'20 TX QB Haynes King (TAMU Commit)

This is a straw man argument. I didn't see anybody claiming that Cut was not a good coach of QBs, only saying that he might not be coaching all that much longer due to health, and that campus not the best fit for us country boys.
Read more.
Maybe. But its not like both were unknown, not highly recruited QBs that needed tons of development. I like Cut but I dont think he is this development guru.

I don't know how long he will or won't coach, but anybody think Cut don't know Qb's is loco. The NFL consults him on QB's, the turn to him often. GBO!

Reactions: quadlee21
Agreed and really It's a problem we need to have. Our QB room as a whole isn't very good. Outside of JG it looks really weak.
what newt said. i'm not ready write either one of those two kids off yet, but if you're referring to youth and/or inexperience as the reason it's not very good, i'd be more inclined to agree with you.

either way, competition is needed.

Reactions: Sleegro
i'm not ready write either one of those two kids off yet, but if you're referring to youth and/or inexperience as the reason it's not very good, i'd be more inclined to agree with you.

either way, competition is needed.

Absolutely youth and inexperience as well as competition being needed. The Shrout take over Martinez still baffles me though, then again I realize that was all Tyson Helton who was totally in over his head.

Absolutely youth and inexperience as well as competition being needed. The Shrout take over Martinez still baffles me though, then again I realize that was all Tyson Helton who was totally in over his head.
yeah, i didn't view it as a shrout over martinez situation, as much as it was martinez got cold feet, and we needed a QB.....

eihter way, i'm definitley not sold that Maurer can't play one day....

Reactions: volsagain
yeah, i didn't view it as a shrout over martinez situation, as much as it was martinez got cold feet, and we needed a QB.....

eihter way, i'm definitley not sold that Maurer can't play one day....

Yeah Maurer is one that might have some potential. I just want healthy numbers and competition. We simply don't have that going into this year. Just need to pray JG can stay healthy.

Yeah Maurer is one that might have some potential. I just want healthy numbers and competition. We simply don't have that going into this year. Just need to pray JG can stay healthy.
agreed.

i don't want to have to find out how good, or bad, either of these kids are right now. lol.

It’s obvious Tennessee has impressed King very much. He visited in the spring and returned for an official. The combination of Chris Weinke and Jim Chaney is very exciting for him to develop as a player. But as the reality of a decision comes soon, so does the idea of playing far away from home with Texas A&M also being enticing with Jimbo Fisher and his quarterback track record also speaking volumes to the blue-chipper. Although Auburn and Duke remain in the picture, this one seems like it will come down to the Vols or Aggies and while I liked Tennessee going into the officials I could now see it going either way following officials to both campuses. In my opinion, King is one of just a few quarterbacks in this class I can point to and say he has the talent and makeup to start at the highest level as a true freshman.
-Wiltfong

Elite Longview (Texas) High School quarterback Haynes King has never named a list of leaders, but at this point, it's pretty obvious that there's a final four: Tennessee, Texas A&M, Auburn, and Duke.

King made his Texas A&M official visit May 31 weekend, then officially visited Tennessee this past weekend. He is expected to arrive today in Auburn for his official visit. Duke is expected at some point next week, though last I had heard the exact dates were not yet set.

So where does everything stand?

My feeling right now is that this is Tennessee vs. Texas A&M. I have not been told that expressly. That's simply the vibes I'm getting. Auburn developed a relationship very early on with King, who got offered in early August 2018 by Auburn and unofficially visited last September. He unofficially visited again in March. But I think Auburn would really need to knock it out of the park to get in the mix with Tennessee and Texas A&M.

Duke is an intriguing option because of David Cutcliffe's reputation developing QB's and the degree. Those are the main reasons he's going to check out Duke before making a decision.

Speaking of a decision, King has told me multiple times that he wants to wrap up the whole process by the end of the month. In fact, he hopes to decide before leaving for the Elite 11 Finals, which are June 28-30 from the Ford Center at The Star in Frisco, Texas. Honestly, that would be a smart move for him considering how much media attention would center around him if he was still uncommitted that weekend.

Tennessee is in great shape because it has been developing a relationship with King for months. Tennessee offered Jan. 8. Jim Chaney and Chris Weinke seem to have done a really good job building this relationship, and King has spoken highly of Jeremy Pruitt as well. He really enjoyed visiting Knoxville in March for his unofficial and again last week for his official visit.

Texas A&M offered King on May 1. Darrell Dickey is the primary recruiter there and he's done a good job getting the Aggies caught up in this recruitment despite the later offer.

If Tennessee has an advantage in the length of relationship, A&M has the edge in logistics: much closer to home (fewer than 200 miles from Longview High School) and much easier for family and friends to visit King and see him play his college career. I would expect A&M to sell King hard on the Aggie network post-graduation, something that probably catches the attention of an East Texas kid who grew up in the state and may wind up living there long-term. A&M is one of the largest schools in the country and has an enormous alumni base.

We need to see how these final two official visits go, but again, I think it's gonna be Tennessee vs. Texas A&M. And in all honesty, I am not ready to make a prediction at this point. It really feels up in the air between those two, based on everything I've gathered and reading all of the tea leaves.

What we know for sure is that King wants to play in the SEC, something he has maintained for months. We also know that he wants to play in a pro-style offense. Those factors are reasons you do not see a Big 12 program in this final group of schools, despite proximity and the attraction of throwing the ball all over the yard.

King wants to play under center at times, something he does for his high school team. He threw for almost 3,900 yards and 42 TD's in 2018, but Longview also ran for 5,100 yards and 80 TD's as it won the Texas 6A D-II state championship. There's a ton of play-action and boot in Longview's arsenal that allows King to stretch the field vertically and make the kind of progressions he will make as he transitions to the next level.

And therein lies the ultimate factor, in my opinion. Development. King emphasizes being developed as a quarterback. I really think he wants to see if he can make it to the NFL, and he's looking for a staff and a situation that will help him do that.

-Gabe Brooks, 247

The Aggie network is a huge benefit to a person in their professional career, especially in Texas. It’s gotten me a lot of jobs in the past.

You guys may dismiss it, but it’s unlike anything I’ve ever seen. A&M has over 500,000 total graduates, and graduates about 15,000 students per year. It has the largest undergraduate enrollment (about double that of TN) in the country, and the largest total area of land of any US university. It truly is a sleeping giant - it has resources that other colleges only dream of. They made the most $$ in the SEC this past year.

If he wants all of his family to be able to be at most of his college games, a degree which will benefit him network-wise, while still being able to have the chance to go to the league, he’ll pick A&M. Plus, A&M currently has zero QB commits for 2020; TN already has a blue chip QB committed.

The Aggie network is a huge benefit to a person in their professional career, especially in Texas. It’s gotten me a lot of jobs in the past.

You guys may dismiss it, but it’s unlike anything I’ve ever seen. A&M has over 500,000 total graduates, and graduates about 15,000 students per year. It has the largest undergraduate enrollment (about double that of TN) in the country, and the largest total area of land of any US university. It truly is a sleeping giant - it has resources that other colleges only dream of. They made the most $$ in the SEC this past year.

If he wants all of his family to be able to be at most of his college games, a degree which will benefit him network-wise, while still being able to have the chance to go to the league, he’ll pick A&M. Plus, A&M currently has zero QB commits for 2020; TN already has a blue chip QB committed.
You're going to be so sad when he picks Tennessee.

VN Store

Back