'22 TU Transfer WR Chris Brazzell (Tennessee)

Brazzell will be in the same boat Thornton was this year… having to learn a new offense, would not pencil him in as a day 1 starter necessarily (not saying he won’t be… just have to see how spring and fall evaluations go)
Kind of. Yes they both are coming into their first year in the system that they will have to learn. The biggest difference is that Brazzell has proven he can produce while Thornton had not. Bru put up 650+ yds in his first year in the system and Velus put up 800+ yds in his first year. It’s there if you’re capable.

My biggest question with Brazzell is how does he handle the uptick in competition. Tulane did not play a single P5 team this year so there is no film or evidence of how he would do against that level of CBs. He could transition great but that is a question mark to me right now.

Reactions: DrTNT
Velus, Tillman, and Payton in ‘21 and Bru in ‘22 were in their first year and those passing games were explosive. Thornton’s issues last year were unique to Thornton and Milton.
Players that took off AFTER a position switch in this system.....
Velus Jones moving from outside to the slot.
Jalen Hyatt moving from outside to the slot.
Why is it unreasonable to think that Thornton wasn't (and probably still is) about to take off in this offense after the move from slot to the outside? Especially when there's evidence to suggest just that.

Y
Velus, Tillman, and Payton in ‘21 and Bru in ‘22 were in their first year and those passing games were explosive. Thornton’s issues last year were unique to Thornton and Milton.
Yes, but all of them got off to slower starts…

Cause the recruiting services missed on him big time
Happens every year.

There are roughly ~300 Blue Chips every cycle. That means there are another 3000 filling out the FBS rosters every year.

There are diamonds in that 3000 - they’re just hard to find.

Glad Brazzell is here now. His time to shine.

The more I see this guys tape the more I think Bru isnt coming back. Then again maybe this is the year we actually start rotating receivers? I feel like up toll now we havent been deep enough at the position. But maybe im just panicking. I see us going after more WR in portal when if anything its CB, TE and RB where we have the most depth issues. We lost 7 dbs and have so far brought in like 2 guys.

The more I see this guys tape the more I think Bru isnt coming back. Then again maybe this is the year we actually start rotating receivers? I feel like up toll now we havent been deep enough at the position. But maybe im just panicking. I see us going after more WR in portal when if anything its CB, TE and RB where we have the most depth issues. We lost 7 dbs and have so far brought in like 2 guys.
Counting high school ranks it 5 guys but go off

Brazzell will be in the same boat Thornton was this year… having to learn a new offense, would not pencil him in as a day 1 starter necessarily (not saying he won’t be… just have to see how spring and fall evaluations go)
Thornton’s growth was limited by injuries. Hopefully, Brazzell stays healthy.

If I'm remembering correctly, we had nearly 20 dbs on the scholarship roster this year. It was very disproportionate to the rest of the team.

Every DB we lost was a senior, with the exception of Jack Luttrell and DeShawn Rucker. We signed 4 in this recruiting class and have acquired 2 transfers. We lose 2 more to eligibility. So that's 9 total leaving with 6 coming in. Jeudy-Lally will be the only experienced veteran we have coming back. I imagine they will try to get at least 1 more from the portal. The youth movement is on for '24 and the competition in that room will be fierce.

Every DB we lost was a senior, with the exception of Jack Luttrell and DeShawn Rucker. We signed 4 in this recruiting class and have acquired 2 transfers. We lose 2 more to eligibility. So that's 9 total leaving with 6 coming in. Jeudy-Lally will be the only experienced veteran we have coming back. I imagine they will try to get at least 1 more from the portal. The youth movement is on for '24 and the competition in that room will be fierce.

If J-Lally is playing next year we have a problem

Any reason Brazzell hasn't signed yet or UT hasn't announced it?
My guess is something to do with the numbers crunch. Can’t announce it because he technically doesn’t have a spot until the next semester or someone else hits the portal after the bowl game.

