Turner not playing?

dcVOLfanatic

Sorry if this has been discussed, but I just noticed Turner didn’t play yesterday. I didn’t get to watch the game and was looking through the box score and stats this morning. Did Barnes keep him out due to his shoulder (injury or continued recover) or is it because he has not been producing?

Sorry if this has been discussed, but I just noticed Turner didn’t play yesterday. I didn’t get to watch the game and was looking through the box score and stats this morning. Did Barnes keep him out due to his shoulder (injury or continued recover) or is it because he has not been producing?
Shoulder. Im thinking the previous game the way his shot looked awkward it wasnt completely recovered. Hopefully he is good to go in Phoenix.

Reactions: RollerVol

During Barnes’ post game comments, he mentioned Turner’s shoulder is still an issue and alluded to the fact that he was not going to play him until he is well and back to playing hard all the time. We all know Turner is a vital part of the team. We need him to be well as our competition becomes significantly tougher moving forward.

During Barnes’ post game comments, he mentioned Turner’s shoulder is still an issue and alluded to the fact that he was not going to play him until he is well and back to playing hard all the time. We all know Turner is a vital part of the team. We need him to be well as our competition becomes significantly tougher moving forward.

Glad to hear he’s going to make sure Turner is 💯 before he comes back. If this team hopes to make a deep run this year, Bowden and Turner will be very key pieces to that. Thanks for the updates guys!

Bowden is going to have to step up. I’m afraid their inability to get another guard last year is going to bite. Turner has been awful. Barnes said he didn’t know if it was physical or mental but that he needs to get addressed pronto.

Turner had some mental issues his freshman year, and they spilled over into early season play last year. But he got over them and got consistently better as the year went on. Fortunately Bowden was hot early on. I think Turner will get it sorted out as long as he can get over any lingering shoulder issues.

I know he isnt highly rated but i would give the kid from Texas a few looks from time to time. He seems to be a lights out shooter. A few 3 or 4 minute spurts each half could be worth a couple 3s. Defense might be a liability but they seem to play good help defense.

I know he isnt highly rated but i would give the kid from Texas a few looks from time to time. He seems to be a lights out shooter. A few 3 or 4 minute spurts each half could be worth a couple 3s. Defense might be a liability but they seem to play good help defense.

Fleschman, the walk-on?

I think Jalen Johnson would get the nod before him.

Reactions: Vols All Day
No need to go with a walk on, when JJ can do the same thing, but is bigger and a true DI athlete.

My intuition tells me, from past experiences, that this is purely because he has issues in his recovery from a shoulder injury. There is no doubt that Barnes loves Turner, but he won't sacrifice team before all else. To me, he is saying that until Turner is better, no minutes. I'm afraid this will linger into December and on, and that we won't have an incredibly gifted player. I hope not, but I'm afraid this may be the case.

Reactions: LibertyVol
J.J. could still get minutes. But in these games where you are a 30 point favorite a walkon getting 6 minutes isnt a big deal.

I didn't realize you were talking about cupcake games, in that case, it doesn't really matter either way.

Different scenario I know but last year Schofield rode the pine early and it was due getting his head right. Turner just hasn’t practiced enough with a healthy shoulder and had a GAME he shot well yet. Once he does he should be the Turner of old. He tried too hard to shoot his way back at the end of EKU during garbage time when walkons are chucking it up and that’s when Barnes got in his arse. Barnes is doing what he thinks will get through to him just like he did last yr with Admiral. Imo

Reactions: T_Vol376
Barnes said this is psychological, not physical. Turners shot is different than last year, whether he is overcompensating for his injury or just in a rut. Without a healthy Turner ( whether it be physically or mentally), the chances for this team to advance past the first weekend of thE NCAA tourney will diminish substantially.

Reactions: LibertyVol
Different scenario I know but last year Schofield rode the pine early and it was due getting his head right. Turner just hasn’t practiced enough with a healthy shoulder and had a GAME he shot well yet. Once he does he should be the Turner of old. He tried too hard to shoot his way back at the end of EKU during garbage time when walkons are chucking it up and that’s when Barnes got in his arse. Barnes is doing what he thinks will get through to him just like he did last yr with Admiral. Imo
I have faith that Barnes will get him straightened out.

Barnes said this is psychological, not physical. Turners shot is different than last year, whether he is overcompensating for his injury or just in a rut. Without a healthy Turner ( whether it be physically or mentally), the chances for this team to advance past the first weekend of thE NCAA tourney will diminish substantially.
No he didn’t. The quote has been playing on all the local news form the press conference. He clearly said whether it’s mental OR physical.

Reactions: T_Vol376
I didn’t see him definitively say that, sounded to me like he said it’s one or the other and that he’s not sure which.

If it was mental and not physical I don't think that Turner would be watching everybody else warm up instead of participating. Kent watches as well.

I didn’t see him definitively say that, sounded to me like he said it’s one or the other and that he’s not sure which.
Mark Pancratz said this on the Sports Source Sunday that it isn't a physical issue its mental. Not saying he knows everything that's going on but I would say he's pretty connected

Turner winced a couple of games ago after a hard foul. I wondered then if he was well. I now have the answer.

What’s everyone’s prediction on the chance turner plays Sunday? I’d say there’s a 65% chance we see him out there.

VN Store

Back