Turning point against FL

Dougie_D

Since I remember, TN b-ball seemed to always be somewhat an underdog. They enjoy the wins but somehow they still had the mentality that they were the underdog. If we had lost against FL, we may have slipped into that idea. But honestly, after the win , you can
SEE and FEEL this team as true winners. They understand a “winner mentality” . Go Vols!

We are a low key great team. I started watching jerry greens teams in the late nineties and thought he got fired to early but read he had some issues so we did it. Then after few bad years we had pearl who I love. This year will be the first back to back sec championships we have ever had.

Reactions: OneVolNation
We are a low key great team. I started watching jerry greens teams in the late nineties and thought he got fired to early but read he had some issues so we did it. Then after few bad years we had pearl who I love. This year will be the first back to back sec championships we have ever had.
This team can beat you a lot of different ways with a lot of different players. The way Bowden has stepped up the last couple of weeks is huge. To beat Mizzou on the road by 20 when Grant played his worst game of the season shows how resilient this team is. This is a Final 4 team with the ability to cut down the nets in April. It's going to be an amazing ride. sit back and enjoy!

Since I remember, TN b-ball seemed to always be somewhat an underdog. They enjoy the wins but somehow they still had the mentality that they were the underdog. If we had lost against FL, we may have slipped into that idea. But honestly, after the win , you can
SEE and FEEL this team as true winners. They understand a “winner mentality” . Go Vols!

Bingo. In the past, teams would get sloppy, commit back to back turnovers, have bad calls go against them, realize they were "suddenly" down by more points than the capacity to come back and kind of just "accept reality."

This team stays aware of the dynamics and can sense the danger early enough to adjust without getting caught off guard by any of it.
The best part is, they don't accept anyone else's version of reality except for the true reality which is the one they dictate for the win. You can see it. They know they can do it.

I still hold that foul issues are our biggest threat. The phantom over-the-back call that put Kyle on the bench early in the 1st half being a case in point. Or the bigger phantom call - the moving screen on Grant late - had that been his 5th foul we likely lose.

SEC refs playing to the home crowd...as traditional as Thanksgiving turkey.

I still hold that foul issues are our biggest threat. The phantom over-the-back call that put Kyle on the bench early in the 1st half being a case in point. Or the bigger phantom call - the moving screen on Grant late - had that been his 5th foul we likely lose.

That call on Grant should get someone fined.

Now they had a better view than I did so I could be wrong, but it seemed to me that some of the travel calls were fantom also.

The last six minutes was close to perfect. Again, this team goes down by nearly double digits, hostile environment, takes it on the chin and finishes with a double digit win. Hats off to Bowden. That kid was fearless and wanted the ball in his hands. That's what makes this team so dangerous. So many people have said teams like Kentucky have more upside and will continue to improve while we are nearly at max peak. Kentucky will improve but go back to Kansas when Williams fouls out. I gave up. Gonzaga, same thing. Williams goes out, I'm like "ballgame". But this team is showing we are capable of winning when our best goes out. 5 guys can take over a game and win it for us. That kind of depth, leaderships, and hungry is what you want in a tournament. Such an exciting time on Rocky Top!

To me, there was no "turning point". They weathered the first half storm, the game long home court officiating, and just stayed at work until the job was done.. This is they way they play (work) no bull shi-. Just get the job done and go home.
Oh, I did like the shops by Williams AFTER the game. Really the first real emotion I saw from the guys the whole game. For me, they as usual, were at work getting a job done all afternoon.

Fouls are a big issue in any game for any team.

That means we get the home cooking next then, right? Nothing to make a stink over then unless it happens at home too.

This is a "problem" in every SEC game. It's been this way all my life. I don't notice as much with other conference. (however it's there) Just seem to me the ref's get "caught up" in the crowd frenzy and just get carried along.

Like I said in another thread, we now have a veteran team. We were losing these games two years ago. Now, we know how to handle being on the road. We know that we can come back when we get behind. We know the refs are going to make it harder. We just keep on playing.

It also helps that we are becoming a deep team. How often does a team have a duo like Bowden and Turner coming off the bench? I know Turner's offensive numbers aren't that great thus far in the season, but I think his defense is making a difference.

They executed their game plan to perfection but when the Vols tied it up you could see their legs weaken. This team leans on you with pressure and you eventually fold. Then the wheels totally came off the last minute otherwise it could have been an upset.

Reactions: twoffo
Now they had a better view than I did so I could be wrong, but it seemed to me that some of the travel calls were fantom also.
I didn't have much of a problem with any of the travels, but were I a Florida fan, I'd be furious at the non-call on Grant William's as he took three steps before dishing to Admiral on the corner on the 3 that sealed the game.

In a game of ball calls, that was one non-call that stood out. Glad they missed it.

A lot of posters I’ve seen on here have said march is all that matters. Well last night seems like it mattered a whole lot, imo.

it sure did JR...we have to win enough games to get to March...it's not automatic...just ask all the teams in the Top 25 that got upset yesterday...;)

GO VOLS...RECRUIT LIKE HECK!

Reactions: Johnnyreb#VFL
I didn't have much of a problem with any of the travels, but were I a Florida fan, I'd be furious at the non-call on Grant William's as he took three steps before dishing to Admiral on the corner on the 3 that sealed the game.

In a game of ball calls, that was one non-call that stood out. Glad they missed it.
probly felt they owed him one.

I really didn’t see the egregious walk by Williams and I’ve watched a replay of it.

Last edited:
I really didn’t see the egregious walk by Williams and I’ve watched a replay of it.
Well, it's pretty evident. I don't see how it's really even debatable. He clearly takes three steps. Watch it again...dribble, cross over, dribble, one, two, three steps, jump pass.

VN Store

Back