Turner not playing?

For once, UT has the kind of team where there is no need to rush back one of their best players until Turner is completely healthy. A luxury, done properly that will pay off in tournament time.

Sometimes, in very rare circumstances, the NCAA takes pity on an often-injured athlete and allows him an extra year of eligibility. The 6th year of eligibility can be applied for after the conclusion of the athlete's final season (the 5th year). The NCAA judges these case by case, so insert some UNC conspiracy theory here. In order to be granted a 6th year, the NCAA must see some sort of extenuating circumstances. If a player is legitimately injured for 2 years, then the possibility increases.

6th years happen rarely and when back-to-back seasons are lost for the same injury. That's not going to be happening with Turner... he redshirted as a freshman, played 2 years, and is now sitting out with an injury. He gets nothing by sitting out the rest of this year.

I'm with you don't think RS is going to happen but he could get a medical RS because he did not play over 9 games. Of course his injury would be scrutinized and have to be approved.

Nope. Medical waiver can be granted in a year when a player has been in 30% or fewer games, zero minutes in the second half, AND the redshirt has not already been used.

Sometimes, in very rare circumstances, the NCAA takes pity on an often-injured athlete and allows him an extra year of eligibility. The 6th year of eligibility can be applied for after the conclusion of the athlete's final season (the 5th year). The NCAA judges these case by case, so insert some UNC conspiracy theory here. In order to be granted a 6th year, the NCAA must see some sort of extenuating circumstances. If a player is legitimately injured for 2 years, then the possibility increases.
The issue is that Turner wasn’t injured his first RS year

For once, UT has the kind of team where there is no need to rush back one of their best players until Turner is completely healthy. A luxury, done properly that will pay off in tournament time.
If Turner is needed on defense and backup for Bone, other than missing Bone’s scoring, could he not be a short time fill in per game to help out? It could get him back into game rhythm and give him a chance to feel more comfortable on offense. Otherwise, he has more to overcome than we realize.....

If Turner is needed on defense and backup for Bone, other than missing Bone’s scoring, could he not be a short time fill in per game to help out? It could get him back into game rhythm and give him a chance to feel more comfortable on offense. Otherwise, he has more to overcome than we realize.....

Barnes is using Campbell to help out. If Turner's shoulder simply needs rest, it makes no sense to play him at all.

Reactions: sport3500
Campbell hit a 3 in today's win against Tennessee Tech and he is a solid defender who can spell Bone for 3 to 5 minutes per ball game so there is no rush for Turner to get back.

Nope. Medical waiver can be granted in a year when a player has been in 30% or fewer games, zero minutes in the second half, AND the redshirt has not already been used.

To get a 6th year his first RS would had to be medical and this one would have to be medical I think and then falling in the time parameters. I think that's how it goes but I know there have been some 6th year guys.

Campbell hit a 3 in today's win against Tennessee Tech and he is a solid defender who can spell Bone for 3 to 5 minutes per ball game so there is no rush for Turner to get back.
He want play 3 to 5 minutes against a legitimate opponent. One or two possession before a media timeout maybe tops.

Reactions: Vols All Day
To get a 6th year his first RS would had to be medical and this one would have to be medical I think and then falling in the time parameters. I think that's how it goes but I know there have been some 6th year guys.

And typically to get 6 years there need to be 2 consecutive years missed with the same injury or medical issue. That is a possible scenario with Kent, but not Turner.

Reactions: sechamp2012
He want play 3 to 5 minutes against a legitimate opponent. One or two possession before a media timeout maybe tops.
Yep, he is our most athletic walk on and our best defensive walk on, but like you say he can’t be out there for long. Every team will take it to him when he is out there.

Reactions: ColinS
I wouldn’t be surprised if we see Lamonte back by the fifth sec game. I’m guessing he still wants to be in consideration for the sixth man award.

Anyone that’s recovered from shoulder surgery can tell you that how your shoulder feels can totally change. A surgically repaired shoulder is going to hurt. Your natural reaction is to avoid pain and even though the shoulder may be repaired it doesn’t mean it’s healed. And a healed shoulder doesn’t mean it’s back to normal. Scar tissue, range of motion, atrophy are all factors.

Yea, seems like he’s going to have a long rehab. I don’t think he’s going to get back to where he was this year.

It's a good thing that TN has been able to get a lot of work in running a zone defense. Without Turner spelling Bone, we'd potentially run into matchup problems with combinations of Bowden and/or some walk-ons. Campbell or Woodson probably struggle to match up versus SEC guards in the M2M. Or 2 quick guards could be hard to defend with Bowden and Pons, Schofield, or Johnson. The zone could neutralize attacks from the perimeter when Bone is sitting.

Before resorting to shoulder surgery...
He should alternate:
Heat
Cold
Massage
Acupressure
Acupuncture
Chiropractic
None of that works, consult a voodoo priestess.

Not a doctor, pretended to be one in grade school to look at Susie Miller’s pee pee.

Before resorting to shoulder surgery...
He should alternate:
Heat
Cold
Massage
Acupressure
Acupuncture
Chiropractic
None of that works, consult a voodoo priestess.

Not a doctor, pretended to be one in grade school to look at Susie Miller’s pee pee.
Was Susie's bigger than yours ?

I kid

VN Store

Back