Trumpet Legend Doc Severinsen Vol Fan

JohnWardForever

Just watched a Pbs special on 93 Year Old Doc Severinsen; and He sported Tennessee apparel in every casual setting. I recommend the special; can be found on youtube. "Never too Late"
sddefault.jpg
We more mature Vols remember Doc & Johnny Carson on "The Tonight Show".

That's correct, though I'm unsure if Doc & Cathy are still together. They both played trumpet with the P.O.T.S. Band during a spectacular halftime show in Neyland Stadium.

In this article from a week ago:

Q. You’re happy in your life with Cathy Leach, who is a professor emeritus of trumpet at the University of Tennessee?

A. I don’t know how to describe it. But when I pull the covers up under my chin at night and she reaches over and makes sure that I got my arms covered and I’m all settled and everything’s OK — I don’t want to get into religion, but I thank God she came into my life.

In this article from a week ago:

Q. You’re happy in your life with Cathy Leach, who is a professor emeritus of trumpet at the University of Tennessee?

A. I don’t know how to describe it. But when I pull the covers up under my chin at night and she reaches over and makes sure that I got my arms covered and I’m all settled and everything’s OK — I don’t want to get into religion, but I thank God she came into my life.
Thanks for the information. Two great embouchures living in "Murrville".:cool:

Just watched a Pbs special on 93 Year Old Doc Severinsen; and He sported Tennessee apparel in every casual setting. I recommend the special; can be found on youtube. "Never too Late"
sddefault.jpg
We more mature Vols remember Doc & Johnny Carson on "The Tonight Show".
Laughed at "more mature"- We're just OLD!

Looks like a Bach 7C mouthpiece. That's what beginners start with and stick with. Fine for concert band but, those who like to let it rip and go stratospheric, sported a Schilke 13A4A. Or even the more daring 10A4A.
Just Sayin'
Went to school with a kid that could hit the super C when he was sophomore in high school, ahh the good ole days. I played the sax by the way

If I'm recalling my history correctly, at around 14 years old, Doc auditioned for Tommy Dorsey and was told no but later went on to be in the Tommy Dorsey Orchestra when Dorsey was playing regular concerts in Alumni Hall.

Those concerts also saw the likes of Frank Sinatra, Ken Curtis, Benny Goodman, and others.

I also remember Doc's first choice of instrument was the trombone was his arms were too short !!!

Looks like a Bach 7C mouthpiece. That's what beginners start with and stick with. Fine for concert band but, those who like to let it rip and go stratospheric, sported a Schilke 13A4A. Or even the more daring 10A4A.
Just Sayin'
he hadnt discovered Jettone yet

Here are two photos of Doc: 2017 photo with Arturo Sandoval & a 1939 shot of Doc with his trumpet.

Holy Sh¡!! Straight jazz royalty. You can draw a direct line from Buddy Bolden - Louis Armstrong - Dizzy Gillespie to these two.

I never knew Doc was an alumnus.

Reactions: feathersax
Holy Sh¡!! Straight jazz royalty. You can draw a direct line from Buddy Bolden - Louis Armstrong - Dizzy Gillespie to these two.

I never knew Doc was an alumnus.
Somebody knows their trumpet players. :cool:Don't think Doc attended Tennessee, but uncertain. Think he went on the road playing music right out of high school.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back