top 8, 82%
-for what its worth that 7% difference between UT and Georgia is 20 completed passes, or about 1.5 passes per game difference. if our WR and fans have an issue with 1.5 fewer passes per game going to the other guys, you are picking some serious nits.

and it looks even better when you look at the relative health. We were pretty healthy, with only Tillman missing significant. Every other school's top 8, had at least 2, miss multiple games, which allowed them to spread it out more than they probably wanted. and having top end talent, of course they are going to get targeted more, and the only school on that list with equal/better WR talent than us is Ohio State, and they targeted their top guys more than we did.

and I very seriously doubt any of those schools were tossing a lot of balls at their #9 guy in high profile games or moments either. Every team is padding their third string stats against whatever directional schools they play.

we compare very similar to the schools we "want" to be compared with. Its a bad argument to say we play fewer WRs than anyone else, or use them significantly less to the point its a substantial problem.

VN Store

Back