'20 TX ATH Devon Achane

On coaches pushing hardest: “Coach (Darrell) Dickey at Texas A&M; Coach (Greg) Mac at LSU. A lot from Arkansas and Tennessee have been hitting me (up). Those doing the best job … probably Coach (Karl) Scott (at Alabama), Coach Dickey, Tennessee and Coach (John) Wozniak (at Oklahoma State).”

On Tennessee, Florida State and Arkansas: “They’re trying to get in touch with me. They’re hitting me up all the time. All the coaches text me. Florida State, too. I’ve been getting to talk to all of their coaches. They like my speed. We talk about track and they want me to race them. It’s like they’ll beat me or something. Arkansas also likes my speed. You know #DiamondGang2020.”

RIVALS REACTION

Achane is showing a high degree of interest in several different schools and has been careful not to show his hand too much. Perhaps that’s because his visits to campus have been few and far between, which should change once track season is over and his travel plans kick up a notch.

Texas A&M is perhaps the quiet lead in the clubhouse. The Aggies’ offensive coordinator is in contact with Achane almost daily and because it’s close to home, he’s already familiar with the school and the team. However, he routinely brought up Oklahoma State and LSU as teams he was very intrigued by, as well as Tennessee when it came to coaches making the hardest push.

It’s also important to note that Achane named Oklahoma State, A&M, LSU and Florida State as the schools gaining the most headway with his mother, who is helping him with his recruitment. I’d expect all of these schools to get visits in the spring or during camp season.

This decision will boil down to relationships and fit in the offense. Achane is an all-purpose back by trade, but schools want him to fill multiple roles -- whether it’s in the backfield, in the slot or as a moveable piece on offense. Whoever sells him on getting the ball in his hands the most might ultimately win this sweepstake.
—Rivals

This is a special talent. This kid has the kind of speed that you can't coach up. He's a high level track and field athlete posting a 10.67 100m in what appears to be an event run during his sophmore year. I've only found a single 200m event recorded for 2019. This kid has that crazy top level speed where he runs away from the competition like a race horse, and the field slows down as they chase him. He makes very agile football moves when he has the ball in his hands, and what stands out to me is that he knows how to switch up his angles and acceleration in the open field, and he uses his opponent's momentum against them to make them miss.

He’s crazy quick and fast. Unique combination.

Aggie coaches were on him quickly.

VN Store

Back