Thats the problem I see. We have some great freshman talent coming in. But all the guys with experience and actual playing time are gone. Whether or not those guys would start is less pf an issue as too much youth rarely works out especially at a position like CB. Lally gets a lot of weird hate. But so did Hadden before he got hurt and people realised what we'd lost. Jeudy Lally is a veteran corner that can contribute to this team. Losing him especially with all the other seniors gone turns our DB room into lord of the flies. You gotta have old heads.

We could very well come in with half the 2 deep next year in the secondary be guys that have never taken a snap at UT. If thats the case I'd rather those be mostly portal guys. Secondary is not a good place to get used to the speed of the game. Our schedule starts off pretty fast with NC state and Oklahoma in the first 4. 2 teams that will attack our secondary. But thats sort of an aside.

The more I look at his tape I feel like Brazell is being brought in to fill the shoes of Bru. He's an interesting guy. At first I was thinking they wanted him on right where Keyton played but thinking about it this team has plenty of guys that can fill that role Thornton, Webb, Nimrod. While we dont have anyone else that can fill Brus role. I think of Bru like JJ lite. And Brazzell could be Bru lite. But seriously our WR room is kinda weird as we are like 7 deep at slot. Looking at all the guys remaining or coming in we only have 3-4 guys whose best position is outside receiver.

Gabe had 36 tackles, 4 TFL, 1 sack, 1 INT (36 yd return), 5 PD's, and 1 FF last year.

Solid production if you ask me.
Solid but he is not great in coverage. We need better than what he gives. The interception was thrown horribly and right to him despite him being out of position. He’s an outstanding depth piece but shouldn’t be a SEC starter

Solid but he is not great in coverage. We need better than what he gives. The interception was thrown horribly and right to him despite him being out of position. He’s an outstanding depth piece but shouldn’t be a SEC starter
Well he graded out at 73.5 at corner. He's plenty good. He's not a lockdown NFL corner, but he's been a solid starter for his whole career.

It's a myth he is some kind of liability.

Thats the problem I see. We have some great freshman talent coming in. But all the guys with experience and actual playing time are gone. Whether or not those guys would start is less pf an issue as too much youth rarely works out especially at a position like CB. Lally gets a lot of weird hate. But so did Hadden before he got hurt and people realised what we'd lost. Jeudy Lally is a veteran corner that can contribute to this team. Losing him especially with all the other seniors gone turns our DB room into lord of the flies. You gotta have old heads.

We could very well come in with half the 2 deep next year in the secondary be guys that have never taken a snap at UT. If thats the case I'd rather those be mostly portal guys. Secondary is not a good place to get used to the speed of the game. Our schedule starts off pretty fast with NC state and Oklahoma in the first 4. 2 teams that will attack our secondary. But thats sort of an aside.

The more I look at his tape I feel like Brazell is being brought in to fill the shoes of Bru. He's an interesting guy. At first I was thinking they wanted him on right where Keyton played but thinking about it this team has plenty of guys that can fill that role Thornton, Webb, Nimrod. While we dont have anyone else that can fill Brus role. I think of Bru like JJ lite. And Brazzell could be Bru lite. But seriously our WR room is kinda weird as we are like 7 deep at slot. Looking at all the guys remaining or coming in we only have 3-4 guys whose best position is outside receiver.
I can agree with a lot of this, with the exception of slot. We have Squirrel, of course, but I don't really see anyone else on the current roster as options in the slot. At least not in the way they like to use our slot WR in this offense. I do think that Matthews or Staley coming in could play in that slot position. As far as replacing Bru, Javonta Payton was virtually the opposite of Bru but thrived on that left side. Bru is actually very different than anyone Heupel has ever used on that left side during his coaching career.

Reactions: Orange.
Kind of. Yes they both are coming into their first year in the system that they will have to learn. The biggest difference is that Brazzell has proven he can produce while Thornton had not. Bru put up 650+ yds in his first year in the system and Velus put up 800+ yds in his first year. It’s there if you’re capable.

My biggest question with Brazzell is how does he handle the uptick in competition. Tulane did not play a single P5 team this year so there is no film or evidence of how he would do against that level of CBs. He could transition great but that is a question mark to me right now.
Tulane played Ole Miss this year, but Brazzell didn't play in the game.

VN Store

Back