Two new starters?

I agree with @vollygirl overall here, but I gotta say this case is a bit different. Linebackers aren't the weakness of the team. D-line? Sure. O-line? Sure. Not our linebackers. 2 of them went to media days representing the squad. Bituli is on breakout watch, and Will Ignont is supposedly having a great fall camp. Taylor is going to the league.

If a freshman is starting over any of those guys, I don't think that's an indictment of where our linebackers are in the way that starting Wanya is an indictment of how bad our o-line is. Henry T may just be a beast. He is picking up things quick. One writer said he looked like he had been in the system two years already the way he was picking things up. I think we have a good one.

I don't know about starting, but I'd expect Henry T., Crouch, McCollough, Morris, Gray, Burrell, and probably Wright as the freshmen I expect to see a lot of time this year. I expect Simmons and the two freshmen tight ends to play a good amount as well.

I personally prefer starting the more talented freshmen early in the season. They should be playing like sophomores by the Florida game. Look at Taylor and Thompson last year. They got dismantled by West Virginia but improved significantly as the season progressed.

There are going to be several that he will "rehabilitate". Some didn't want to do the work (most of those are gone) or some have technique that is badly broken. They may reach the peak of their potential, but it may not be as high as it once was due to circumstances.

If Pruitt still has them on the team, and if he is the "right" coach, "circumstances" are no excuse. The right coach can not only recruit well and have those players willing to run through a wall for him, but can take the last coach's players and inspire them to run through a wall for him.

If Pruitt still has them on the team, and if he is the "right" coach, "circumstances" are no excuse. The right coach can not only recruit well and have those players willing to run through a wall for him, but can take the last coach's players and inspire them to run through a wall for him.
He can have them wanting to run through a wall for him, but that does not mean they are at the level they should be in relation to conditioning or technique. You don't seem to get that it is much harder to retrain, than it is to train. Bad habits are hard to break. Ever smoked or drank in your life? I have done both and even with the best motivation, it was hard to stop doing either. Same thing with bad coaching and discipline.

I think the primma donnas of Jones group are gone now. I’ll be very disappointed if we don’t see a new level of intensity this season. This is Pruitts biggest challenge IMO this year. Vols have to act like they love playing for him and will give effort. Last 2 years were embarrassing. Players didn’t play like they cared. Jmo.

*Pre-Madonnas*

Reactions: SpookyAction
He can have them wanting to run through a wall for him, but that does not mean they are at the level they should be in relation to conditioning or technique. You don't seem to get that it is much harder to retrain, than it is to train. Bad habits are hard to break. Ever smoked or drank in your life? I have done both and even with the best motivation, it was hard to stop doing either. Same thing with bad coaching and discipline.

A good coach break bad habits and instills discipline. And player conditioning and technique? That is on the coaches as well. We can go back and forth with you inventing excuses, and me putting it on a good coach to be able to make these guys man up and take control of their game and their lives as long as you want, Pride. And FYI, I smoke, I drink ect ect and damn, I do it well. But I am not on the team.

Then get ready for # 2 or TooToo that is.

Fulmer is no longer the coach and Butch had true freshmen start on defense. Most notable was Derek Barnett.

My point was Fulmer rarely relied on true freshman, especially on defense.

Amen. Ja'wuan James started as a freshman. He is a solid NFL talent. Put the best you have on the field even if they are raw.
I remember he nullified Jadaveon Clowney as a freshman.
I think it means we have some excellent freshman atm.

Most teams, even the real good ones start freshman. Even ala and Clemson.
Problem isn’t the problem so much that two freshmen will be starting. Problem is the competition for these young players isn’t much. I expect several freshmen to get significant playing time this season. If Pruitt succeeds it’s a huge recruiting tool going forward.

VN Store

Back