TV, movies, music, Books and whatnot.

I’m plowing through the books (#8 at the moment, all of them 700-800 pages or so.) I thought the series might help me remember the early books I read years ago, but when I asked here, the replies leaned toward “meh.”

If the Tolkien show is well received, I may sign up for Prime (it is slated for Prime, yes?).

I’m plowing through the books (#8 at the moment, all of them 700-800 pages or so.) I thought the series might help me remember the early books I read years ago, but when I asked here, the replies leaned toward “meh.”

I made the mistake of buying the first book of Sanderson’s Stormlight series, thinking it was a stand alone 700+ page tome… No. Every following book is 700+ pages. He may finish writing them and I may finish reading them before I die.

Reactions: VolNExile
Tried to watch it. Just couldn't get into it.
It’s an incredibly intricate universe (much more so than Game of Thrones, for instance), and a lot in the books is interior monologue (thoughts.) I’m thinking of giving it a try just to see how on earth they pulled it off, or didn’t.

It’s an incredibly intricate universe (much more so than Game of Thrones, for instance), and a lot in the books is interior monologue (thoughts.) I’m thinking of giving it a try just to see how on earth they pulled it off, or didn’t.

I read the books and enjoyed them.

The show runners made a long series of horrible mistakes in making the TV Series. I watched the whole season 1 and was very disappointed. I get that they needed to compress 14 long books into something reasonable, so some plot "short cuts" would need to be made. But they destroyed some plot lines while making others up from whole cloth. Plus the casting choices were flatly abominable. Not specifically because the cast is diverse and inclusive, there are lots of different "races" in the books. But the main five characters in the books were all from the same small mountain village, isolated from the rest of the "world" for ages and ages and therefore were much alike. The show has them more diverse than any good sized modern city. As the books begin all five are acquainted and are teenagers, but none of them are romantically involved. The show is very different in this regard which ruins multiple plot lines from the books.

There is more, but you probably get the the gist. If you haven't read the books, it is probably a decent series, though much of the backstory of the various factions aren't well developed.

Just my $.02 and probably not worth it.

I read the books and enjoyed them.

The show runners made a long series of horrible mistakes in making the TV Series. I watched the whole season 1 and was very disappointed. I get that they needed to compress 14 long books into something reasonable, so some plot "short cuts" would need to be made. But they destroyed some plot lines while making others up from whole cloth. Plus the casting choices were flatly abominable. Not specifically because the cast is diverse and inclusive, there are lots of different "races" in the books. But the main five characters in the books were all from the same small mountain village, isolated from the rest of the "world" for ages and ages and therefore were much alike. The show has them more diverse than any good sized modern city. As the books begin all five are acquainted and are teenagers, but none of them are romantically involved. The show is very different in this regard which ruins multiple plot lines from the books.

There is more, but you probably get the the gist. If you haven't read the books, it is probably a decent series, though much of the backstory of the various factions aren't well developed.

Just my $.02 and probably not worth it.
Thanks, and that’s about what I expected. Since my challenge with the books is keeping up with the umpty-‘leven minor and medium characters, I think I’ll have to rely on the WoT fan wiki. 🤪

Reactions: Danl
We're watching Outlander, not sure what season we're on. I really enjoy the Marsali character, the actress does a great job

The Last Kingdom has me entrapped. S4E1. Uhtred is a badass!
I wanted to like it, but just didn't.

I read something last week about it that made me decide to give it another try though. Only problem is I forgot where I stopped. Lol. I'll have to do a search here and see if I can figure it out.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83

VN Store

Back